Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

3 hours ago, excel1 said:

Gunn knows what he's doing. X-Men 1 is one of my favorite superhero films and it has a shitload of characters in it. 

For the most part he’s been successful. The Suicide Squad and Peacemaker were misfires to me. It reinforced that Gunn is largely a one trick pony with how he creates film. Comparing X-Men to Guardians is beyond laughable. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

31 minutes ago, Megajohn01 said:

For the most part he’s been successful. The Suicide Squad and Peacemaker were misfires to me. It reinforced that Gunn is largely a one trick pony with how he creates film. Comparing X-Men to Guardians is beyond laughable. 

Lol okay. The Suicide Squad and Peacemaker are legitimately some of the best capeshit ever made. And don't act like just because you don't like those projects that they're bad. They're widely praised by critics and audiences alike.

6 hours ago, Jonwo said:

It's interesting that none of the big name heroes are in Superman Legacy. Metamorpho, Mr Terrific, Guy Gardener and Hawkgirl are a way to show that superheroes exist but Superman won't be meeting any of the big names just yet. 

I’d say Hawkgirl is a big name! She’s literally the 2nd most iconic female on the JL and is on a lot of fans dream rosters for the League 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jonwo said:

It's interesting that none of the big name heroes are in Superman Legacy. Metamorpho, Mr Terrific, Guy Gardener and Hawkgirl are a way to show that superheroes exist but Superman won't be meeting any of the big names just yet. 

Curious fact: all of them were part of Justice League International. A more comedic take on the League when it was filled with b-listers and well, Batman, from time to time.

8 hours ago, dallas said:

Lol okay. The Suicide Squad and Peacemaker are legitimately some of the best capeshit ever made. And don't act like just because you don't like those projects that they're bad. They're widely praised by critics and audiences alike.

I really like The Suicide Squad, for me it's one of the 5 best DCEU movies, but it got a B+ cinemascore and a huge -71.5% second weekend drop (much bigger than even all the other day and date releases that year). While I wouldn't say that means the movie was completely rejected, I also can't look at those numbers and say the movie was praised by audiences.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, dallas said:

The cinemascore for The Suicide Squad says otherwise. Yes it was released during the height of Covid but much like the 2016 film, it wasn’t widely accepted by the audience. The Suicide Squad I found to be largely predictable and significantly lacked the same impact and charm as Gunn’s prior work. Peacemaker while it has its moments had one of the weakest finales I’ve seen in the genre. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I could argue that Green Lantern is a big name, but then the big name Lanterns are Hal Jordan and John Stewart, with Guy Gardener being sort of a back up Lantern. In terms of popularity in the actual comic books, the Green Lantern frachise is definetly up there.

12 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I really like The Suicide Squad, for me it's one of the 5 best DCEU movies, but it got a B+ cinemascore and a huge -71.5% second weekend drop (much bigger than even all the other day and date releases that year). While I wouldn't say that means the movie was completely rejected, I also can't look at those numbers and say the movie was praised by audiences.

6 hours ago, Megajohn01 said:

The cinemascore for The Suicide Squad says otherwise. Yes it was released during the height of Covid but much like the 2016 film, it wasn’t widely accepted by the audience. The Suicide Squad I found to be largely predictable and significantly lacked the same impact and charm as Gunn’s prior work. Peacemaker while it has its moments had one of the weakest finales I’ve seen in the genre. 

The R-rated gory movie that started off with half the cast being killed off violently turned out to have niche interest from general audiences? What a shocker, surely says a lot about how his PG-13 Superman movie is gonna be received.

Edited by 21C
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, 21C said:

The R-rated gory movie that started off with half the cast being killed off violently turned out to have niche interest from general audiences? What a shocker, surely says a lot about how his PG-13 Superman movie is gonna be received.

There’s nothing stopping an R-rated superhero film from being embraced by the general audience. Both Deadpool movies cleaned up at the box office, got A Cinemascores, and are recognizable and beloved by the general audience. The fact that none of those things apply to TSS is because of the movie itself, not the rating or gore.

But I agree that it won’t necessarily carry over to Superman.

• Like 1

Just now, Speedorito said:

There’s nothing stopping an R-rated superhero film from being embraced by the general audience. Both Deadpool movies cleaned up at the box office, got A Cinemascores, and are recognizable and beloved by the general audience. The fact that none of those things apply to TSS is because of the movie itself, not the rating or gore.

But I agree that it won’t necessarily carry over to Superman.

The problem is that Deadpool is literally the only comparison that we can use for that;  and it may very well be that the Deadpool character just appeals for whatever reason beyond just the gore and R-Rating itself. And it's an appeal that an R-Rated gory TSS movie could not have replicated. 

There'd be decent reason to attribute Deadpool's success to Ryan Reynolds charisma, actually. 

Edited by 21C

Even Logan received an A- on Cinemascore, so the idea that R-rated superhero movies have a more difficult time on there doesn’t have much evidence behind it right now. In any case, TSS also had pretty lousy legs, so I don’t think it’s a reach to say that the general public didn’t care much for it, which sums up Walter Hamada’s time in general. 

On another note, it would be funny if this strike goes on long enough that WB will be forced to put out the Ayer Cut of SS, or even the Schumacher Cut of Batman Forever, just to have something to release. Didn’t the Schumacher Cut have a screening a few weeks ago? 

55 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Even Logan received an A- on Cinemascore, so the idea that R-rated superhero movies have a more difficult time on there doesn’t have much evidence behind it right now. In any case, TSS also had pretty lousy legs, so I don’t think it’s a reach to say that the general public didn’t care much for it, which sums up Walter Hamada’s time in general. 

On another note, it would be funny if this strike goes on long enough that WB will be forced to put out the Ayer Cut of SS, or even the Schumacher Cut of Batman Forever, just to have something to release. Didn’t the Schumacher Cut have a screening a few weeks ago? 

The strike isn't going to force studios to release cuts of flops, don't be stupid.

Edited by Jonwo

52 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Even Logan received an A- on Cinemascore, so the idea that R-rated superhero movies have a more difficult time on there doesn’t have much evidence behind it right now.

Very very very different tone. 

15 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

The strike isn't going to force studios to release cuts of flops, don't be stupid.

Neither of those movies flopped…

13 minutes ago, 21C said:

Very very very different tone. 

If a superhero film as bleak and brutal as Logan managed to get an A-, I don’t think the idea that TSS got a B+ because it was too violent holds much water. Besides, the movie had a Red Band trailer. People knew it was going to be this edgy R-rated film going in. They just didn’t find it very exciting, hence why it dropped to fifth place in its second weekend. 

Edited by WittyUsername

1 hour ago, 21C said:

The problem is that Deadpool is literally the only comparison that we can use for that;  and it may very well be that the Deadpool character just appeals for whatever reason beyond just the gore and R-Rating itself. And it's an appeal that an R-Rated gory TSS movie could not have replicated. 

There'd be decent reason to attribute Deadpool's success to Ryan Reynolds charisma, actually. 

Why not? It had talented actors (Margot Robbie, Idris Elba, John Cena, etc), a writer/director who made other successful films in another franchise, it’s in a popular genre, and came after other films that showed R-rated superhero films can be successful.

I agree Ryan Reynolds is one of many reasons why the Deadpool movies were successful. But there’s no inherent reason why R-rated superhero movies, including TSS, can’t be appealing to a wide audience. If a movie in a popular genre fails to be appealing to the general audience then that’s on the movie itself.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

Curious fact: all of them were part of Justice League International. A more comedic take on the League when it was filled with b-listers and well, Batman, from time to time.

I thought the current version of Hawkgirl was a Bruce Timm creation in "Justice League:.but I could be wrong.

Edited by dudalb

36 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

Why not? It had talented actors (Margot Robbie, Idris Elba, John Cena, etc), a writer/director who made other successful films in another franchise, it’s in a popular genre, and came after other films that showed R-rated superhero films can be successful.

I agree Ryan Reynolds is one of many reasons why the Deadpool movies were successful. But there’s no inherent reason why R-rated superhero movies, including TSS, can’t be appealing to a wide audience. If a movie in a popular genre fails to be appealing to the general audience then that’s on the movie itself.

Problem is with a R rating you are pretty much cutting of a major income stream for Comic book heros..the kids market.

Yes, Deadpool worked, but I can see why studios are slow to follow . 

35 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

The thing though is that its the combination of all those factors + the fact that it received a lot of critical praise that makes me think that no matter how an R-Rated Suicide Squad movie was made there was probably nothing that was gonna make it do any better.  It was the best version of what it could've been and still didn't connect, which makes me think that there was a problem more inherent in the concept for some reason than anything else. 

57 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Hey, in anothe thread we had somebody arguing as to why Disney shoud remake 'Treasure Planet".