How to Train Your Dragon II ~ August 14th

Pompeii ~August 15th

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes ~August 29th

The Expendables 3 ~September 1st

Divergent ~September 8th

Into the Storm ~September 12th

Lucy ~September TBD

Guardians of the Galaxy ~ October 10th

Is there any movie releasing on August 21st? If not HTTYD2 should have 2 free weeks then. :D

And now it's 14025. Holy crap, could it BEAT Frozen's presales?!

Hopefully. It deserves to make more and I won't be surprise if it does. We know Chinese boys do go to the cinemas when Japanese boys mostly don't.

I wouldn't say it deserves to make more.  If we were talking the first movie over Frozen, maybe I'd feel it deserves it somewhat (as far as China goes), but I found HTTYD2 to be bland and forgettable. 

Then again, the Chinese adored TF4 and many people thought it was bad in the U.S., so who knows.

I wouldn't say it deserves to make more.  If we were talking the first movie over Frozen, maybe I'd feel it deserves it somewhat (as far as China goes), but I found HTTYD2 to be bland and forgettable. 

Then again, the Chinese adored TF4 and many people thought it was bad in the U.S., so who knows.

HTTYD2 deserves to make more money that what IT (httyd2) did. 

And Dragons 2 may have been bland and forgettable for you. But it wasn't for everyone. Can't you accept that? All the topics that you come and see someone praising the film, you say it. People can't even cheer for the film to do well at the box office because it is not Frozen?? Give me a break.

• Like 6

Frozen made a lot of money EVERYWHERE including DOM so as great as it is it's already made money it deserved.

HTTYD has underperformed DOM and didn't have any major break outs anywhere so it deserves to make more MONEY than it has. And because Frozen outperformed it EVERYWHERE so HTTYD2 at least deserves to match or outperform Frozen maybe just this once because it's quality isn't inferior to Frozen even though their grosses are so far apart.

That was what I meant. Sorry I didn't make it very clear. I didn't try to talk down Frozen. I just think HTTYD2 deserves better.

Edited by KATCH 22
  • Like 3

Frozen made a lot of money EVERYWHERE including DOM so as great as it is it's already made money it deserved.

HTTYD has underperformed DOM and didn't have any major break outs anywhere so it deserves to make more MONEY than it has. And because Frozen outperformed it EVERYWHERE so HTTYD2 at least deserves to match or outperform Frozen maybe just this once because it's quality isn't inferior to Frozen even though their grosses are so far apart.

That was what I meant. Sorry I didn't make it very clear. I didn't try to talk down Frozen. I just think HTTYD2 deserves better.

Speaking as a big fan of the first film (which is why I felt especially disappointed with the 2nd), I actually thought that it was going to make $700 million at the least, and possibly a billion, due to all the hype surrounding it.  I can understand the work and effort that the team out into it (as with any film, animated or otherwise), so honestly, considering the RT score and how many people on the forum said they loved it, I'm surprised that the film hasn't made more domestically.  Especially with not much competition unlike KFP2 (which I honestly liked a good deal better), I figured the profits were going to skyrocket in the U.S., it seemed practically a given, though it seems to be at kind of a stalemate and you don't hear much about it.

I'm not saying I don't like the film because it's not Frozen.  I just feel like it lost a large part of the charm and magic that the first one had that I enjoyed a lot. 

Hopefully HTTYD3 will be much better, with the hit they had with the first it deserves to finish off well. :)

• Like 2

I enjoyed HTTYD2, it deserves better, but I do agree that it lost something from the first. There wasn't enough of the Hiccup/Toothless dynamic - those dialogue-free scenes between the two were the best part of the original. It's like how I can't bring myself to say that Toy Story 2 is better than Toy Story 1, because as good as TS2 is, it's mostly missing the Woody/Buzz dynamic that was the beating heart of the first movie.I really feel like there needed to be more between Hiccup and Toothless. Some reconciliation after THAT scene would have softened its blow...

I'm not saying I don't like the film because it's not Frozen.  I just feel like it lost a large part of the charm and magic that the first one had that I enjoyed a lot. 

It doesn't mean that the movie deserves to underperform.

Frozen made 1billion you should care less about China.

Funny, the Hiccup-Toothless dynamic was the strongest point of HTTYD2 for me. The strong connection and friendship between them allowing toothless to overcome the control of the Omega proves that I think. Animated films are tricky to predict in China so anything over $40 million is pretty sweet in my opinion.

• Like 3