Neo

American Hustle (12.20.13) NEW TRAILER PAGE 35

O'Russell better than Marty? Not even in a dream when American Hustle is like a Scorsese's retro-crime/drama exercise for dummies.(Paul Thomas Anderson has done that Marty's mock up in his career as well with Boogie Nights).

O'Russell's best is past him. His truly best are his first movies until he hit big with Three Kings and then went totally demented and self-indulgent with Huckabees. Fighter is a run-of-the-mill Oscar whoring biopic. SLP is an inoffensive romcom.

Even when Marty is sleepwalking or misfiring, his movies are still among Hollywood's best of the crop.

it's David O. Russell noob

Tomato Watch:

American Hustle

Reviews: 67
Fresh/Rotten: 65 Fresh / 2 Rotten Certified Fresh
97% Fresh / 3% Rotten
Average Rating: 8.2 / 10

Cream of the Crop
Reviews: 18
Fresh/Rotten: 17 Fresh / 1 Rotten
94% Fresh / 6% Rotten
Average Rating: 8.4 / 10

General Consensus:

Riotously funny and impeccably cast,
American Hustle compensates for its flaws with unbridled energy and some of David O.
Russell's most irrepressibly vibrant direction.

Users

Reviews: 26,887
87% Fresh / 13% Rotten
Average Rating: 4.2 / 5

Still on the rise, strong start with the users.

No one has mentioned Spielberg as the greatest living Director.... :unsure:

Just counting post-2000 work, you'd put Russell, Coen Bros, Tarantino and Scorsese above Spielberg?? 

I'd definitely put the Coen's, Tarantino (my favorite director) and Scorsese over the overrated Spielberg, haven't seen enough of Russells work to make any comparisons.

No one has mentioned Spielberg as the greatest living Director.... :unsure:

Just counting post-2000 work, you'd put Russell, Coen Bros, Tarantino and Scorsese above Spielberg?? 

Only Spielberg I really like post-2000 is Minority Report. Catch Me If You Can and War of the Worlds are great as well.

The ones I really dig from Scorsese post-2000, are The Departed and Shutter Island. Neither is amazing though (imo).

Out of the directors you mention, for post-2000 work, I'd go:

1. Tarantino

2. Coens

3. Spielberg

4. Scorsese

5. Russell

No love for PTA ?

I'd definitely put the Coen's, Tarantino (my favorite director) and Scorsese over the overrated Spielberg, haven't seen enough of Russells work to make any comparisons.

Spielberg isn't over-rated. Movies like Jaws, Jurassic Park and Indiana Jones movies were transformational movies. Jaws gave birth to the whole concept of summer blockbuster. Jurassic Park was the movie that made CGI and special effects so important. He has had a few misses in recent years but that is inevitable in a career that has spanned for over four decades.

his leo collaborations have been sub par. C'mon people.... Shutter Island over The Fighter and SLP HELL NO

Yes. SLP's cliched third act drags it down. The Fighter is a solid, strong movie. Shutter Island however is Scorsese letting loose for pure genre thrills and fun and DiCaprio powers through.

Marty, Da Berg, Coens, Tarantino, Bigelow, Fincher, etc > O. Russell

• Like 6