A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

https://www.maoyan.com/films/243

I think avatars Maoyan score increased again (to 9.4) , i'm pretty sure it was 9.3 just a few weeks ago

4 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

Uncharted:

M1 : ¥21.6K

M2 : ¥5.8M

M3 : ¥2.8M

Uncharted D1 currently stands at ¥2.12M, probably ~¥10M+ OD

The Batman Pre-sales

Previews : ¥308.5K

Actual Opening :

D1 : ¥1.127M

D2 : ¥0.431M

D3 : ¥0.318M

D4 : ¥0.025M

Total Pre-sales are at ¥2.27M........

We Made A Beautiful Bouquet has crossed ¥80M. Originally, it was predicted to end at ¥30M, due to poor opening. Thanks to WOM, it has been saved, as global total exceeded $50M, &as usual Mainland China was the biggest Overseas Market, 2nd Market Overall after Domestic!

Ratings :

Douban - 8.6 (~342.2K)

Maoyan - 9.0 (~32.7K)

Want To See : 38,917 

Admissions : 2,307,457

25 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Uncharted D1 currently stands at ¥2.12M, probably ~¥10M+ OD

The Batman Pre-sales

Previews : ¥308.5K

Actual Opening :

D1 : ¥1.127M

D2 : ¥0.431M

D3 : ¥0.318M

D4 : ¥0.025M

Total Pre-sales are at ¥2.27M........

How this compares with Uncharted at the same point?

32 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Weaker. Probably a case of another Dune-NTTD story

Sorry, but could you explain me? I am not accostumed with chinese BO... I know that Dune did 40M and NTTD did 65M, but what is the correlation?

Edited by Flamengo81

6 minutes ago, Flamengo81 said:

Sorry, but could you explain me? I am not accostumed with chinese BO... I know that Dune did 40M and NTTD did 65M, but what is the correlation?

Dune Pre-sales was quite stronger than No Time To Die, but 007 wins the race because of WOM/Anticipation.

20220314-062849.png

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Dune Pre-sales was quite stronger than No Time To Die, but 007 wins the race because of WOM/Anticipation.

20220314-062849.png

Ow Thanks! So pre-sales are not exactly that important in China? It seems to be a WOM heavy market...

8 hours ago, porginchina said:

The next week/week and a half will be key for determining whether China manages to contain this wave or whether the country gets thoroughly overwhelmed. The political cost of omicron getting out and tearing through the Chinese population would be unfathomable and the loss of life would be staggering… China is densely populated and has a massive elderly population and a ton of smokers… basically, the perfect recipe for disaster with a respiratory illness. So far, they're heading back to the same well of tricks (Shanghai's in an unofficial partial lockdown; Changchun and Jilin in northern China are in full lockdown; megacity Shenzhen entered a week of full lockdown today; and that's just listing some of the more high-profile locations). With China's enthusiasm for mass testing and contact tracing and shutting things down to stop spread, think there's still at least some cause for hope. Really hoping that this gets contained quickly and with a minimum of fuss… looking forward to being able to return to a movie theater when this wave is over.

And, no, Covid-zero isn't sustainable forever; official rhetoric is slowly turning in a direction where the country might move away from the policy in the quasi-foreseeable future. Given China's unique vulnerabilities to Covid-19 (and the lack of immunity in the population), it'll take time. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

Anyhow, speaking of box office… looks like the weekend box office is in the low 120 million RMB range (~$19 million USD); in other words, not good. March 2022 box office to date is just over 500 million RMB (under $80 million) across almost two weeks.

Well, at least we can use covid to save face for an underperforming box office run because it's an undeniable and acceptable reason, if Aquaman TLK fails we can simply blame covid too, (and also Amber Heard to some extent lmao)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Flamengo81 said:

Ow Thanks! So pre-sales are not exactly that important in China? It seems to be a WOM heavy market...

They are important but at the level of Uncharted and The Batman, it does not matter much.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jak Ryan Drake Campbell said:

Any idea of the Fantastic Beasts 3 score for its April 8 release in series? Not too much competition, is it? A lot of Chinese people are waiting for the film from what I read.

Score?

Not sure how many people are waiting on it. The 1st one made $85M in China while the 2nd made $57M. I'd put the target at $40M for part 3. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KnucklesXXR said:

But?

Je ne sais pas combien de personnes l'attendent. Le 1er a fait 85M$ en Chine tandis que le 2ème a fait 57M$ . Je mettrais l'objectif à 40 millions de dollars pour la partie 3. 

It's not too bad, right? I don't know the impact of the wizarding world in China. I just thought I understood that word of mouth is very important there, maybe a good surprise to come, the film looks much simpler and more magical.

8 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

We Made A Beautiful Bouquet has crossed ¥80M. Originally, it was predicted to end at ¥30M, due to poor opening. Thanks to WOM, it has been saved, as global total exceeded $50M, &as usual Mainland China was the biggest Overseas Market, 2nd Market Overall after Domestic!

Ratings :

Douban - 8.6 (~342.2K)

Maoyan - 9.0 (~32.7K)

Want To See : 38,917 

Admissions : 2,307,457

3rd biggest non-animated Japanese movie, behind Shoplifters and Gintama

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Olive said:

3rd biggest non-animated Japanese movie, behind Shoplifters and Gintama

Shoplifters: ¥96.75M

Maoyan Score : 8.1 (63,676)

Want To See : 107,339