A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

That's my stance on it. TDK got a big fat $0 in China. Anything is better than that, and for a long time it seemed that TDKR was headed for the same fate.

China didn't want TDK because it showed their country in a negative light. Nolan should have thought twice about putting in the Chinese gangster subplot.

China didn't want TDK because it showed their country in a negative light. Nolan should have thought twice about putting in the Chinese gangster subplot.

China didn't ban the film. WB chose not to release it because they were afraid it would get banned. And the second a filmmaker starts cowtowing to a totalitarian government for the purposes of making more money, that's the second I call him a sellout. Nolan made the film he wanted to make and I'm glad he didn't give a shit about the Chinese government's ridiculous sensitivity.
  • Like 2

China didn't ban the film. WB chose not to release it because they were afraid it would get banned. And the second a filmmaker starts cowtowing to a totalitarian government for the purposes of making more money, that's the second I call him a sellout. Nolan made the film he wanted to make and I'm glad he didn't give a shit about the Chinese government's ridiculous sensitivity.

Give me a break. They racked their's brains to make TDK PG13, and that's for making more money.

I am pretty sure Nolan didn't have the $5m or so revenue that might have come from China, when he was finalizing the plot. :P
  • Like 1

Why you guys still think the current result is good ?Almost all who fellow the B.O. in China see this as a big disappointment. Both were supposed to do at least TA number but now heading to 120M-ish combined.

They are not good, but given the circumstances, they are okay.

PG13 did not limit Nolan from making a film he wanted to. One of the things that made TDK great is the IDEA itself can manifest fear among the audience. We didn't need to see limbs flying around to fear the Joker and his actions- The way a society can crumble to its lowest. The scene with two boats still gives me chills every time I watch it. Hell, the moment the Joker snaps the cue stick in front of the three thugs gets me as well.The rating switch for something like Terminator Salvation is applicable since they made it to make more money.As for the numbers, not happy but I'll take anything from China since it'll help it make over 1b with ease now.

I am pretty sure Nolan didn't have the $5m or so revenue that might have come from China, when he was finalizing the plot. :P

It's not about the revenure but how much more Warners can say TDK made WW.Also TDK would have strolled to the 1 billion WW mark instead of crawling to it if it had been released in China. :P

It's not about the revenure but how much more Warners can say TDK made WW.Also TDK would have strolled to the 1 billion WW mark instead of crawling to it if it had been released in China. :P

In the end, it 'reached' 1 Billion, so no harm done. :)

Why you guys still think the current result is good ?Almost all who fellow the B.O. in China see this as a big disappointment. Both were supposed to do at least TA number but now heading to 120M-ish combined.

I am not happy at all, I am very angry

No, they didn't.

Every major blockbuster does. For a serious crime thriller like TDK, the compromise is only bigger. I just think your tone that "Nolan is super cool he doesnt compromise with the Chinese government." is ridiculous. Every big-budget blockbuster director compromise here and there. Even James never-compromising Cameron does (on T2 he cut out a scene he really loved because the long run time would hurt the business.)

Every major blockbuster does. For a serious crime thriller like TDK, the compromise is only bigger. I just think your tone that "Nolan is super cool he doesnt compromise with the Chinese government." is ridiculous. Every big-budget blockbuster director compromise here and there. Even James never-compromising Cameron does (on T2 he cut out a scene he really loved because the long run time would hurt the business.)

I didn't say he was super cool. I said I'm glad he didn't cowtow to a totalitarian government, which is the truth.

Why you guys still think the current result is good ?

Almost all who fellow the B.O. in China see this as a big disappointment. Both were supposed to do at least TA number but now heading to 120M-ish combined.

That's more like you setting yourself up for disappointment. It's like predicting TDKR matching TA numbers in the US, and then getting pissed that it didnt even come near it.

I didn't say he was super cool. I said I'm glad he didn't cowtow to a totalitarian government, which is the truth.

But you said those who would are sellouts, and that's harsh. We're talking about 200m projects here. They are extremely risky, and the film-makers HAVE TO be compromising here and there. Not to mention China is becoming such a big market that no studios can ignore anymore.Besides, the position on TDK was quite weird. If you want to compromise, you bascially had to wipe out all Hong Kong related scenes, and that would be a big-ass compromise. It would totally interrupt the whole story. I bet if changing a couple dialogue could solve the problem, WB and Nolan would've gone for it already. Edited by vc2002

But you said those who would are sellouts, and that's harsh. We're talking about 200m projects here. They are extremely risky, and the film-makers HAVE TO be compromising here and there. Not to mention China is becoming such a big market that no studios can ignore anymore.Besides, the position on TDK was quite weird. If you want to compromise, you bascially had to wipe out all Hong Kong related scenes, and that would be a big-ass compromise. It would totally interrupt the whole story. I bet if changing a couple dialogue could solve the problem, WB and Nolan would've gone for it already.

I stand by what I said. Nolan told the story he wanted to tell. You came back with that bullshit argument about PG-13 vs. R, as if tacking on gore and profanity would have changed the story in any way. It wouldn't have. Nolan told his story and didn't give a flying fuck if it offended that piece of shit government in China. I'm glad he didn't take that into consideration at all.

I stand by what I said. Nolan told the story he wanted to tell. You came back with that bullshit argument about PG-13 vs. R, as if tacking on gore and profanity would have changed the story in any way. It wouldn't have. Nolan told his story and didn't give a flying fuck if it offended that piece of shit government in China. I'm glad he didn't take that into consideration at all.

Wow terrible Nolan worship.