A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

2 minutes ago, porginchina said:

DreamWorks Animation's The Bad Guys approved for Chinese release; in the animated realm, still no word on Pixar's Turning Red. At this point, definitely looks like Disney is on Beijing's bad side as they're just not securing favorable release dates.

Turning red is on d+ for free, i dont even think that it will get a chinese release.

41 minutes ago, john2000 said:

Turning red is on d+ for free, i dont even think that it will get a chinese release.

Luca was released in Chinese theaters about two months after its Disney+ debut; Encanto hit Chinese theaters a few weeks after it appeared on Disney+ (Soul hit Chinese theaters day-and-date with its Disney+ release and did really well). There's certainly precedent for Turning Red to release in China, even/especially after the movie's easily available to pirate.

Wouldn't be surprised if Beijing authorities are waiting for the Turning Red press cycle to wrap in the States to make sure that director Domee Shi doesn't say anything that goes against Beijing's interests a la Chloe Zhao or Simu Liu.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bruce said:

I can't be sure,But I heard some news that the situation imported of HLW film this year have some change this year,maybe some Marvel film have a chance for releasing in China(Once again,I can't be sure.)

I wouldn't be surprised if things do soften up a bit this year. If the next few weeks are particularly egregious for China's box office sputtering and the US/Canada roaring back with a vengeance, maybe that could be a trigger for Beijing to relax a little bit more with the imported movies. (Plus, the Party's 100th anniversary is now over and the Beijing Winter Olympics are also over, so those factors should no longer be major factors)

Quasi-related, but I was browsing the Global Times the other day to get a sense of what the CCP has to say about the whole Russia-Ukraine situation and scrolled down the webpage to find that they had bizarrely posted an article about Benedict Cumberbatch getting a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame (https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202203/1253610.shtml), which… might possibly be a sign of hope for Multiverse of Madness???

4 minutes ago, porginchina said:

which… might possibly be a sign of hope for Multiverse of Madness???

The plan is to become the biggest Global Market. So, Ideally, Beijing seem to relax rules as I thought back with a significant number of titles finding way to release.

32 minutes ago, porginchina said:

I wouldn't be surprised if things do soften up a bit this year. If the next few weeks are particularly egregious for China's box office sputtering and the US/Canada roaring back with a vengeance, maybe that could be a trigger for Beijing to relax a little bit more with the imported movies. (Plus, the Party's 100th anniversary is now over and the Beijing Winter Olympics are also over, so those factors should no longer be major factors)

Quasi-related, but I was browsing the Global Times the other day to get a sense of what the CCP has to say about the whole Russia-Ukraine situation and scrolled down the webpage to find that they had bizarrely posted an article about Benedict Cumberbatch getting a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame (https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202203/1253610.shtml), which… might possibly be a sign of hope for Multiverse of Madness???

I really hope DS2 will release in China,who knows,We already missed NWH.

32 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

The plan is to become the biggest Global Market. So, Ideally, Beijing seem to relax rules as I thought back with a significant number of titles finding way to release.

hey,maybe I'm not an expert of using BOT,could you tell me why when you guys quoted other people ,the sentense just show up with the part which you want to quote?

Edited by Bruce

13 minutes ago, Bruce said:

I really hope DS2 will release in China,who knows,We already missed NWH.

There's always a possibility for No Way Home getting a massively delayed release at some point (the movie's reportedly made it past censorship and I could see the government allowing it into theaters well after piracy has taken its bite specifically to demonstrate that the Chinese audience won't automatically come out for anything Marvel).

For quoting a specific selection, just highlight the sentence; an option should pop up allowing you to quote the selection. Hope that helped!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bruce said:

hey,maybe I'm not an expert of using BOT,could you tell me why when you guys quoted other people ,the sentense just show up with the part which you want to quote?

1 hour ago, porginchina said:

For quoting a specific selection, just highlight the sentence; an option should pop up allowing you to quote the selection. Hope that helped!

Porginchina already mentioned the best way to do this but another crude way to do it would be to simply select and delete the sections you dont want of the post you are quoting. When you are quoting someone you can edit their post (in your quotation).

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ThatWaluigiDude said:

Is there any information about pre-sales for Uncharted and The Batman? (Better yet: will these movies get pre-sales? I can't tell much from the Maoyan site).

Every movie gets presales to some extent given the paramount importance of online ticket selling in China, but ticket sales may not start until very shortly before release (it varies, widely, depending on the movie). I'd expect ticket sales to start up within a week of the respective release dates, maybe a few days in advance.

China moviegoing fun fact: there are generally two prices for each showtime— the price you can find at the theater, and then the price you can get through a ticketing platform like Maoyan. Prices at the theater are normally about twice as expensive as prices on mobile ticketing, which is why almost all movie tickets in China are sold in advance.

I'm not expecting either movie to do fantastically. Uncharted has a handful of weekdays with premium screens, although it could claw back into IMAX if Chinese moviegoers don't feel like taking a trip to Gotham City; Batman should skew very heavily towards first- and second-tier cities; while lots of moviegoers live in those cities (like me!!), tapping the true potential of the Chinese box office market requires a product that'll sell seats even in more rural parts of the country. Based on the reviews I've read of Batman (trying to stay spoiler-free until I have the chance to see the movie in a few weeks), I'm expecting it to have relatively niche appeal in China with its grimdark tone, hefty runtime, and relative lack of action scenes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well, as expected, a lowly Saturday at the Chinese box office… 78 million RMB so far across all movies with ~40 minutes to go until midnight, Beijing time. Changjin II leads with ~19 million RMB Saturday (which converts to $3 million for the top-grossing movie in the world's largest box office market).

For reference, 2022's so far seen two Saturdays below ¥100 million (the two weeks leading up to Spring Festival, which are expected to be sad & pathetic). Outside of pre-holiday Saturdays when new releases are scares, there's no reason for the box office to dip so low. The question now is, how low can the Chinese box office go? How low will Beijing let the box office go?

FSS of ¥180.7 million RMB ($28.6 million USD) across all movies at the Chinese box office. Changin II on top with ¥47.3 million RMB ($7.5 million USD), also known as "a whole lot less than The Batman made in the States." Too Cool to Kill placed second, Nice View placed third. Turns out tracking the Chinese box office is really rather dull when there are no new movies in theaters.

In terms of hope for new releases, two foreign movies secured release dates today. Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore breaks the long streak of China-delayed Hollywood movies with an April 8 release (in line with the UK, Japan, and other territories and before the US/Canada) and Hotel Transylvania 4: Transformania at the very least providing content that can be shown on a Chinese screen on April 3. Still nothing of significance for the coming weekend.

• Like 3