A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

35 minutes ago, Tau Ceti said:

http://english.entgroup.cn/boxoffice/cn/daily/

Yes, the late legs on The Martian are taking some of the sting out of its opening. I thought after second weekend it wouldn't match Spectre but now it looks to be $10M better. 

When does the blackout period begin?

I believe it has begun for new releases, TM will play through at least next Thursday after having few shows this weekend but enough to crawl over 600m. PB took away the 639m/$100 chance I believe. Same as spectre took a hit from TP4.

Box Office: 'Star Wars' Is An Unknown Force in China
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-star-wars-is-848425

Zeng Maojun, president of Wanda Cinemas — China's largest theater group, operating an estimated 2,000 screens. 

"Star Wars will have a bigger impact in the U.S., because it means more to older generations there. To do well in China, it is the opposite: it has to reach young people ... I'll estimate $230 million. If it's effective at reaching the younger demographic — what we call the post-90s generation, which now make up 60 percent of China's box office — it could do even better." 

Yu Xin, CEO of Dadi Cinema Group — China's second-largest cinema chain, with 276 cinemas operating 1,300 screens.

"It will definitely be successful; the only thing we're waiting to see is just how successful. I'm quite confident it will break $310 million (2 billion Chinese yuan). Our young people love science fiction right now and I'm sure it will have an exciting, optimistic story. It will influence a new generation in China and create great potential for the future Star Wars films."

Lu Yao, chairman and president of UME Cinemas — one of China's longest-running movie theater groups, today operating 400 screens in 25 cinemas across the country.

"The Star Wars [prequel] movies did quite well in China when they were released, and our screen count and box office has grown by more than ten times since then. With that background in mind, I think The Force Awakens will sell roughly the same number of tickets as Transformers: Age of Extinction, [which amounted to $320 million in 2014]."

Jimmy Wu, chairman and CEO of Lumiere Pavilions — a prestige chain with 30 cinemas spread across 30 major Chinese cities, known for attracting an upscale clientele particularly interested in Hollywood imports.

"We're a smaller chain, but our audience is more attracted to these sorts of films. $200 million to $300 million is my prediction. The foreign promotion is having some impact, at least to our audience. The people who come to our cinemas like U.S. TV shows like Big Bang Theory, which has increased their awareness of Star Wars."

• Like 2

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/terminator-2-3d-release-set-849272

tumblr_lsrmg1od691qkdlzoo1_500.gif

How big this can be in China? $50 mln? $100 mln? $150 mln?

T2 was the first (or second, dependent on source) movie in history with over $300 mln OS, but never was released in China! Titanic made there $145 mln in 3D version, Terminator: Genisys $112,8 mln! I think +$100 mln is possible. $30-35 mln DOM + $10-15 mln rest of the markets.

I'm so excited!! :)

Edited by Juby

6 hours ago, Bob Violence said:

So DMG is planning to release a 3D conversion of Terminator 2 next summer...

5 hours ago, Juby said:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/terminator-2-3d-release-set-849272

tumblr_lsrmg1od691qkdlzoo1_500.gif

How big this can be in China? $50 mln? $100 mln? $150 mln?

T2 was the first (or second, dependent on source) movie in history with over $300 mln OS, but never was released in China! Titanic made there $145 mln in 3D version, Terminator: Genisys $112,8 mln! I think +$100 mln is possible. $30-35 mln DOM + $10-15 mln rest of the markets.

I'm so excited!! :)

:ph34r:

So judging by the trailers, will it be a surprise to you guys if Star Trek Beyond (shinning, colourful, chaotic Fast & Furious in Space) beats SW7 (dull, oldfashioned, nostalgia last century thing that few Chinese care about) in China ..................... 

Edited by firedeep

2 hours ago, firedeep said:

So judging by the trailers, will it be a surprise to you guys if Star Trek Beyond (shinning, colourful, chaotic Fast & Furious in Space) beats SW7 (dull, oldfashioned, nostalgia last century thing that few Chinese care about) in China ..................... 

Doubt so, but possible. 

I mean Star Wars is spending so much on publicity, red carpets with cast plus Donnie Yen... X wing in China, Marketing in Great wall of China...

I think Force Awakens will be a huge success in China. 

• Like 1

Just like to add that Star Wars fan are betting too much, or should I say over-expecting on Star Wars TFA to be huge in China. I am sure it will be huge, but not at the level of other established franchise which the Chinese audiences are more familiar with.

One needs to understand that TFA will be China's introduction to the franchise(other than the limited screening at Shanghai film festival of all the previous films even the dreaded pre-quels), and even if it is not that huge, there is no doubt that the next one will gross higher as more Chinese becomes aware of SW and Chinese loves sequels in general. With that said, assuming the same set of circumstances I would bet that Rogue One: A Star Wars story will gross more than Force Awakens end of next year in China, and Episode VIII will also gross more than TFA

The key is to understand that there is always room for improvements and no matter what TFA gross, the next one will improve upon it. This is a long term effort.

Edited by TigerPaw
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, firedeep said:

Suprise unsurpringly flops. Bona shouldn't have done that previews.

I think overall it will break-even, but there are too many major blockbusters coming out this month that it is crazy. One has to wonder by the time TFA arrives on January 9th, will audience fatigue kick in?  Every week from now until Jan 9th at least a blockbuster is coming out.

14 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

I think overall it will break-even, but there are too many major blockbusters coming out this month that it is crazy. One has to wonder by the time TFA arrives on January 9th, will audience fatigue kick in?  Every week from now until Jan 9th at least a blockbuster is coming out.

SW7 wont be as big here as many expect.

Suprise will still break even but the director and producers hoped for much more; they wanted to be another Jianbingman.  At this pace, it's not even getting near 500m. Last weekend's preview spreaded the bad WOM.