firedeep

China Box Office: General Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, WayneBorg said:

@firedeepWhat's the potential of FF9, Wonder Woman 2, Croods 2 and Minions 2 in China next year in your opinion? 

FF7 I bet somewhere between FF7 and the Jason-Rock Spinoff

WW2 600-800m

Minions 2 could be decreasing to around $100m

Croods 2 about flat from the first

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RaidensSword said:

Rock can't carry this spin off movie to a 200+ hit in China imo.

But maybe Jason S can? there is chance for 200.

1 hour ago, infamous5445 said:

How was the original Mandarin racist?

Mandarin (a word originated in the great sailing era), much like Dr No in the James Bond series, is believed to be based on Fu Manchou, who himself is widely seen as a racist symbol against 19th century Chinese. In the comics, Shang CHi is introduced as a son of Fu Manchou.

• Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, firedeep said:

But maybe Jason S can? there is chance for 200.

Maybe a low chance but Statham is even less of a star than The Rock. Meg was built around the shark as the star, people weren't turning up for a Statham movie. Even then it couldn't break 200 and that had a famous Chinese co lead in Li Bing Bing.

Mechanic Resurrection is a good example of his drawing power in China by himself with a similar kind of movie to Hobbs Shaw. I think he and The Rock's fanbases overlap a lot too so I don't see him bringing much extra to it. 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, RaidensSword said:

Maybe a low chance but Statham is even less of a star than The Rock. Meg was built around the shark as the star, people weren't turning up for a Statham movie. Even then it couldn't break 200 and that had a famous Chinese co lead in Li Bing Bing.

Mechanic Resurrection is a good example of his drawing power in China by himself with a similar kind of movie to Hobbs Shaw. I think he and The Rock's fanbases overlap a lot too so I don't see him bringing much extra to it. 

Maybe not in China where Statham arguably has a bigger fanbase.

Edited by firedeep

14 minutes ago, firedeep said:

Maybe not in China where Statham arguably has a bigger fanbase.

I'm only talking about in China. Rock is much more consistent in China than Statham and has had several more hit movies over recent years.

2 minutes ago, RaidensSword said:

I'm only talking about in China. Rock is much more consistent in China than Statham and has had several more hit movies over recent years.

Statham is not that way. His works of pirates have the widest dissemination in Chinese social media. He is known as The King of B-movie.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

Statham is not that way. His works of pirates have the widest dissemination in Chinese social media. He is known as The King of B-movie.

Yes exactly. People pirate his movies a lot, it doesn't mean they support him in the cinema. Look at Mechanic Resurrection. 

Edited by RaidensSword
Wording

24 minutes ago, RaidensSword said:

Yes exactly. People pirate his movies a lot, it doesn't mean they support him in the cinema. Look at Mechanic Resurrection. 

I think one of the main reasons people don't go to cinema for him is that he seldom have A-level production. Fighting with My Family was scheduled to open on July 19th, but few people really knew about it even this have The Rock, and the distributor pushed it back.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, firedeep said:

Mandarin (a word originated in the great sailing era), much like Dr No in the James Bond series, is believed to be based on Fu Manchou, who himself is widely seen as a racist symbol against 19th century Chinese. In the comics, Shang CHi is introduced as a son of Fu Manchou.

Great summary for those who are unaware...

Anyway..Tony Leung is getting flamed extremely badly. Just weibo his name and almost everyone is scolding him and saying they will boycott this movie and his future movies. 

I have heard that Kevin Feige called a few big Chinese stars for the role but some apparently turned it down because of the sensitivity... I think Tony Leung took it because he did not expect such repercussions or is not sure of the background; I mean I honestly don’t think he was Marvel’s first choice as Leung’s English and vocabulary is very limited.

While Chinese netizens are loud, their ‘boycott’ may not really translate to actual diminishing returns at the box office.

Edited by TigerPaw

Marvel Studios has turned to China’s ancient folklore to captivate Asian audiences and win a larger share of their lucrative market. It appears, however, to have been a risky venture for the superhero film-maker.

Film fans in Beijing initially praised the decision to cast an actor with Chinese heritage in the leading role of its first Asian superhero production but the early goodwill has soured.

There are now calls to boycott the new film, Shang-Chi. At the centre of the row are accusations that Fu Manchu, the main villain, personifies offensive stereotypes with racist overtones.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/shang-chi-marvel-risks-chinese-anger-from-bringing-back-fu-manchu-cg0q2dxq7

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Anyway..Tony Leung is getting flamed extremely badly. Just weibo his name and almost everyone is scolding him and saying they will boycott this movie and his future movies. 

I have heard that Kevin Feige called a few big Chinese stars for the role but some apparently turned it down because of the sensitivity... I think Tony Leung took it because he did not expect such repercussions or is not sure if the background; I mean I honestly don’t think he was Marvel’s first choice as Leung’s English and vocabulary is very limited.

While Chinese netizens are loud, their ‘boycott’ may not really translate to actual diminishing returns at the box office.

unfortunately China never lacks those nationlism to whom everthing is senstive and insulting

13 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

I think one of the main reasons people don't go to cinema for him is that he seldom have A-level production. Fighting with My Family was scheduled to open on July 19th, but few people really knew about it even this have The Rock, and the distributor pushed it back.

Yes, I agree but that's why he is a B movie king.

Fighting with my family is not relevant because The Rock just has a cameo in that, he produced the movie but he's not the star. 

I still think if we go by official box office The Rock is a bigger star in China right now. We can't base their star power of pirated movies. San Andreas, Rampage, Skyscraper, Jumanji are all real signs compared to The Mechanic Resurrection and Meg. 

BUT I agree Statham will help, just not a big enough impact to reach 200. 

16 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

I have heard that Kevin Feige called a few big Chinese stars for the role but some apparently turned it down because of the sensitivity... I think Tony Leung took it because he did not expect such repercussions or is not sure if the background; I mean I honestly don’t think he was Marvel’s first choice as Leung’s English and vocabulary is very limited.

7 minutes ago, firedeep said:

Wow. This feels like Marvel's first big mis step in China since their new cinematic universe. I still don't like all these online reactions when we don't know what they are going to do with the character. They are probably trying to redefine it and empower the character for a new generation. 

Of course we don't know if it will hurt box office long term, these negative articles are damaging short term for a new superhero franchise. 

I'm really curious how Marvel will react. 

Shang-Qi could be the first Hollywood title to open on the first day of Chinese New Year for the first time. Blackout period will be less and less in the future.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 5

Mmm I'm sure if that character is offensive it'll be changed for the movie

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gavin Feng said:

Shang-Qi could be the first Hollywood title to open on the first day of Chinese New Year for the first time. Blackout period will be less and less in the future.

I feel like Disney has to be pretty sure they’ll get that day in China or they wouldn’t have schedule it for then. Also, of course they’re not going to let the Mandarin or any of the iconography be racist or make China look bad. It’s gonna be awesome.

• Like 1

There are so many arguments about Shang-Qi in Chinese social media for the past 36 hours. I'm not going to talk about it specific. But some people, who are widely considered as nationalist, are angry with Shang-Qi because of The Mandarin & Fu Manchu. They are petitioning that Marvel should cut this role because the villain originally meant racist and would insult China no matter how Marvel revise the role in the film. Some already sent letters to SARFT for banning Shang-Qi(actually they sent it to the wrong address. Film Bureau now control films). 

To be fair, Shang-Qi is one of the most talked-about Hollywood film I've ever seen no matter positive or negative. Maybe only Endgame can compare with it(maybe already beyond EG).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

5 hours ago, Gavin Feng said:

Wow, what do you think it could make with that release date? 200M, 300M or more/less?