A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

@Arendelle Legion asked a version of it, I wonder, where will non-Disney film hit $200mn pure FSS first. China or North America.

The current biggest non-Disney FSS is $190mn Jurassic World in NA & 2nd biggest is just $140mn (The Dark Knight iirc) while $173mn Furious 8 in China and 2nd biggest is Wandering Earth $170mn iirc. China I took without ticket booking charges gross.

Edited by charlie Jatinder

13 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

US will take until like 2022/2023

I don't see any non-Disney film do it by then tbh. Don't see any confirmed non-Disney movie do it right now. I can only see a potential Harry Potter sequel do it far into the future.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

7 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I don't see any non-Disney film do it by then tbh. Don't see any confirmed non-Disney movie do it right now. I can only see a potential Harry Potter sequel do it far into the future.

Harry Potter 8 did only $125mn and that's sort of peak. It was at that time just 66% of The Avengers, 66% of Infinity War today will be 144mn approx, which will be roughly inflated adjusted.

18 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Me neither really, almost put 2022-2024. If I had to pick a single film for it I guess I’d go for Batman sequel. I agree that concrete announced possibilities are a bit murky, but there’s also a background rate of unexpected breakout OWs to consider. At least as long as covid/streaming doesn’t leave a persistent scar.

Edited by Arendelle Legion
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Harry Potter 8 did only $125mn and that's sort of peak. It was at that time just 66% of The Avengers, 66% of Infinity War today will be 144mn approx, which will be roughly inflated adjusted.

66% of Endgame is 196 mil and with 6-10 years of inflation, it should be able to cross 200 mil FSS. I can also see The Batman sequel do it as @Arendelle Legion says.

Edited by lorddemaxus

Eh, I wouldn’t totally exclude Endgame just ‘cause it’s too huge. Using the full 357M is gonna skew stuff a bit, but otoh it’s now crystal clear what I suspected at the time — IW’s record was rather slack. For trying to do historical comparisons with % of OW record, I might average them for ~307.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

Eh, I wouldn’t totally exclude Endgame just ‘cause it’s too huge. Using the full 357M is gonna skew stuff a bit, but otoh it’s now crystal clear what I suspected at the time — IW’s record was rather slack. For trying to do historical comparisons with % of OW record, I might average them for ~307.

Ohh it is. Infinity War FSS was no small number. It's just that Endgame is next level.

IW FSS was $219mn which was $25mn or 13% bigger than TFA.

21 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

no exact word after June reopen almost impossible

so not reopen in june ? ok  maybe july idk what they are waiting for though

still have you heard when they will announce something officially though ? from the momment that they spoke about cinemas last month, cinemas will probably open in summer

Edited by john2000