A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

13 minutes ago, Ash Skywalker said:

2. I hope that doesn't happen. Is there any chance now BvS getting a April 1st release or after the release of the Revenant?

No way BvS changes date. In China, a change of date will signify lack of confidence in the film's quality and might do more harm than good.

Both dates are set. Revenant March 18th, BvS March 24th. The Revenant BO exploding(huge success) might be an overconcern on my part though, Chinese audiences don't really like this type of genre, I initially predicted less than 150m Yuan for it, but after Leonardo Dicarpio's Oscar Win, and the huge trending on weibo and almost all chinese big forums talking about his win, I am estimating maybe a 300 to 400m Yuan...

Of course I am downplaying the effects of piracy, and overestimating the impact of online media and weibo trending. Not forgetting that Leo is going to promote Revenant in China....

Revenant will never be in BvS's league in terms of China BO, but it might impact the opening showtimes of BvS if its WOM is good and its opening weekend overperform expectations, because the situation right now is that BvS is stuck right between Revenant and the 3 Qing Ming Chinese movies.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ash Skywalker said:

So does it have a chance getting the same fate as KFP3. I know the competition BvS face aren't that big like Chineese trio released during New year but.... i'm skeptical

Apr.2-4 is 3-Day Qingming vacation.It's okay BvS open a week before.

CNY is totally different .No films can survive in a week before CNY.People are busy going home or doing year-end staff.It is the coldest week for boxoffice.

As for other vocations,Qingming or Dragon Boat Festival,it's fine to open a week before.If WOM is good,BvS can also benefit from vocation.Jurassic world open 10 days before Dragon Boat Festival last year.JW hold very well in 2nd weekend.BvS has a similar opening window.It's not bad for imported films

Edited by bangbingchan
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

No way BvS changes date. In China, a change of date will signify lack of confidence in the film's quality and might do more harm than good.

Both dates are set. Revenant March 18th, BvS March 24th. The Revenant BO exploding(huge success) might be an overconcern on my part though, Chinese audiences don't really like this type of genre, I initially predicted less than 150m Yuan for it, but after Leonardo Dicarpio's Oscar Win, and the huge trending on weibo and almost all chinese big forums talking about his win, I am estimating maybe a 300 to 400m Yuan...

Of course I am downplaying the effects of piracy, and overestimating the impact of online media and weibo trending. Not forgetting that Leo is going to promote Revenant in China....

Revenant will never be in BvS's league in terms of China BO, but it might impact the opening showtimes of BvS if its WOM is good and its opening weekend overperform expectations, because the situation right now is that BvS is stuck right between Revenant and the 3 Qing Ming Chinese movies.

34 minutes ago, bangbingchan said:

Apr.2-4 is 3-Day Qingming vacation.It's okay BvS open a week before.

CNY is totally different .No films can survive in a week before CNY.People are busy going home or doing year-end staff.It is the coldest week for boxoffice.

As for other vocations,Qingming or Dragon Boat Festival,it's fine to open a week before.If WOM is good,BvS can also benefit from vocation.Jurassic world open 10 days before Dragon Boat Festival last year.JW hold very well in 2nd weekend.BvS has a similar opening window.It's not bad for imported films

Thank you for your replies. Let's hope it will have a good WOM and it carries,resulting in good B.O numbers :)
It does have it's advantages. Bytheway how are the promotions going on?

Edited by Ash Skywalker

8 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

I believe there is the Titanic effect for Leonardo. He has a following in China.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CelestialFairyIX said:

Hopefully Zootopia does as well as Big Hero 6 even if at a small percentage! :D 

Gewara 9.3 Maoyan 9.3 Douban 9.2

WOM is even better than baymax.

very optimistic about Zootopia 

it's an original animation.It's okay If OW is not very high.

1 hour ago, Olive said:

Wow, IPM3 has a lot of discount tickets

Shi JianXiang's tactic is to induce more people to watch it with cheaper ticket prices, also alot of gifts and premiums given to ticket buyers...

Hoping to spread the positive WOM. Seems to be working. ^^

9 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Guess that means Ghostbusters won't be getting releasing in China

It should. It has always been on Sony's China release schedule of 2016. But the title has been changed from "Ghostbusters" (捉鬼敢死队) to "Superbusters" (超能敢死队) because the word 'ghost' is not allowed to appear in the title of a film or a TV show according to SARFT.

SARFT's censorship on local content is much stricter than on foreign content. 

Ip Man 3 trending on Weibo, #3 most search. Many celebrities are helping to "Retweet" Donnie Yen's and Shi Jian Xiang's posts. Crossed 100m yuan(adding presales) at around 530pm. 150m Yuan in play today. 3 day might cross 450m Yuan.

Zootopia also doing very well. 22 - 25m Yuan in play today. Will play better on Saturday and Sunday.

Both films are heating up the market which has been dead for 2 weeks.

• Like 3