Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

10 minutes ago, dudalb said:

What you forget is how much it cost to release a film.  It cost tens of millions of dollars to  get a film into theaters. 

If Warners thinks Batgirl has turned out badly and is certain to bomb, it makes sense not to add to the Red Ink.

It won't vanish, it will show up on Discovery/HBOmax or whatever the hell Warners calls it streaming service.

But still, I can't think of anything like this since United Artists oulled HEaven's Gate from theaters a couple of days after it opened.

The articles are saying no release on any platform. Maybe read the articles before criticizing geeks and fanboys and anyone else you can generalize in together and condescend to. 

2 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Please explain to me why Warners should relase a movie it thinks is going to bomb.

This is an unprecedented move whether it makes sense to you or not, I can't think of a single example in movie history when a big studio outright cancelled a near finished big budget movie, especially big IP comic book movie.

Edited by Firepower

Just now, ChipDerby said:

Name me one movie that was literally days from being FULLY FINISHED that never saw the light of day.

I think Bargirl wil lsee the light of day in some form, I think they will backtrack on no streaming release

But a threatrical release seems to be dead.

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

If boy condescending you mean I think a lot of people here don;t know the first thing about the business world, you are right.

Not released on ANY platform. No streaming, not sold to anyone. Not reshot or retooled. Just canned. Despite nearly ready for release. That is a very abrupt and sudden decision. Even people in the industry and baffled by the decision. Not just "people on here'.

I would not trust you to even run a lemonade stand. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Firepower said:

Yeah, but it was still released, it wasn't cancelled.

I admit, I am puzzled by the not release to streaming bit I can understand killing a theatrical release of a film that they think is doomed to bomb .

I note they said it would not be released on HBO Max not it would not see some form of streaming release They might try to sell it off.

1 minute ago, Ronin46 said:

Not released on ANY platform. No streaming, not sold to anyone. Not reshot or retooled. Just canned. Despite nearly ready for release. That is a very abrupt and sudden decision. Even people in the industry and baffled by the decision. Not just "people on here'.

I would not trust you to even run a lemonade stand. 

Zaslev will have to explain that for the stockholders to whom he is responsible.

He is not responsible to the fanboys.

I am puzzled by the no streaming also. it makes sense not to release a film you think would bomb to theaters, since it costs tens of millions of dollars to release a film. but dumping to streaming costs  a lot less.

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

I admit, I am puzzled by the not release to streaming bit I can understand killing a theatrical release of a film that they think is doomed to bomb .

I note they said it would not be released on HBO Max not it would not see some form of streaming release They might try to sell it off.

The initial article claims WB executives think it's an IP damaging movie, doesn't sound like something they would release elsewhere.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, belblazer said:

I need something about Blue Beetle. I don't know how long it will take until first test screening because it finished filming days ago (?).

God, Batgirl was a one off. It's not like WB s going to do this to a whole schedule.

1 minute ago, Firepower said:

The initial article claims WB executives think it's an IP damaging movie, doesn't sound like something they would release elsewhere.

We might have the new 'The Day The Clown Cried" here, folks.

6 minutes ago, Ronin46 said:

Not uncommon for WB though they never did it to a movie til now. But they infamously splurged 35M on GOT:Bloodmoon pilot only to shelve it so that even GRRM couldn't see what they shot because "it didn't grab [us] like GOT pilot did". So it makes sense that Batgirl thing happened cause there was history leading up to it. Everything is connected. You cancel a 35M pilot, you inevitably end up cancelling a 90M movie. And so on.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1