A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

Exclusive: Dalian Wanda clinches deal for Legendary Entertainment - source
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-legendaryentertainment-m-a-dalianwand-idUSKBN0UJ01B20160105

China's Wanda Acquiring Controlling Stake in Legendary Entertainment

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/chinas-wanda-acquiring-controlling-stake-852068

The deal, which could be announced as soon as next week, values the U.S. movie studio at between $3 billion and $4 billion.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, The Good Olive said:

2015 statistics 

Yearly box office:44.1 Billion yuan +49% ($6.78B )

Yearly admissions: 1.26 Billion +51%

Average ticket price 34.8 yuan(-0.5 yuan) =$5.35

Total screen count: 31627 *est(+7000)

Total theater count: 6200 *est(+1490)

$6.78B? That's the entire year at the current xr, 6.5?

The first 7 months was at 6.21 then the rest of the year was mostly at 6.38. I would say 6.3 would be the average for the year. About 7B.

Any word on screens expected to be built in 2016?

Edited by No Prisoners
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, No Prisoners said:

$6.78B? That's the entire year at the current xr, 6.5?

The first 7 months was at 6.21 then the rest of the year was mostly at 6.38. I would say 6.3 would be the average for the year. About 7B.

Any word on screens expected to be built in 2016?

Yeah, I just calculated with current ER.

5 hours ago, sgchn40 said:

I suppose the expectations for 2016 will be at least 30% increase or 8.81 billion USD?

The market started off the year bad. Remember you asked about the fluctuation back in June at 5000. I said it could be a bad sign for things to come. It's looking to test 3000 again. It's sort of following nasdaqs downward pattern from 5000. It could have an impact this year on growth, jobs, city expansion and by default theater building. I'd like to see how many theaters are going up. This year will have at least a 3% deficit to make up for XR.  I'm thinking less than 20% this year in terms of dollars. April July and October are going to be tough to beat.

On Monday, January 04, 2016 at 1:21 AM, Infernus said:

No, no. I am talking about a purely mathematical adjustment. Of course all the factors that made Avatar such a huge success wouldn't get exactly replicated and few things have changed too and that is why I am considering a total one third of Avatar's total for the sequel. If I was talking about a figure adjusted with assumptions of how Avatar might have played differently in the future wouldn't I consider a total closer to that figure than a total nearly one third of that figure for Avatar 2? So, i ask again, what would avatar's gross adjust to, through a purely mathematical calculation, by Dec 2017-2018 taking 25% increases in the hollywood market in the country for the next two years. Also, don't forget to adjust using the local currency and then using today's ER to convert it into dollars (ER may get better or worse in the next two years but we can't say for sure so lets just take today's ER). I used to make the mistake of  not doing that which mostly led me to a wrong, and usually reduced, figure.

A flat out adjustment with the 2010 market would be close to $1B for 2015. $1.5b+ in 2017/18 with your projected increases.

Taking into account with the local films getting better and expansion in 3rd and 4th tier cities preferring local, the annual totals are boosted less and less by Hollywood, I believe avatar would have done far less than 1.5b+

I get what your saying. If this was a flat market like japan and it was running at 2017($10b) levels for the past 10 years, I think it wouldve been $800m~. Avatar was 14% of the annual gross in 09. As the market matures we are seeing the top blockbusters reduce in ratio like other countries.  10 percent of total BO is the max that a movie has done in Dom the last 35 year. So maybe it could be as high as 1b.

If avatar 2 does a typical uber blockbuster sequel drop of 25 to 33% then I could see 550-600m in China 2017 or a little more than one third of a straight adjustment. 

Edited by No Prisoners

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon 2(Donnie Yen, Michelle Yeoh) moved out of CNY, to February 19th. Reason given: Embracing the IMAX 3D format because most IMAX format would be given to Monkey King 2 on CNY... Don't know whether its a smart movie, but the competition then will be Skiptrace, rumoured to be release on Feb 20th.

KFP3, Mermaid, Vegas to Macau 3, Monkey King 2 will be fighting for box office crown on CNY.