A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

On 12/23/2015, 10:29:37, firedeep said:

I am spoiled for SW7 and I agree that the movie is a shame. Basically a remake of A New Hope, It does nothing new to the Star Wars universe. It's just a money grab consuming the nostalgia.

Exactly how I feel, but you put it much better in words. Haha. =)

And the issue is, they try to reduce spoilers, reduce information given out during trailers and making it seems like a Top Secret or like the Story will blow the world away... but the plot is like Ep4, there was no secret to hide. This hype which they have created and produced prior to screening, is actually turning fans(not all since most are still infactuated with this movie) against them.

If they do this with Episode 8, fans will probably start realizing this... so please don't go down that path, Disney. 

Thursday Estimates:

Devil and Angel- 150M/156M

Mojin - 72M/924M
Mr. Six - 54.6M/59M

Surprise - 3.2M/308M

Horrendous reviews for D&A, but it will make another 80M + on Christmas Day.

96% of its OD tickets are sold online.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, The Good Olive said:

Thursday Estimates:

Devil and Angel- 150M/156M

Mojin - 72M/924M
Mr. Six - 54.6M/59M

Surprise - 3.2M/308M

Horrendous reviews for D&A, but it will make another 80M + on Christmas Day.

96% of its OD tickets are sold online.

How are audience reviews for Mojin and Mr Six?

It's official: with 8.7 om Douban, Guan Hu and Feng Xiaogang's Mr Six is best reviewed Chinese commerical film in 2015.

will have great legs.  @Lihongkimwas right that it was a 500m+ one. Mr. Six and D&A could pull a LiHK and GML.

But the first 1B crime drama probably will be Wu Zhou distributed, Bai Baihe-Chen Kun starring Chongqing Hot Pot (Huoguo Hero), which comes next Tomb Sweeping festival.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, FranMan said:

I've been reading TFA is tracking very well on social media in China, getting hits and shares far ahead of FF7 before. Sounds it'll be heavily frontloaded at least. 

That article going around is horribly misleading. Mentions on social media can be attributed to the global rollout, Disney's own marketing push, or most likely --  pop star Lu Hans involvement as ambassador (he apparently has the Guinness world record for number of comments on a tweet) -- none of which necessarily translate to the record box office numbers the Reuters article claims could happen

Edited by jiangsen
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, firedeep said:

It's official: with 8.7 om Douban, Guan Hu and Feng Xiaogang's Mr Six is best reviewed Chinese commerical film in 2015.

will have great legs.  @Lihongkimwas right that it was a 500m+ one. Mr. Six and D&A could pull a LiHK and GML.

But the first 1B crime drama probably will be Wu Zhou distributed, Bai Baihe-Chen Kun starring Chongqing Hot Pot (Huoguo Hero), which comes next Tomb Sweeping festival.

I read the novels but the visual effects seems different from what I imagine. It looks so LOTR haha. I hope they will develop The Secret of Grave Robbers, I like the series =D

2 hours ago, firedeep said:

tracking better F7 ? doubt that.

1 hour ago, jiangsen said:

That article going around is horribly misleading. Mentions on social media can be attributed to the global rollout, Disney's own marketing push, or most likely --  pop star Lu Hans involvement as ambassador (he apparently has the Guinness world record for number of comments on a tweet) -- none of which necessarily translate to the record box office numbers the Reuters article explicitly states. 

I see. Yes, the Reuters article was the one I read. I suppose it's using hype to generate more hype and actual interest.  I'm very curious at this point as to how TFA would be received in China. 

52 minutes ago, #ED2-D2 said:

olive,

Your thoughts on SW7 release date, prediction, etc.

Firedeep seems pessimistic about it, but we kinda expect that.

I’m more pessimistic than him, $150M is my prediction.

• Like 1