A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

If the OD is indeed 68m yuan, then 600m is locked. $100m probably is, too.

W1: 210m+ (68/80/65)

W2: 250m (Overheard 3 opens on Thursday; Saturday is also a holiday; Sunday is Children's Day)

W3: 100m (Monday is a holiday; Edge opens on Friday)

W4: 30m (Godzilla opens on Friday)

This is conservative ....

Edited by firedeep
  • Like 3

I'm just happy that Spidey 2 has been crushed. It's headed for 60% drop from its last OS weekend (which was $31.5M). I really hope it doesn't surpass Cap 2 in worldwide grosses. Probably it will get to $485M by Sunday ($24M from Monday to Sunday). This means it probably won't earn more than $510M by the end of its run (with Maleficent and Edge of Tomorrow coming soon). Add in $200M in North America and it might only reach $710M. Cap 2 is at $705M but will earn more than $710M by the end of its run. It will be a photo-finish but let's hope Cap 2 stays on top. X-Men's big opening in China doesn't convince me it will do well in other countries. Also, it will be very front-loaded in China due to A LOT of competition. So, Godzilla and DOFP won't be a challenge for Cap 2's WW gross either. Of course, it doesn't stand a chance against Trans4mers and HtTYD2 but it's still funny that 3 movies in May all failed to out-gross an April release.  :P

Edited by Quigley

I'm just happy that Spidey 2 has been crushed. It's headed for 60% drop from its last OS weekend (which was $31.5M). I really hope it doesn't surpass Cap 2 in worldwide grosses. Probably it will get to $485M by Sunday ($24M from Monday to Sunday). This means it probably won't earn more than $510M by the end of its run (with Maleficent and Edge of Tomorrow coming soon). Add in $200M in North America and it might only reach $710M. Cap 2 is at $705M but will earn more than $710M by the end of its run. It will be a photo-finish but let's hope Cap 2 stays on top. X-Men's big opening in China doesn't convince me it will do well in other countries. Also, it will be very front-loaded in China due to A LOT of competition. So, Godzilla and DOFP won't be a challenge for Cap 2's WW gross either. Of course, it doesn't stand a chance against Trans4mers and HtTYD2 but it's still funny that 3 movies in May all failed to out-gross an April release.  :P

Folks at Marvel Studios must be laughing and pleased at speculations as yours, as early as the start of the year, nobody would have thought Cap would be where it is versus Spidey and X, the ones Marvel couldn't rein back in.  Credit to Cap.  Like you though, might pleased that Spidey's crushed.  Go Avengers, Go X-Men!

Folks at Marvel Studios must be laughing and pleased at speculations as yours, as early as the start of the year, nobody would have thought Cap would be where it is versus Spidey and X, the ones Marvel couldn't rein back in.  Credit to Cap.  Like you though, might pleased that Spidey's crushed.  Go Avengers, Go X-Men!

TASM2 has disappointed big time, but the X-Men have never reached the BO heights of Spider-Man and the MCU movies post-Avengers boost. If anything, the 'surprise' here (although that was the objective all along) is that DOFP has elevated the series to go neck-to-neck with the big  super-hero properties.

TASM2 has disappointed big time, but the X-Men have never reached the BO heights of Spider-Man and the MCU movies post-Avengers boost. If anything, the 'surprise' here (although that was the objective all along) is that DOFP has elevated the series to go neck-to-neck with the big  super-hero properties.

I agree that X-Men:DOFP's early performance is promising and in no way disappointing. I was never expecting it to top Cap 2 anyway. But as May release, people might have expected it to do better than it did (and might actually; it's very early to tell).

Friday ref.

DOFP:........67.4M...... (67.4M)

TASM2.......4.2M........(553M)

Both were a bit over estimaded, DOFP only got a 0.6M drop so that isn't as bad as the drop of TASM2 3 weeks ago.

• Like 3

I just don't understand this post. Even if TASM ll ends up above or below CA: TWS I will still be completely happy with TWS's run.

Wow, the China market is on fire lately. Cap, Spidey and now X-Men all around $100m, and the increases are very big over their first films. I wonder about the fate of Godzilla, are people expecting it to be another 100m grosser?

• Like 1

Wow, the China market is on fire lately. Cap, Spidey and now X-Men all around $100m, and the increases are very big over their first films. I wonder about the fate of Godzilla, are people expecting it to be another 100m grosser?

June is very crowded so it will be difficult.

35M USD OW?Wow...

35M USD OW is WORST CASE realy. (Only if sat is over est by more than 4M)

Now we are looking at 38.2M USD

Cause for a 35M opening we need a 45% drop on sunday and no way that happens XD

Edited by pepsa

I just don't understand this post. Even if TASM ll ends up above or below CA: TWS I will still be completely happy with TWS's run.

I didn't say I'm not impressed by TWS. But remaining ahead of TASM 2 WW would just be icing on the cake.

Edited by Quigley

Wow, huge Sat for X ... $100m is locked ... no way it misses it now ....  $110m happening ... if next week is big, it could even match CA2 total of $118m ...

Sunday drops are usually 20% for Hollywood titles.

If Sat goes up a little , it could actually best CA2 OW, which was 242m $39m and boosted by holidays .... didnt think it would happen. $38m OW should happen with current Sat.

And X does not have IMAX, which could boost 5~10% .... (maybe a little 5% because people want to see it would see it in 3D anyway)

• Like 3

Wow, huge Sat for X ... $100m is locked ... no way it misses it now ....  $110m happening ... if next week is big, it could even match CA2 total of $118m ...

Sunday drops are usually 20% for Hollywood titles.

If Sat goes up a little , it could actually best CA2 OW, which was 242m $39m and boosted by holidays .... didnt think it would happen. $38m OW should happen with current Sat.

And X does not have IMAX, which could boost 5~10% .... (maybe a little 5% because people want to see it would see it in 3D anyway)

Did you see it. How is WOM there?

• Like 1

IRON MAN 3 DEMOTED!

FROZEN #5 WORLD WIDE

<ahttp://forums.boxofficetheory.com/uploads/emoticons/default_smiley-happy096.gif' alt=':bravo:'>

China may have its first $300m movie soon., but Japan may beat them to it.

• Like 3