China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

6 minutes ago, jiangsen said:

Monday Estimates

Star Wars TFA: 9.3M/761M

Boonie Bears III: 8.3M/225M

The Walk: 8.1M/52.4M

Last Witch Hunter: 6.05M/133M

Detective Chinatown: 5.25M/783M

All releases seem to be holding up well, with all except TFA and Boonie Bears having a less than 50% drop from Sun. Are university students still off?

30 minutes ago, hw64 said:

All releases seem to be holding up well, with all except TFA and Boonie Bears having a less than 50% drop from Sun. Are university students still off?

Yes. Primary school students out for winter break as well beginning this week. 

46 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

How on earth will KFP3 have 3x multi for its 3 day OW with having just 10 days of open run. I think 2x would be more likely.

Still don't know whether Panda can survive after Feb.8 or not.How further panda can go?Situation changes every week.Some films moved out from Feb.8.Some former local tops may underperform.Good luck to Panda.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bangbingchan said:

Still don't know whether Panda can survive after Feb.8 or not.How further panda can go?Situation changes every week.Some films moved out from Feb.8.Some former local tops may underperform.Good luck to Panda.

It's not like it will drop to......i dunno.....12th or 10th place when those locals open on Feb 8. That would be a catastrophic drop if that happens.

22 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

It's not like it will drop to......i dunno.....12th or 10th place when those locals open on Feb 8. That would be a catastrophic drop if that happens.

I mean how many screens can Panda keep on Feb 8?No one can predict it now.Showtimes is very crucial.If KFP3 can keep 10% showtimes,Panda will still fight more than expect.

Edited by bangbingchan

2 hours ago, jiangsen said:

Monday Estimates

Star Wars TFA: 9.3M/761M

Boonie Bears III: 8.3M/225M

The Walk: 8.1M/52.4M

Last Witch Hunter: 6.05M/133M

Detective Chinatown: 5.25M/783M

Good number, late legs have been good for SW7. 120-125M finish for it.

Edited by druv10

6 hours ago, The Good Olive said:

Presales for KFP3 not looking record-breaking movie, we may over predicted it big time!

500M OW, 1500M total?

Star Wars 7 MADE 9.3m on Monday, total stands at 761M, 800M still possible, but may very well stuck at 790M

An overpredicted movie in the chinese BO marked 2015/2016

Nooooooooooo :blink:. What a shock 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, fmpro said:

An overpredicted movie in the chinese BO marked 2015/2016

Nooooooooooo :blink:. What a shock 

To be fair, I think that's partly a bit based on the wow-factor of JW and Furious,... growing percentages... and also ER changes in the other direction.

7 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

To be fair, I think that's partly a bit based on the wow-factor of JW and Furious,... growing percentages... and also ER changes in the other direction.

It was based on doing $96m 5 years ago with market at 1/5 the size while other toons were doing 25m. 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, No Prisoners said:

It was based on doing $96m 5 years ago with market at 1/5 the size while other toons were doing 25m. 

edit: hence the growing percentages (more more more cinemas, tickets,...)

I think the Chinese market doesn't grow regulary/even, means e.g. new cities / newly getting a modern cinema / more spread out,.... might not pick up on already introduced foreign franchises with the same percentages like they do with locals, especially the last 2 - 3 years. Not only for reasons of less knowing, but also for reasons of another kind / style / fashion is wrong, I do not know the term, a slightly other POV... of urban youth and older than youth audience in middle sized cities to big cities devloping IMHO a taste for e.g. local movies too,...

I think 5 years back isn't the same as 2015/16 also in a few other little details

Edited by terrestrial

22 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

So based on the previews can we extrapolate the OD for KFP3? What is the reasonable final gross considering the competition ahead?

Pre-sales so far are indicating much lower than SW7. 125-150m. It should play 80% bigger on Saturday though.

Got to wait for WOM. Could be $150m or $250m+ total. It's numbers have to be strong on the 2nd weekend to hold 7-10% of shows. Otherwise it will have less than 5% and fade fast during CNY.

Pre-sales climbed 50% to 8m. Should start to pop soon

Edited by No Prisoners
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

edit: hence the growing percentages (more more more cinemas, tickets,...)

I think the Chinese market doesn't grow regulary/even, means e.g. new cities / newly getting a modern cinema / more spread out,.... might not pick up on already introduced foreign franchises with the same percentages like they do with locals, especially the last 2 - 3 years. Not only for reasons of less knowing, but also for reasons of another kind / style / fashion is wrong, I do not know the term, a slightly other POV... of urban youth and older than youth audience in middle sized cities to big cities devloping IMHO a taste for e.g. local movies too,...

I think 5 years back isn't the same as 2015/16 also in a few other little details

I agree with that.  That's why I don't expect 500m like some were saying months ago based solely on market growth. KFP2 was a phenomenon so if this follows thru it could get close to FF7 and MH but the presales are not reflecting that thus far.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, No Prisoners said:

I agree with that.  That's why I don't expect 500m like some were saying months ago based solely on market growth. KFP2 was a phenomenon so if this follows thru it could get close to FF7 and MH but the presales are not reflecting that thus far.

I wonder if there is a trend whereby family moviess "underperform" in terms of presales. 

1 hour ago, sgchn40 said:

I wonder if there is a trend whereby family moviess "underperform" in terms of presales. 

I don't think they sell as many a few days out like an AOU type release. Maybe it will pop in the last 24 hours like SW7

However, local films tend to have more presales when it comes to the morning of opening day.

The multiplier is about 2.25xPS in the morning for local/family. SW7 was 2.7, close to the HLWD norm.

It should start a parabolic trend starting tomorrow into Thursday nite.

Looks like the year is going to start off up 55%-60% for January

going to have to clear 6bY to be up 50% next month.

Edited by No Prisoners
  • Like 2