TMK2 98.5M/760M

Macau 3: 86.5M/778M

Run for Love: 35.6M/37.8M

Mr. Highheels:28.8M/31.1M

KFP3:20.4M/833M

Edited by Olive Skywalker
  • Like 9

2 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

40%? sunday BO is already at 550M. it will finish around 600m. 40% would take monday BO to 350m. I am thinking 50% drop for around 300m.

Was looking at Saturday to Monday drop to see how it compares to last year when there wasn't VD. Pre-sales at just 45m so far. I doubt it does much more than a 4 multi. 190-220 is likely.  Last year was just a 30% drop but the holiday fell much differently.

Will be 50%~ from saturday. 65% from sunday. Mermaid should take 60% of BO as others fall harder. 120m~

Panda 12m-13m. Will get back more shows.

China Box Office Week 6 (2.8-2.14), 2016
Rank Title Distributor Gross (RMB/M) Gross ($/M) Change Total (RMB/M) Total ($/M) Days
1 Mermaid
美人鱼
Union Pictures ¥1,800.0 $274.81 NEW ¥1,800.0 $274.81 7
2 The Man from Macau 3
澳门风云3
Bona ¥780.0 $119.08 NEW ¥780.0 $119.08 7
3 The Monkey King 2
西游记之孙悟空三打白骨精
Anshi Yingna ¥760.0 $116.03 NEW ¥760.0 $116.03 7
4 Kung Fu Panda 3
功夫熊猫3
ODW ¥153.0 $23.36 -48% ¥833.0 $127.18 17
5 Run for Love
奔爱
Enlight ¥35.5 $5.42 NEW ¥35.5 $5.42 1
6 Mr Nian
年兽大作战
Maoyan ¥32.5 $4.96 NEW ¥32.5 $4.96 7
7 Mr Highheel
高跟鞋先生
LeVP ¥31.1 $4.75 NEW ¥31.1 $4.75 1
8 Kill Time
谋杀似水年华
Wu Zhou ¥9.3 $1.42 NEW ¥9.3 $1.42 3
9 The New Year's Eve of Old Lee
过年好
Juhe Yinglian ¥6.8 $1.04 -85% ¥53.0 $8.09 14
10 Boonie Bears III
熊出没3
LeVP ¥5.8 $0.89 -65% ¥281.0 $42.90 30
  • Like 5

29 minutes ago, No Prisoners said:

Was looking at Saturday to Monday drop to see how it compares to last year when there wasn't VD. Pre-sales at just 45m so far. I doubt it does much more than a 4 multi. 190-220 is likely.  Last year was just a 30% drop but the holiday fell much differently.

Will be 50%~ from saturday. 65% from sunday. Mermaid should take 60% of BO as others fall harder. 120m~

Panda 12m-13m. Will get back more shows.

So, I presume you are saying that USD$500m or RMB$3.3 billion is possible.

if it falls 50% every week, then in three weeks time, it will around at $3.36 billion.

if it falls 65% every week, then in three weeks time, it will around at $2.715 billion.

I believe that the fall will be much closer to 50% then 65% for the next three weeks.

7 minutes ago, sgchn40 said:

So, I presume you are saying that USD$500m or RMB$3.3 billion is possible.

if it falls 50% every week, then in three weeks time, it will around at $3.36 billion.

if it falls 65% every week, then in three weeks time, it will around at $2.715 billion.

I believe that the fall will be much closer to 50% then 65% for the next three weeks.

The drop I'm talking about is from the end of the CNY holiday. W/O/W performance is hard to gauge with holiday and now no school. It should do over 800m thru next Sunday for a total of 2.6B maybe 2.7.  The following will see a harsher drop. It's got 3B. Not sure if it will have 3.3B just yet.

14 minutes ago, No Prisoners said:

The drop I'm talking about is from the end of the CNY holiday. W/O/W performance is hard to gauge with holiday and now no school. It should do over 800m thru next Sunday for a total of 2.6B maybe 2.7.  The following will see a harsher drop. It's got 3B. Not sure if it will have 3.3B just yet.

Understand. Just wondering if the 50% to 65% drop can be used to predict its gross by the 4th week. I know it runs longer than 4 weeks. But since foreign films can only run for 4 weeks, I thought it will make better comparison. Of course, there is still the block out period for foreign movies to consider.

1 hour ago, Baumer said:

Can someone give me a quick synopsis and background of Mei Ren Yu...The Mermaid?  260 million dollars?  WTF!

Mermaid Shan is sent to kill Xuan in order to stop his project which threatens marine life and the entire mermaid race. This brings them into falling for each other which leads a hidden organisation into hunting them down. Eventually Xuan has to save Shan before it's too late...

directed by Stephen Chow,one of the most Chinese director

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Baumer said:

Can someone give me a quick synopsis and background of Mei Ren Yu...The Mermaid?  260 million dollars?  WTF!

Directed by the most worshipped, most talked-about Chinese actor on the internet Stephen Chow. He's actually been a director for over ten years now, yet he's so well-known that even only as a director his name alone will be enough to sell a movie. But, what makes it absurdly interesting is that his most worshipped works were all from his young-actor's career and most of those never got released in mainland China (he's from Hong Kong so are his early films).  Most in mainland China got access to those films from pirated VCD, DVD and so on. That somehow created a weird and yet strong nostalgia factor, as there's now a frequently quoted slogan here on the internet "we owe Stephen Chow a movie ticket". 

Well, we all know Chinese really eat nostalgia (which is the biggest reason to FF7's Chinese breakout), and its release time frame pushed the nostalgia factor to even greater impact as the last 7 days are the Chinese New Year holiday and it's obviously the time of the year that poeple feel most connected with nostalgia.

So, Stephen Chow and nostalgia, are mainly why this $270m-in-7days happened.

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Baumer said:

Stephen Chow. One of the most iconic stars from Hong Kong. His movies have a particular style of comedy and is wildly popular throughout Greater China. In recent years, he has been directing his own movies and stopped acting. This movie is his first in 3 years. It combines his style of humour, romance, action, with an environment protection message. It is about a group of sea people trying to kill an "evil" human billionaire who is trying to destroy their home but then the mermaid fell in love with the billionaire. The CGI is honestly not fantastic and the plot rather simple. But it is funny and touching enough for most audience.

Broke the highest grossing day local movie record twice. Broke the highest weekly local movie record. Fastest local movie to hit ¥1b and ¥2b. Probably the first movie to reach ¥3 billion, with a possibility of hitting USD$500m.

Edited by sgchn40
  • Like 3

It's interesting cuz I think the Chinese market works differently.  They have more flock mentality and will watch movies if they see a lot of other ppl watching it or super high box office.  And it seems like Internet publicity does affect Chinese audiences a lot.

Just read this news: http://www.koimoi.com/bollywood-popular/baahubali-to-release-in-china-in-may/

S.S. Rajamouli’s magnum opus “Baahubali“, one of India’s biggest blockbusters, will release in over 6,000 screens via E Star Films in China in May.

“This will be the biggest ever release for an Indian film in China, superseding Aamir Khan’s ‘PK‘, which released in 5,000 screens. The makers had planned to release the film this month, however, it had to be postponed due to unavailability of suitable dates,” a source from the production team told IANS.

Hopefully it can earn more than PK did, the plot is a sprawling war epic which may find favor in China.