A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

1 hour ago, ZeeSoh said:

Dark Phoenix with a whopping 95% drops from last Friday. Probably around 55-56m after this weekend. Total may not be much more than 60-61m. Maybe even less at 55m. Atrocious legs. 

Godzilla 2 with a 89% drop from last Friday. Dont see more than 130m at this point. 

yeah .. even less than $130 M  ... 

• Like 2

Wow, just woke up and my head is spinning with this news. Seems very bad for CBO and artistic expression to be tightening the reigns on censorship like that. And if they actually totally barred US imports+overcensor locals, I imagine theater owners would be livid.    

Silver lining I suppose is that Better Days+800 were making me pretty nervous for FFH.

Edited by Thanos Legion

1 hour ago, fmpro said:

Both are toast.

Zilla wont come near 130 mill and DP seems to be headed around 57-58 mill total

yeah doubting even $125 for Zilla.

DP doing $125 from China and Dom combined. So goodbye $300 ww, $250 here we come?

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

With The Lion King releasing on July 12, how much could it do? 2.5 billion Yuan Renminbi?

Based on what’s going on with the censors and the major Chinese releases, it looks like TLK will have a pretty free reign to run wild. If it’s received on the level of Jungle Book, or maybe even on the level of Zootopia we could be looking at a the 2nd biggest US release in China.

• Like 1

LMAO,People on the Internet talking about politics, all thought they are superior ...Always so funny to see.

But the truth,unfortunately,is that the majority of chinese people don't even care about this censorship bullshit anymore.I mean they used to,meybe 10 or 20 years ago,back when economy is still poor and lack of choices of entertainment,so you watch TV or movies(mostly pirated DVD of course).

But it's 2019 bro. People can choose to see what they want themselves.Around 149 million tarvel abroad in 2018 ,149 million,that's more than WW2 admission number lol.

You thought this is still the time where you need some sort of media to express your desire for freedom?Why not get your visa done and see it for yourself?

Normal people live their lives.

They don't care if you can't see one movie for whatever political reasons,CCP doesn't forbid you from travelling or studying abroad.

Anyway,why bring those political talks in?

The real world,which is always, nothing like that.

Just...relax lol.

• Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 4

10 minutes ago, hellnekom said:

LMAO,People on the Internet talking about politics, all thought they are superior ...Always so funny to see.

But the truth,unfortunately,is that the majority of chinese people don't even care about this censorship bullshit anymore.I mean they used to,meybe 10 or 20 years ago,back when economy is still poor and lack of choices of entertainment,so you watch TV or movies(mostly pirated DVD of course).

But it's 2019 bro. People can choose to see what they want themselves.Around 149 million tarvel abroad in 2018 ,149 million,that's more than WW2 admission number lol.

You thought this is still the time where you need some sort of media to express your desire for freedom?Why not get your visa done and see it for yourself?

They don't care if you can't see one movie for whatever political reasons,CCP doesn't forbid you from travelling or studying abroad.

Just...relax lol.

Uh, who here is talking about the censorship?

It is true there are blackout periods.

This newly heightened censorship situation is sad to hear, I was looking forward to The Eight Hundred (box office performance, not the movie itself). I don't think there's any reason to be happy that this might boost Hollywood film performances in the short term, since part of what make China box office so interesting to follow has always been the unpredictable break out of local hits, like WW2, Dying to Survive, Monster Hunt, Detective Chinatown, The Mermaid etc...

This year, aside from TWE, the offerings are slim and with elevated censorship, it's not going to get better anytime soon. Not good for the Chinese film industry as a whole, needless to say, when voices are silenced and creativity stifled. Hopefully the situation resolves itself soon.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, hellnekom said:

But the truth,unfortunately,is that the majority of chinese people don't even care about this censorship bullshit anymore.

Well, you're not wrong about that.

I've seen people defending the censorship today claiming: "well, we live in really sensitive times".

Never under-estimate people's ability to acclimate themselves to oppression. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

Well, you're not wrong about that.

I've seen people defending the censorship today claiming: "well, we live in really sensitive times".

Never under-estimate people's ability to acclimate themselves to oppression. 

Don't worry,chinese people can still watch those movies from rarbg :ph34r:.

36 minutes ago, hellnekom said:

Just...relax lol.

Lol. So the Chinese should go abroad just to watch a movie? And then what, go back to China after the movie ends?

• Haha 1