A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

E-commerce Sales are ginormous. Travel/Flight Activities are skyrocketing. But, it'll probably take several months before indoor activities go back to normal. Several months that Jimbo does not have. Unlucky, especially with Wandering Earth 2 and other movies coming up in CNY. 

1 minute ago, The GOAT said:

E-commerce Sales are ginormous. Travel/Flight Activities are skyrocketing. But, it'll probably take several months before indoor activities go back to normal. Several months that Jimbo does not have. Unlucky, especially with Wandering Earth 2 and other movies coming up in CNY. 

I heard TWE probably run and move the date because of COVID

At the very least this isn't coming in below 50M ow which is somewhat of a good news given the situation I guess. Hoping for some spread out business. Whatever China does in current climate is gravy I guess.

5 minutes ago, Bruce said:

I heard TWE probably run and move the date because of COVID

Not counting on it atm but would be big for A2 if it happens.

3 minutes ago, stephanos13 said:

Are you planning on seeing the film? Also how is the situation with COVID and reopening in your area. Better times ahead (for everything in general not just BO) or it will get worse or the same?

Yes, but depends on situation, I'm planning to see it around my birthday at a late night screening on a work day with only me and partner in the theater (hopefully).

The situation around my area (Guangzhou) is bad but acceptable, many people got infected but that's about it. Social activities like eating outside or watching movies are decreasing fast and it's getting worse. I don't see better time ahead because of spring festival coming up, so far only big cities are being hit hard by the first wave, but it will get worse when it spreads to small cities where the elders are. With the weak vaccine and medical system, it probably won't get better until March at the earliest.

• Like 1

TWE2 won't move. That's really hard to believe. If they decide to move they would need move to 2024 Spring Festival. 

Also, Avatar 2 run extension depends whether they want to save cinema or their local industry in the lucrative festival. 

If Avatar gets extension and enter into the festival then it will be amazing but it will definitely backfire the local one by a huge margin 

2 minutes ago, GipJo said:

Yes, but depends on situation, I'm planning to see it around my birthday at a late night screening on a work day with only me and partner in the theater (hopefully).

The situation around my area (Guangzhou) is bad but acceptable, many people got infected but that's about it. Social activities like eating outside or watching movies are decreasing fast and it's getting worse. I don't see better time ahead because of spring festival coming up, so far only big cities are being hit hard by the first wave, but it will get worse when it spreads to small cities where the elders are. With the weak vaccine and medical system, it probably won't get better until March at the earliest.

Thank you. Hopefully it gets better for you and all the people of China sooner rather than later.

7 minutes ago, stephanos13 said:

Thank you. Hopefully it gets better for you and all the people of China sooner rather than later.

Well it's better than one month ago when you can't go anywhere without a 24 hours negative test. If you don't care about getting infected it's the best time since the pandemic. I and my partner have very sick parents so we can't afford to.

29 minutes ago, GipJo said:

Well it's better than one month ago when you can't go anywhere without a 24 hours negative test. If you don't care about getting infected it's the best time since the pandemic. I and my partner have very sick parents so we can't afford to.

Its probably better than the month+ where the biggest cities were almost simultaneously at high lockdown rates and "curb the virus surge mode". But most of the last 2 years havent been like that as far as i know in the sense that there were many 1-2 month periods when Covid numbers were low, preventive measures were harsh but no lockdowns for the big majority of the population. Avatar would have most likely done much better anywhere in the last 2 years compared to the last 2-3 months

2 hours ago, NCsoft said:

In the case that WE2 does not move, do you think it is possible that Avatar 2 gets extension and get some screens throughout Chinese NY period anyway?

I think TWE2 will move, and China  gov would want films like TWE2 to have a very good release date. (not during COVID outbreak)

At the same time, cinemas in China need to keep showing films to survive.

Therefore, I guess China will import more foreign films during the COVID outbreak.  

I would not be surprised if China decide to put "Suzume" during Chinese NY period.

Edited by John2015
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

SATURDAY PROJECTION

¥195M - Maoyan 

¥219M - Taopiaopiao

Currently, ¥83M/¥78M on Maoyan/Taopiaopiao respectively as of 11:00 CST

It's gonna massively underperform projections yet again today although not as badly as it did yesterday. What are the projections for tomorrow?