A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

3 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

Wait, really? I read some reviews, don't know whether they are paid... that said it is great?

I mean I hope it is bad, because I don't really like the MK series and hope they stop producing them. So the WOM and reviews are bad for MK2?

According to all indications, both Mermaid and Macao 3 have troubled quality while MK2 is better than expected: it's still a bad movie, but is better than its 2013 predecessor, which is even worse. 

8 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Then why are the chinese audience so eager to see it then? :huh:

Because they are local films...with local subjects or big local stars. this is when the socalled cultural barrier comes into rescue. Of course, most high-end Douban users perfer European arthouse films, Hollywood Oscar movies, British/American TV shows (Sherlock Holmes, House of Cards), Korean/Japan genre films/shows, etc. but general Chinese audience would always watch more local contents, which could be either Goodbye Mr Loser or Mojin or a hit local show like Nirvana in Fire. Take Monster Hunt or Mojin in example, in Hollywood quality standard of narrtive, they are barely C, but as Chinese local films, they are mostly reviewed as B+ or even A (by general Chinese audience).

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, firedeep said:

According to all indications, both Mermaid and Macao 3 have troubled quality while MK2 is better than expected: it's still a bad movie, but is better than its 2013 predecessor, which is even worse. 

Because they are local films...with local subjects or big local stars. this is when the socalled cultural barrier comes into rescue. Of course, most high-end Douban users perfer European arthouse films, Hollywood Oscar movies, British/American TV shows (Sherlock Holmes, House of Cards), Korean/Japan genre films/shows, etc. but general Chinese audience would always watch more local contents, which could be either Goodbye Mr Loser or Mojin or a hit local show like Nirvana in Fire. Take Monster Hunt or Mojin in example, in Hollywood quality standard of narrtive, they are barely C, but as Chinese local films, they are mostly reviewed as B+ or even A (by general Chinese audience).

General audiences, maybe they just want to relax, hard laughing & to get How much the film can entertain them. Moreover, they have to support their idols, novels & local products. The brand name "Made in China" isn't good enough in other eyes. Of course, how can the low budget products compare to ... in term of quality? But in the local context it's ok. Brainless thing also has its own value. Most of C-movies/dramas are adopted from popular c-novels. It's hard to understand the movies/dramas if we never read the novel. Not to mention culture, ex. non-Chinese never complain why Batman, Superman, Spiderman, Whateverman can fly but they always complain why Chinese people can fly in wuxia world?  

Ask for Nirvana in Fire, I think it become the international hit. 9.3 on mydramalist, 9.1 on IMDB, I don't think it's just a local show. Even Go Princess Go became a big hit too. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lihongkim said:

General audiences, maybe they just want to relax, hard laughing & to get How much the film can entertain them. Moreover, they have to support their idols, novels & local products. The brand name "Made in China" isn't good enough in other eyes. Of course, how can the low budget products compare to ... in term of quality? But in the local context it's ok. Brainless thing also has its own value. Most of C-movies/dramas are adopted from popular c-novels. It's hard to understand the movies/dramas if we never read the novel. Not to mention culture, ex. non-Chinese never complain why Batman, Superman, Spiderman, Whateverman can fly but they always complain why Chinese people can fly in wuxia world?  

Ask for Nirvana in Fire, I think it become the international hit. 9.3 on mydramalist, 9.1 on IMDB, I don't think it's just a local show. Even Go Princess Go became a big hit too. 

Nirvana in Fire is really a great production. Enjoyed it a lot. It's been a while since I practically spend days and nights chasing a tv series.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Good Olive said:

Tuesday EST:

KFP3 50M/483M

SW7 3.1M/809M ~ Heading to 820M

Great for both. I really hope KFP2 can continue to have great holds. I liked it a lot. It was very good movie. 

125M for SW7, not bad legs in the end with the doom and gloom.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MinaTakla said:

1B for KFP3 is still a major disappointment. 

this film should have earned $100m more than that.

1B is locked with these holds. Probably 80m Saturday which should lead to a 50m Monday as moviegoers will be more than double a normal weekend,  1.3B/ $200m is still in the cards.  We will have to wait for holiday legs compared to new releases to figure any higher.

$100m more or $250m total is doubtful but I wouldn't rule it out yet. Get ready to be surprised.

Pre-sales down just 7% from yesterday at this time

Edited by No Prisoners
      • Like 2

5 minutes ago, No Prisoners said:

Showtimes up to 4% now on monday. Will definitely be above 7%, probably 10%. 

Should be a 500m+ day for the market. Do the math.

That would be great and if the new openers under perform than KFP2 would be strong position for great legs.

8 hours ago, a2knet said:

What % of the Chinese gross will Fox get?

I remember reading that you get 50-55% of the dom gross but only 15-20% of the Chinese gross.

KFP3 has an investor from China so maybe that changes things too.

Fox ? Fox has nothing to do with KFP3 or any other DWA film in China. Fox is just the theatrical distributor of DWA films in NA and most parts of the world (Fox don't have DWA's films, they only get a certain rate of distribution fees for the theatrical distribution). Since The Croods, all DWA titles are distributed by ODW in China.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, firedeep said:

Fox ? Fox has nothing to do with KFP3 or any other DWA film in China. Fox is just the theatrical distributor of DWA films in NA and most parts of the world (Fox don't have DWA's films, they only get a certain rate of distribution fees for the theatrical distribution). Since The Croods, all DWA titles are distributed by ODW in China.

Ok. What % of the Chinese gross does DWA get then?