A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

On douban, it has a rating of 7.6 which is pretty good. I suspect that most people have already watched it online, hence there is no need to go to the theaters unless they really really like the film.

For an animated movie, 7.6 is just mediocre. 

• Like 1

So how long before MI5 regains the screens from Minions and Pixels seeing as they're falling pretty hard.

They shift just a % or two during the week to the better performers.  They give a few percent back on Fridays usually if there aren't any big openers.

Love the picture, "Harvey" great movie. Nice to see a classic. Anyone know Harvey, Jimmy Stewart? good stuff. The good ole days...

Edited by M F Lawrence
  • Like 1

They shift just a % or two during the week to the better performers.  They give a few percent back on Fridays usually if there aren't any big openers.

Love the picture, "Harvey" great movie. Nice to see a classic. Anyone know Harvey, Jimmy Stewart? good stuff. The good ole days...

I was walking down along the street and I heard this voice saying, "Good evening, Mr. Dowd." Well, I turned around and here was this big six-foot rabbit leaning up against a lamp-post. Well, I thought nothing of that because when you've lived in a town as long as I've lived in this one, you get used to the fact that everybody knows your name.

• Like 3

But didn't BH6, JW, AOU and maybe KFP2 all face piracy too at the time of their releases? Or it this specifically the case for Minions and MI5?

Because if all film faced the same level of piracy then the other reasons would be interesting to explore

Excepting BH6, the rest of films were released in China in a similar date than the rest of the world. However, Minions has been released 2 months later. That is a huge difference to take into account relative to piracy.

• Like 1

I'm really worried about Inside out, it has similar release date as Frozen, several local blockbuster opening the former holiday week.

Inside out will have only 10% of showtimes if not less compared to 40% of Minions.

Thinking $30M will be the roof for it.

I'm really worried about Inside out, it has similar release date as Frozen, several local blockbuster opening the former holiday week.

Inside out will have only 10% of showtimes if not less compared to 40% of Minions.

Thinking $30M will be the roof for it.

Sad to hear that :(

Anyway, I did not expect too much from China for IO.

Would minions even gross 500m at this rate. Or will magically jump 200% on friday and 100% On saturday?

Pixels is a bomb like Tomorrowland. Will not even make 100m at this rate.

Not sure if MI5 can still gross 1B. We will know after this weekend.

My projections:

Thur  13.3M  -15%

Fri  20M +50%

Sat 56M +180%

Sun 50M -11%

320-325m after Sunday.

week 3 130m(Lost in Hongkong opening)

week 4 50m(Several big local movies on that Wed)

week 5 25m(Inside out opening)

Will end up 520-530M, around what BH6 made.

• Like 4

China Box Office 

@PixelsMovie earned est. $1.5M on Wednesday. China's 2-day total is $3.6M

China Box Office

@Minions earned est. $2.4M on Wednesday. China's 3-day total stands at $28.5M.

China Box Office

#MissionImpossible #RogueNation took in est. $3.5M on Wednesday. China's total stands at $98.6M

• Like 3