A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

3 hours ago, James said:

Oh, c'mon. It's not just China. TF is bigger thatn SW in other OS markets as well. FF in a hell lot of markets. That doesn't mean you have better taste than billions of other people.  

Lets not kid ourselves. T4 made $858 million OS ($320 million in China), so just over $500 million outside China. TFA made $967 million OS, not counting weekend numbers. ($75 million from China), so just under $900 million without China, not counting  this Fri-Sun.

T4 really outperformed TFA in very few markets. (India, Malaysia, South Korea and maybe a couple of more smaller ones). F7, maybe in a few more. (5 "bigger" markets total). TFA won the vast majority of territories.

Neither of those two are very good movies, but at least you can turn your brain off and laugh and enjoy some of the over the top stunts in F7 with a cool character here and there (6/10 movie). T4 on the other hand...

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, TommyA10 said:

Lets not kid ourselves. T4 made $858 million OS ($320 million in China), so just over $500 million outside China. TFA made $967 million OS, not counting weekend numbers. ($75 million from China), so just under $900 million without China, not counting  this Fri-Sun.

T4 really outperformed TFA in very few markets. (India, Malaysia, South Korea and maybe a couple of more smaller ones). F7, maybe in a few more. (5 "bigger" markets total). TFA won the vast majority of territories.

Neither of those two are very good movies, but at least you can turn your brain off and laugh and enjoy some of the over the top stunts in F7 with a cool character here and there (6/10 movie). T4 on the other hand...

I always wonder where this famous magical switch to turn the brain off is when watching a film :).

Sunday Estimates

Boonie Bears III 42.8M/129M

Star Wars: TFA 42M/632M

Last Witch Hunter: 20.8M/61.9M

Go Fighting: 20M/77.1M

Detective Chinatown: 11.9M/726M

The Secret: 9.9M/41.3M

Mr. Six: 5.2M/869M

Solace: 3.65M/29.1M

Mojin: 2.72M/1.66B

Sherlock: 1.7M/154M

• Like 5

On 16 January 2016 at 9:05 PM, MonstersandRoy said:

I bet China would have preferred the prequels then to TFA if they were released in recent years and probably would have been more successful than this film. Big, flashy, explosions, "pretty" people, more over the top action sequences. Lots of CGI! 

Just checked Douban, and all the prequels have quite a significantly higher rating with it's users than TFA.

TFA 7.3 vs TPM 8.0 - AOTC 7.9 - ROTS -8.1.

Basically the polar opposite to IMDB ratings with those films.

Ouch... Below USD$100m for SW7

1 hour ago, TommyA10 said:

I would say that the reason ironically is the same. Many Chinese grew up watching Transformers cartoon and hence the "nostalgia". By the way, if it makes you happy, T4 ratings on douban is lower than SW7 (6.6 vs 7.3)

Edited by sgchn40
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TommyA10 said:

That is your PERSONAL preference. I for one enjoy every Transformers movie ore than I enjoy 80% of the movies coming out. So my point still stands. People should just give up on saying a certain market has a bad taste because their favorite movies don't do so well there. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, James said:

That is your PERSONAL preference. I for one enjoy every Transformers movie ore than I enjoy 80% of the movies coming out. So my point still stands. People should just give up on saying a certain market has a bad taste because their favorite movies don't do so well there. 

Of course it's my personal preference. But that is also the consensus of the majority of moviegoers around the world in this case, hence the bad RT/Metacritic/IMDB scores.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/transformers_age_of_extinction/

18% on RT (3.9/10), 51% audience score (3.2/5)

32/100 on Metacritic

22 minutes ago, sgchn40 said:

I would say that the reason ironically is the same. Many Chinese grew up watching Transformers cartoon and hence the "nostalgia". By the way, if it makes you happy, T4 ratings on douban is lower than SW7 (6.6 vs 7.3)

I'm glad TFA is rated higher than T4 there, but even if it weren't, you cannot please every possible market.

5 minutes ago, TommyA10 said:

Of course it's my personal preference. But that is also the consensus of the majority of moviegoers around the world in this case, hence the bad RT/Metacritic/IMDB scores.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/transformers_age_of_extinction/

18% on RT (3.9/10), 51% audience score (3.2/5)

32/100 on Metacritic

IMDB/RT/Metacritic are not the majority of moviegoers. C'mon now, this is ridiculous. And it's not about SW or TF anymore. It's just bias. Honestly, I can't wait till China passes the US as the biggest market because in 60% of the cases, my taste is the same as theirs.

• Like 2

I enjoyed every TF movies, and I will be there for TF5 in its midnight screening, yes I know I have a bad taste but Optims Prime is my hero. 

TF2 was almost the #1 movie in NA in 2009 until Avatar came out, just saying. Even TF4 was also one of the top 10 in NA in 2014.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, James said:

IMDB/RT/Metacritic are not the majority of moviegoers. C'mon now, this is ridiculous. And it's not about SW or TF anymore. It's just bias. Honestly, I can't wait till China passes the US as the biggest market because in 60% of the cases, my taste is the same as theirs.

How do you assess the audience response then? Box office?

RT audience score (200+ thousand votes is a very good sample) is one of the better ones.

Edited by TommyA10
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TommyA10 said:

How do you assess the audience response then? Box office?

RT audience score (200+ thousand votes is a very good sample) is one of the better ones.

RT users are mostly american so that is why as a metric it is useless. Same with IMDB. Truth is, everyone enjoys what they enjoy. I though SW was ok, my best friend was so-so, my brother hated it because he said it was boring. I liked TF4, my best friend though it was so-so, my brother thought it was ok. So, you see, there's really no way of saying that is better than that.  

13 minutes ago, James said:

RT users are mostly american so that is why as a metric it is useless. Same with IMDB. Truth is, everyone enjoys what they enjoy. I though SW was ok, my best friend was so-so, my brother hated it because he said it was boring. I liked TF4, my best friend though it was so-so, my brother thought it was ok. So, you see, there's really no way of saying that is better than that.  

There is always a general consensus regarding a movie, aka what most people think about it. Whether your personal preference matches it, is another thing all together. Most people in most markets liked SW7 better than T4 and F7.

4 hours ago, TommyA10 said:

There is always a general consensus regarding a movie, aka what most people think about it. Whether your personal preference matches it, is another thing all together. Most people in most markets liked SW7 better than T4 and F7.

In the UK we ignore the American RT system as it is a joke, because it gives 3rd rate reviewers from magazines with low circulations an opportunity to deliberately berate a film, knowing that it will give their magazine or website more notice, or click rates.