Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

2 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Black Adam is going to be a good test if DC can take a lesser known charecter and get a hit movie the way that Marvel has been able to do.

The issue with that is that it is most definitely not an appropriate comparison. 

Marvel went through three Iron Man movies (their marquee character at the time), two Thor movies, two Captain America movies, a Hulk movie and the big Avengers team-up which turned their universe into a must-see before they got on with the Guardians, Ant-Man and so on. 

Compare that to DC, which has had a crash-and-burn attempt at Batman and Superman crossing over without building up to it, and the individual movies that were good and/or did well were either completely disconnected from the DCEU (Joker, The Batman) or might as well have been (Aquaman, WW, Shazam). 

If they had half a dozen well received, connected movies culminating in a truly memorable Justice League crossover, then ya, Black Adam would be a proper test. As is, its failure would simply be further testament to a lack of strategy, with the movie paying for the sins of its predecessors. 

The best thing they can do for it is ensure Cavill has a cameo. That will at least elevate interest for what comes next. 

2 minutes ago, AJG said:
  • Zas goes off again “chasing subs with an underpriced app and overpriced content was stupid and we’re getting away from it.

This is just him protecting himself for when they don’t reach those 140 million subscriptions by 2025

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Potiki said:

Internationally HBO Max was priced much lower and with 50% off lifetime deals. 

It's the fucking best deal, if I lose it I'm out. (amounts to $4.40 a month)

Edited by Lucas

Honestly don’t get the cut in kids and family content television wise when they’ve been much stronger at that then they’re ever been for theatrical (like apart from Paramount, they’re the weakest animation studio).

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

I think Blue Beetle will still be released just because it's quite a cool concept and as I say I think there is opportunities in animation for lesser known characters.

What if test screenings are average and the executives don't think it screams theatrical, or there is a tax write off possible if they take the loss? 

1 minute ago, Cap said:

This is just him protecting himself for when they don’t reach those 140 million subscriptions by 2025

130m and they only need another 38m from here in the next 2 and a half years, it they miss that number things are not going to be pretty, particularly as cable/pay TV subs are still in decline which is a big profit engine for Discovery. 

1 minute ago, Ronin46 said:

What if test screenings are average and the executives don't think it screams theatrical, or there is a tax write off possible if they take the loss? 

They're not going to can Blue Beetle because the loophole to write off losses will not be available.

4 minutes ago, Ronin46 said:

For starters, that could get delayed a year... Allow for the current higher profile DC movies to come out (after their own extensive reshoots), receive widespread acclaim and thereby have unlimited demand for DC products from 2024 on. Trust the ten year plan, comrade. 

Edited by reddevil19
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lucas said:

It's the fucking best deal, if I lose it I'm out. (amounts to $4.40 a month)

They were talking about moving people onto higher ARPU plans and technically the new service will mean the death of HBO Max (goodbye lifetime deal :( ) so I would make the most of the great deal while it lasts (at least the rollout worldwide seems pretty slow)

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

The issue with that is that it is most definitely not an appropriate comparison. 

Marvel went through three Iron Man movies (their marquee character at the time), two Thor movies, two Captain America movies, a Hulk movie and the big Avengers team-up which turned their universe into a must-see before they got on with the Guardians, Ant-Man and so on. 

Compare that to DC, which has had a crash-and-burn attempt at Batman and Superman crossing over without building up to it, and the individual movies that were good and/or did well were either completely disconnected from the DCEU (Joker, The Batman) or might as well have been (Aquaman, WW, Shazam). 

If they had half a dozen well received, connected movies culminating in a truly memorable Justice League crossover, then ya, Black Adam would be a proper test. As is, its failure would simply be further testament to a lack of strategy, with the movie paying for the sins of its predecessors. 

The best thing they can do for it is ensure Cavill has a cameo. That will at least elevate interest for what comes next. 

Kevin Feige and Marvel took a risk by banking their entire universe on lesser known characters for the MCU. They obviously had no real choice in the matter, but the bottom line is that they took a gamble, and it paid off. I can’t picture someone seemingly as risk-averse as Zaslav taking a similar gamble. 

8 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

I agree I made a mistake in the compasion, but for one reason you left out;Black Adam has a major box office  draw as the star who got a huge salary that DC cannot afford for all it's lesser known charecter movies.

3 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Kevin Feige and Marvel took a risk by banking their entire universe on lesser known characters for the MCU. They obviously had no real choice in the matter, but the bottom line is that they took a gamble, and it paid off. I can’t picture someone seemingly as risk-averse as Zaslav taking a similar gamble. 

Even if Zaslev wanted to take that gamble, he can't. Warners just does not have the money at the moment.

7 minutes ago, YM! said:

Honestly don’t get the cut in kids and family content television wise when they’ve been much stronger at that then they’re ever been for theatrical (like apart from Paramount, they’re the weakest animation studio).

TBH is anyone really going to shed a tear for Little Ellen? I would imagine HBO Max's family content isn't clicking with audiences which isn't too surprising, nobody associates HBO with family programming unlike Disney.