Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

2 hours ago, 21C said:

The R-rated gory movie that started off with half the cast being killed off violently turned out to have niche interest from general audiences? What a shocker, surely says a lot about how his PG-13 Superman movie is gonna be received.

I think GUnn knows enough that he can't use the same style he used for SS for Legacy.

I love the way filming has not even started, and people are dumping on Gunn for ruining Superman.

In GOTG 3, the flashback scenes telling the origin story of Rocket Racoon.  were very moving, and showed up a kinder, gentler, Gunn we had not really seen before. I think that shows he can handle Superman.

Edited by dudalb

3 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

She was part of the JLI. Not at first though. But both Hawkman and Hawkgirl were part of it:

I am not disputing that. I am wondereing about the specific intepretation of Hawkgirl.

In Timm's JL series, she is a solo heroine..no Hawkman.

11 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I am not disputing that. I am wondereing about the specific intepretation of Hawkgirl.

Oh, that. I could be wrong, but I think they do mention Hawkman in the Tim’s JL series. They have a complex history together and their origins are linked together.

And if by ‘current version’ of Hawkgirl you mean the comics, she is still linked to him, sometimes as ex-wife, former lover, estranged wife, reincarnated wife, etc. Probably an angle they are playing here as well.

It’s, well, complicated.

7 hours ago, dudalb said:

I thought the current version of Hawkgirl was a Bruce Timm creation in "Justice League:.but I could be wrong.

No, they are using Kendra Saunders.  She was made by David Goer and James Robinson for JSA.

7 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

She was part of the JLI. Not at first though. But both Hawkman and Hawkgirl were part of it:

That image is full of people who were never in it, as that image is famous for being misleading advertising.  They missed all the famous JLI comics and are not in the group thought of as key members.  They are much better known for being part of the Justice Society.

7 hours ago, dudalb said:

Both Hawks go solo at times and did it many times without Timm's involvement.  

7 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I never understood why they chose Hawkgirl of all people to replace Aquaman in the Justice League lineup. I get that they didn’t want Wonder Woman to be the only woman on the team, but they had several more viable options to choose from. 

Timm loves her costume.  They gave her many of Hawkman's characteristics to in a way use him.  It also meant nobody would be that mad when they made a member betray the team.

Oh, that. I could be wrong, but I think they do mention Hawkman in the Tim’s JL series.

In the final season he has a major role in two episodes.

nd if by ‘current version’ of Hawkgirl you mean the comics, she is still linked to him, sometimes as ex-wife, former lover, estranged wife, reincarnated wife, etc. Probably an angle they are playing here as well.

They are cursed that they will always fall in love, die horrible deaths, be brought back to life and repeat the process over and over until Hawkman has saved as many people as he killed in his first life.  They are normally happily married.

10 hours ago, 21C said:

The R-rated gory movie that started off with half the cast being killed off violently turned out to have niche interest from general audiences? What a shocker, surely says a lot about how his PG-13 Superman movie is gonna be received.

It was Gunn's choice to make an R-rated, gory Suicide Squad sequel, and having been granted a $185 million budget, he knew what the studio needed it to make at the box office. It was a mistake of judgment that he could very well repeat with the Superman Legacy concept. I, personally, am not worried for the quality of the film, because Gunn, much like Zack Snyder to me, is a filmmaker with complete control of his craft. In my opinion, people have a problem with their style and concept, not the execution. They're both great at executing their vision with perfection. I'm sure I'll like the movie because I'm a Superman fan that's actually open to different takes on the character (I love Superman The Movie, Superman Returns and Man Of Steel almost equally). But as far as box office and audience reception, I think he is in a tricky situation, because there will be insane expectations that his vision could very well not be able to reach.

33 minutes ago, Human said:

That image is full of people who were never in it, as that image is famous for being misleading advertising.  They missed all the famous JLI comics and are not in the group thought of as key members.  \

My memory might be rusty, but I 100% remember both Hawman and Hawkgirl as part of the JLI. If you are using Wiki to check their roster that thing is not trustworthy at all, Comicvine lists both of them as part of the team:

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/justice-league-international/4060-26208/characters/

17 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

Oh, that. I could be wrong, but I think they do mention Hawkman in the Tim’s JL series. They have a complex history together and their origins are linked together.

And if by ‘current version’ of Hawkgirl you mean the comics, she is still linked to him, sometimes as ex-wife, former lover, estranged wife, reincarnated wife, etc. Probably an angle they are playing here as well.

It’s, well, complicated.

Hawkman did not show up until the third season of Timm's JL,and hten for one episode. for most of the show Hawkgirl was a solo act, and had a romance with Green Lantern John Stewart.

Yeah, Hawkgirl had a complicated history.way back in 1961, when Hawkman made his Silver Age debut. she was married to Hawkman..making them the first Married Super Hero couple, predating Reed and Sue Richards by a few years.

On 7/13/2023 at 9:03 PM, WittyUsername said:

I never understood why they chose Hawkgirl of all people to replace Aquaman in the Justice League lineup. I get that they didn’t want Wonder Woman to be the only woman on the team, but they had several more viable options to choose from. 

I’m guessing because outside of Black Canary, she had the most tenure on the team in the comics. They weren’t adding Vixen, Fire, Ice or Dr Light for sure, Powergirl/Supergirl is just another Superman character and Zatanna looks to similar to Wonder Woman. It was between Hawkgirl and Black Canary, and I’m guessing they went with Shayera because they had a specific story in mind to tell, which I’m glad they did because Hawkgirls arc on the show is amazing! 

23 hours ago, excel1 said:

"I knew from day 1 that Barbie was simply something we had to do. - David Zaslav 

Hide contents

:redcapes:

If you are going to lie, make it a halfway believable  lie

Everybody in Hollywood knows Barbie was greenlit and in pre production before Zaslev took over, and was probably too far along for him to cancel without throwing a lot of money down the tube and aleinating a lot of talent.

Zaslev is fooling nobody with that comment.

10 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Still,   Zaslav and the team did a hell of a job marketing.  This is the hit they been looking for.  

I think WB's remainder of 2023 is looking strong with Dune Part II, Wonka and potentially The Color Purple although I suspect that will make the majority of its money in 2024. Meg 2 could also surprise.