A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

On 4/12/2015, 8:26:04, Tau Ceti said:

Looks like it could be. What a shame. What do people in China think went wrong here? It can't just be screens as most Hollywood movies face the same issue. Clearly the WOM just wasn't as good as anticipated.

I think what these sharp drops really show is that the market isn't saturated with screens. If screen count matters so much, it means movies gross less because people can't go to see them. In other words, it is not that other films are more appealing but that moviegoers have limited or no choice of films.

Edited by quigquag33

Sunday  Estimates
The Martian: 30.3M/482M
Point Break:27.3m/75.9m

Fall In Love Like A Star:21.8M/98M
Impossible:16.3M/53.7M
The SpongeBob Movie:12.5M/32.8M

The Baby From Universe:11M/38.5M
Our Times: 8.3M/328M
Go Lala Go:8.1M/26.5M

Point Break had a great hold on Sunday.

The Martian still have chance to climb over 600M yuan,but 100M USD seems gone.

• Like 7

Monday Estimates

Point Break:13m/88.8m

The Martian: 8.4M/491M
Fall In Love Like A Star:8M/106M
Impossible:7.5M/61.5M
The Baby From Universe:3.35M/41.95M
Our Times: 3.3M/331M
The SpongeBob Movie:0.65M/33.5M

• Like 6

2 hours ago, firedeep said:

Mermaid seems not moving from CNY... Union Pictures distributing. 

Crounching Tiger 2 trailer released: http://news.mtime.com/2015/12/08/1550063.html, going to bomb ...

Can't imagine 2016 Feb box office !!!

CTHD 2's trailer looks bad, English speaking, a lot of special effects, non-Chinese casts, bad music.

Tuesday Estimates

Point Break: 13.5m/103m

The Martian: 8.4M/500M
Fall In Love Like A Star: 6.95M/113M
Impossible: 7.2M/68.72M

Go Lala Go 2: 3.2M/33.2M

Our Times: 3.15M/332M
Oh My God: 2.75M/45.8M
The SpongeBob Movie:0.66M/34.25M

Nice bump for PB and TM holds even...still quite a depressed market.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lihongkim said:

Can't imagine 2016 Feb box office !!!

CTHD 2's trailer looks bad, English speaking, a lot of special effects, non-Chinese casts, bad music.

Apparently Bey Logan is doing the Mandarin Dub. Donnie Yen and Michelle Yeoh should be able to make the film a break-even. I do agree that the trailer... can be improved, the music is bad, but the action is good. 

PS: I have a few friends who were invited for the New York Test-screenings 3 weeks back, they all had good things to say about the film, and that was before reshoots and editing, just a very raw version. I would think it is better now.

Edited by TigerPaw

2 hours ago, Peachy said:

Mermaid is already starting promotions and they're going to have a press conference later today. It's definitely a go for CNY.

CNY is good, like to see the War between Vegas to Macau 3 and Mermaid.

I have watched both Vegas to Macau, medicore films to be honest, but the commercial value to China is just... HUGE, especially with the cameos and additional stars in this one. Mermad is directed by stephen chow but mostly stars mainland celebritiies and even taiwan celebrities. They are not the same genre, but in China, even genre cannibalise if they are released on the same date. lol

13 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

Apparently Bey Logan is doing the Mandarin Dub. Donnie Yen and Michelle Yeoh should be able to make the film a break-even. I do agree that the trailer... can be improved, the music is bad, but the action is good. 

PS: I have a few friends who were invited for the New York Test-screenings 3 weeks back, they all had good things to say about the film, and that was before reshoots and editing, just a very raw version. I would think it is better now.

I don't feel it's like Chinese classical movie. It's more Westernized. Btw, your info make me happier. Sound like it will not be disappointed. Donnie Yen gonna break out next year, Ip Man 3, CTHD 2 & Star Wars 8.

8 hours ago, Peachy said:

Mermaid is already starting promotions and they're going to have a press conference later today. It's definitely a go for CNY.

6 movies confirmed CNY release :

1- Mermaid

2- The Monkey King : White Bone Spirit

3- From Vegas To Macau 3

4- Crazy Nian

5- Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon : Sword of Destiny 

6- Lost in Pacific

Will it be more? It's already too crowd. 

Mermaid trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jskKf5YDDAI This is going to be a hit. And it's confirmed for CNY.

6 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

CNY is good, like to see the War between Vegas to Macau 3 and Mermaid.

I have watched both Vegas to Macau, medicore films to be honest, but the commercial value to China is just... HUGE, especially with the cameos and additional stars in this one. Mermad is directed by stephen chow but mostly stars mainland celebritiies and even taiwan celebrities. They are not the same genre, but in China, even genre cannibalise if they are released on the same date. lol

I'm putting my bet on Mermaid. I honestly think one of the reasons Vegas to Macau did so well this year is because the competition was pretty stale.. Dragon Blade was awful and a comedy film (in this case Vegas to Macau 2) will always win. Since Mermaid and Vegas to Macau are both comedy films, I'm going to lean on Mermaid making more overall via word of mouth and popular actors.

51 minutes ago, Lihongkim said:

I don't feel it's like Chinese classical movie. It's more Westernized. Btw, your info make me happier. Sound like it will not be disappointed. Donnie Yen gonna break out next year, Ip Man 3, CTHD 2 & Star Wars 8.

6 movies confirmed CNY release :

1- Mermaid

2- The Monkey King : White Bone Spirit

3- From Vegas To Macau 3

4- Crazy Nian

5- Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon : Sword of Destiny 

6- Lost in Pacific

Will it be more? It's already too crowd. 

Yes, it's crowded but it's been a trend. Over 7 movies premiered during CNY this year.

Edited by Peachy
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Peachy said:

Mermaid trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jskKf5YDDAI This is going to be a hit. And it's confirmed for CNY.

I'm putting my bet on Mermaid. I honestly think one of the reasons Vegas to Macau did so well this year is because the competition was pretty stale.. Dragon Blade was awful and a comedy film (in this case Vegas to Macau 2) will always win. Since Mermaid and Vegas to Macau are both comedy films, I'm going to lean on Mermaid making more overall via word of mouth and popular actors.

Yes, it's crowded but it's been a trend. Over 7 movies premiered during CNY this year.

So fast !!! It just came few min ago. I personally love Deng Chao very much. He is my RM captain. 

19 minutes ago, Lihongkim said:

So fast !!! It just came few min ago. I personally love Deng Chao very much. He is my RM captain. 

I'm neutral about Deng Chao but I trust Stephen's direction so this is bound to be funny. Show Luo is also in this movie. Kris Wu cameos.