A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

China Box Office: 'Transformers: Age of Extinction' Is No. 1 Film of All Time 

Paramount’s Transformers: Age of Extinction became China’s biggest movie last week, taking $120.61 million to bring its cume to $222.74 million, outstripping the record held by James Cameron's Avatar ($221.9 million). 

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/transformers-age-extinction-becomes-chinas-717083

• Like 1

You can watch a movie like that with out story four times?

If anything, the movie has TOO MANY stories. You can say the multiple storylines mess up the main plot or some plots go nowhere but to say it has no story is just wrong.

But if you haven't watched it but assumed it had no story based on some negative reviews, don't let people who're too dumb to follow the movie fool you.

• Like 2

TF4 is being sued again for, among other things, Michael Bay geography  http://www.deadline.com/2014/07/chinese-transformers-sponsor-to-sue-paramount-movie-breaks-avatar-record/

Last Thursday, representatives of the Wulong Karst National Park located in Chongqing said they were mulling legal action against producers of the film. This followed calls for edits by another sponsor, Pangu Investments, which made headlines just before the movie’s release. The latter matter was swiftly resolved. But at a press conference on Monday, Wulong confirmed it is going forth with a suit, local reports say. Wulong, a UNESCO World Heritage site, says the park’s name was due to be featured on screen announcing the locale, but is not in the finished film. There also is concern that because the scenes immediately following take place in Hong Kong, it mistakenly gives the impression the two are nearby when they are actually over 700 miles apart. Per the Associated Press, the Chongqing Wulong Karst Tourism Co said it will sue both Paramount and its Chinese partner, 1905 Internet Technology Co of Beijing (M1905.com).

Liang Longfei, head of M1095, told local press last week that Wulong delayed payment to Paramount for five months. That, he said, resulted in “production time being very limited” and further led to a misunderstanding with the non-Chinese production team. According to the China.org report today, Paramount offered settlement and compensation, saying that all globally released DVDs and all TV and digital platforms will later show the logo. Huang Daosheng, general manager of Chongqing Wulong Karst Tourism, was reportedly not impressed, saying the loss was too great. “Without the logo or subtitles, people will never know where it is,” he said. In a statement to China.org, M1905.com said it has been actively trying to resolve the dispute and will not comment further since Wulong plans to take the matter to court. M1905 also noted in the statement, “We will reserve the right to sue false statements,” a nod to Wulong’s comments to the press about its handling of the situation.

Another brand, Hubei Zhou Heiya Food Co, is also said to be displeased with its placement deal and is consulting attorneys. “Our company is not happy,” deputy general manager Hao Lixiao told the Chongqing Morning Post, per China.org. “They promised that our products would make an impressive appearance, like an actor holding it. But it didn’t happen, audiences will not notice it easily and it wasn’t worth the seven-figure dollar sum we paid.”

amazig run for TF4 in China, I don't see how it could not make $300, This Sunday it will have made $280, so $300 is a lock, much more than i expected!

I hope it doesn't make that much money.

It is sad to have movies that don't have great stories making a lot of money. This tells hollywood that they can release movies with crappy stories and there are countries out there like China that will help the studio and the movie make a billion dollars WW.

Don't get me wrong, I liked Transformers 4 for its action scenes and the graphics but in terms of story I would definitely put it under the top 100 movies I liked. I wouldn't say its a bad story but for what its worth I can only watch this once and get it over with. Whereas when I watch a movie and like it, I will also buy the Blu-ray cuz I know I will watch it again in the future.

Who can say that Transformers 4 touched their heart :P ... I bet if this movie wasn't shot so much in China it would have earned at least $50 to $100 million less.

Its not just me saying that the story is not upto expectations.

The user rating on rotten tomatoes is at 58% from 176,000 people (The critic rating stinks at 17%): http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/transformers_age_of_extinction/

The user rating on IMDB (which is generally higher in the first month of release) is at 6.4/10 from 45,000 people: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2109248/?ref_=hm_cht_t1

Edited by Annayya

I hope it doesn't make that much money.

It is sad to have movies that don't have great stories making a lot of money. This tells hollywood that they can release movies with crappy stories and there are countries out there like China that will help the studio and the movie make a billion dollars WW.

Don't get me wrong, I liked Transformers 4 for its action scenes and the graphics but in terms of story I would definitely put it under the top 100 movies I liked. I wouldn't say its a bad story but for what its worth I can only watch this once and get it over with. Whereas when I watch a movie and like it, I will also buy the Blu-ray cuz I know I will watch it again in the future.

Who can say that Transformers 4 touched their heart :P ... I bet if this movie wasn't shot so much in China it would have earned at least $50 to $100 million less.

Its not just me saying that the story is not upto expectations.

The user rating on rotten tomatoes is at 58% from 176,000 people (The critic rating stinks at 17%): http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/transformers_age_of_extinction/

The user rating on IMDB (which is generally higher in the first month of release) is at 6.4/10 from 45,000 people: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2109248/?ref_=hm_cht_t1

I read your posts @ Japan box office before!  You are very active @ Japan box office and when Transformers 4 opened huge in China, you did say you hope Transformers 4 in China will not overtake Frozen in Japan as best non USA markets single run performances @ Japan Box Office!  The main reason why Transformers 4 performances very well in China is not because it shots in China (firedeep did explain before why Transformers film is very popular in China)!  

Edited by A K A
  • Like 1