A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

7 hours ago, Ent said:

It might thanks its second release for it.

Wasn't it in the $1.8B before its 2012 rerelease ?

personally, i think we should include 2012 re-release figure, and that is a common consensus across the board. 

1) SW7 has 3D +IMAX advantage while titanic during 97 didnt have

2) SW7 has China market which explode in recent year, in 97, china is still a very small market.

Given that 2 huge difference, we should include 2012 figure into overall total, but i oppose to take in to account of adjusted inflation figure~ 

5 minutes ago, firedeep said:

At this rate, 2016 imports that could do more than TFA (looks to be about 800m):

S&B, CA3, X-Men, WOW, Alice, ID4 2, ST: B, Bourne 5, IA5, Dr. S ... 10 imports

Panda and Great Wall are local ... not imports

Even 800m seems to be the high-end now.......

Is it just me or Hollywood has been underperforming in the recent months as a whole...... (e.g. MI5, Minions, Spectre)???

1 hour ago, sgchn40 said:

Is it affecting the yoy weekly increase? Still higher than last year's same week?

I found the answer to this question via maoyan.

2nd Tuesday 2015 (13th Jan 2015): ¥43.936m

2nd Tuesday 2016 (12th Jan 2016): ¥72.633m (of which ¥39.765 is SW7)

So, looks like the market is still growing very fast (65%) despite the stock market turmoil in China.

Edited by sgchn40
wrong date

8 minutes ago, firedeep said:

At this rate, 2016 imports that could do more than TFA (looks to be about 800m):

S&B, CA3, X-Men, WOW, Alice, ID4 2, ST: B, Bourne 5, IA5, Dr. S ... 10 imports

Panda and Great Wall are local ... not imports

Is Alice = Alice in Wonderland 2? Part 1 the only number I have found with a fast glance was $33m, do you happen to know if that was the final result?

All the others seem to be part number .... of a franchise too, but I am not sure about all acronyms.

15 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

... and that is a common consensus across the board.

Not entirely, it depends on the theme of the discussion, the reason someone looks that chart up.

For a fast glance, sure, that is how it get used by nearly all.

To do research, comparisons,... to get a real feel for how to interpret older releases to nowadays releases... not without explications. As in more than one. Including the 'is not directly comparable' line added.

There is a reason why e.g. BOM adds the 're-released' sign to all of those titles that got one or more. If used that over-all like like you seem to assume, there wouldn't even be a need for that.

IMHO = yes for chart hunters, and no for people who analyze and try to learn about the impact in its time in comparison to today's movie business.

22 minutes ago, firedeep said:

Yes. No HLW breakout since JW ...

14 minutes ago, firedeep said:

January 2016 looks to be 4.2B, last year 2.65B.

Incredible... HLW is not benefiting from the frenetic growth in China. I hope the movie that can reverse this trend is KFP3. By the way, if China grows as fast for the whole year as you predicted for Jan, it will be more than US$10b even at an exchange rate of ¥6.70 to US$1!!!

26 minutes ago, Fake said:

Is it just me or Hollywood has been underperforming in the recent months as a whole...... (e.g. MI5, Minions, Spectre)???

I think it's more over-expecting based on looking only for numbers reached, but not on the reasons why they got reached (to a degree).

A lot of the general market growth comes IMHO out of regions without cinemas / other kind of cinemas / without too much contact with Hollywood movies. Local movies boom. So the introduced movies / franchises ... do rise their earnings, but not in all regions at the same percentages.

People have local movies and foreign movies to chose from. Sometimes all comes together and it impacts high, mostly there is a split up in interests. Just like in any other non-US movie market with local movies.

Plus in opposition to what I read sometimes in the forum & the net:

IMHO China develops it's own POV / taste for movies, for its own reasonings prefer this over that. It is not an automatic more more more source for foreign (and local) movies.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, IMojammer said:

Why is the WOM so bad in China?  I can understand it would be subpar (I didn't think much of the movie myself) but I have a hard time seeing it as bad.  

I wouldnt say WOM is very bad. it's just very mediocre (since the nostalgia is not working here) ... adding in the fanboy factor, hence the bad daily holds.

It's like Spectre, this tone just can't excit as many GA in China, who perfer chaotic Furouses and Transforms or 'smart', emotional Interstellars and Inceptions.

Edited by firedeep
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Is Alice = Alice in Wonderland 2? Part 1 the only number I have found with a fast glance was $33m, do you happen to know if that was the final result?

All the others seem to be part number .... of a franchise too, but I am not sure about all acronyms.

That Alice number is about right.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, sgchn40 said:

Incredible... HLW is not benefiting from the frenetic growth in China. I hope the movie that can reverse this trend is KFP3. By the way, if China grows as fast for the whole year as you predicted for Jan, it will be more than US$10b even at an exchange rate of ¥6.70 to US$1!!!

not every month can increase this much

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Not entirely, it depends on the theme of the discussion, the reason someone looks that chart up.

For a fast glance, sure, that is how it get used by nearly all.

To do research, comparisons,... to get a real feel for how to interpret older releases to nowadays releases... not without explications. As in more than one. Including the 'is not directly comparable' line added.

There is a reason why e.g. BOM adds the 're-released' sign to all of those titles that got one or more. If used that over-all like like you seem to assume, there wouldn't even be a need for that.

IMHO = yes for chart hunters, and no for people who analyze and try to learn about the impact in its time in comparison to today's movie business.

well, that's nothing in this world existed to be directly comparable, once you are released in different time frame, different year, different competitors, during demographic, different level of WOM, there wont be a directly comparison.

We just need to ensure an as fair as comparison and including rerelease data into final nominal gross is certainly a fairer comparison. However, the number of times getting rereleased should also consider like GWTW and Snow white that getting multiplessssssssssssssssssssss rerelease is really against my argument. 

But JP, star war 4,5,6,&1, titanic, well, that just re-released once or twice,so that shouldn't be a big problem in interpreting the movie performance, since we have neglected so many factor that work against them like the expansion of foreign market recently,inflation, and 3D-IMAX premium.     

10 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

well, that's nothing in this world existed to be directly comparable, once you are released in different time frame, different year, different competitors, during demographic, different level of WOM, there wont be a directly comparison.

We just need to ensure an as fair as comparison and including rerelease data into final nominal gross is certainly a fairer comparison. However, the number of times getting rereleased should also consider ....

You see, that is IMHO too cut to conditions to match the wanted outcome and as such not 'scientisitc' enough.

To be clear (again) babble about my POV on the movie business in spoiler tags, here is already enough OT:

Spoiler

I am a fan of a lot of franchises, (+ directors) .... a fan in the meaning of at max. rates of 8/8.5 out of 10 for the franchises' best parts, but also giving 5/10 rates and so on. And usually am respecting the accomplishments of franchises I am not interested in, even giving very high ratings to those (sometimes even higher than my favorites). I chear even for BOs of movies I do not like.

Exceptions:

the often enough mentioned hate/intolerance/... promoting ones, plus there is one actor who makes me - I am face-blind and see only 2-dimensional - feel ~ ill / uncomfortable only by 'seeing' him, no idea why, usually that happens only with some of the tyrants/mass-murderers... pictures/clips -  and I can not watch Inception, that trailer made me nearly puke too (probably based on my 2D-sight-only ability), so I stay away from it beside being interested in it....

Why am I even chear for those movies I do not like?

For reasons of strengthening the movie business, as I am not that optimistic about the movie business' future in like 20 or 30 years (western world based), in the meaning like we know it today.

= I do not have any interest in getting any movie / franchise or... up or down,

My only interest is into understanding the mechanics, business details, impact... behind-the-scene details as well as accounting tricks, tax reasons, local law restrictions (not explicit only China's btw) ... advertising methods, ... political / economical / population situation,... of a movie in it's time, the impact it had for the future, if research-able by non-fan means, and the changes the business makes over the years, how it reacts to new situations, technologies, knowledge and so on.

If I am adjusting BOs, I am adjusting with the usual in general business calculation models for inflation and not the one a lot of movie fans like to work, and that is the only really difference in how me and others here seem to differ in handling past BOs (meant by non-fans of YX ). Btw, my system would even help your Titanic fan-dom, as it gets e.g. GWTW adjusted on probably only the half of the BO amount the others get.

Please be aware of that general POV by me in interpreting my posts, some seem to forget that, hence the reason I added the 'like' line/explanation into my signature, and the movie business ww fan under my Avatar = I am NOT trying to take away from your movie neither even if I think the 3D version should not get added to the normal version's results, but that has reasons out of reactions by art pros and me generally not adding 3D re-released remastered.... results to the movie, especially if the movie is out of another time.

Me = a bit frustrated, hence the reason for the length of this post, if you really want to discuss my reasoning, please per PM and not OT in a thread like here

according to a German BO website (InsideKino)

Week till 10. January

# admissions % adm. total days title
1 9.194.518 --- 9.194.518 2 Star Wars VII
2 6.519.923 -48 20.010.270 12 Detective Chin Tang
3 4.643.083 --- 4.669.200 7 Sherlock
4 4.104.920 -70 26.094.930 18 Mr. Six
5 2.332.437 -74 44.916.806 24 Mojin
6 803.236 --- 803.236 0 Boonie Bears III
7 367.963 -91 21.582.154 18 Devil and Angel
8 267.390 -86 2.382.737 10 Door Guardians
9 245.363 -91 2.888.075 11 Heart for Heaven
10 70.393 --- 70.393 3 Strange Battle
  28.549.226 -37 73.809.371 week 2 sum of week 2
Edited by terrestrial

1 hour ago, terrestrial said:

I guess that those acronyms mean:

S&B (Batman v Superman)

CA3 (Captain America: Civil War)

X-Men (Obvious)

WOW (World of Warcraft)

Alice (Alice in Wonderland 2)

ID4 2 (Independence Day 2)

ST: B (Star Trek: Beyond)

Bourne 5 (Obvious)

IA5 (Ice Age 5)

Dr. S (Doctor Strange)

If SW7 is headed to 800m Yuan, I think all of this films can outgross it (some of them like CA3, WoW, X-Men or ID4 2 are locked, IMO).

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, peludo said:

I guess that those acronyms mean:

WOW (World of Warcraft)

ID4 2 (Independence Day 2)

IA5 (Ice Age 5)

Thank you a lot, that were the ones I wasn't sure / had no idea what they mean at all.

Alice I wasn't sure till I looked it up, I wan't even aware they do a new one.

ST : B = I had guessed without knowing the upcoming title, but wasn't sure, the same counts for S&B as that I thought it get's usually called Bvs.S or BvS ?

WoW is a computer game or? Sounds familiar, I think a friend of my husband is addicted t that (I do not 'game')

2 hours ago, Polaroids said:

And you think China wants or needs that.. why?

seriously? What would a country not want external investment. Its literally money being pumped into your economy and creating jobs with another countries corp's money. Why do you think China has boomed that past 15 years or so? Think about it. 

11 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Thank you a lot, that were the ones I wasn't sure / had no idea what they mean at all.

Alice I wasn't sure till I looked it up, I wan't even aware they do a new one.

ST : B = I had guessed without knowing the upcoming title, but wasn't sure, the same counts for S&B as that I thought it get's usually called Bvs.S or BvS ?

WoW is a computer game or? Sounds familiar, I think a friend of my husband is addicted t that (I do not 'game')

WoW is indeed a massive computer game played online. That is all I know about it. I have never played.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_of_Warcraft

• Like 1