A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

Just now, Issac Newton said:

I mean the actor (Robert) is not even on GOG &Thor, which make comparison meaningless. That is what I meant.

But they (all the characters) are in multiple films together. That’s what makes it a franchise. You’re just putting together types of the same film that don’t share any characters or storylines. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

53 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

A little bit breakdown:

TBALC : ¥5776M

Wolf Warrior 2 : ¥5694M

TBALC II : ¥3900M*

Operation Red Sea : ¥3652M

Eight Hundred : ¥3111M

Having seen all of these movies (most of them in a Chinese theater with an audience), they just don't go together in the slightest bit…

长津湖 (The Battle at Lake Changjin)/长津湖之水门桥 (The Battle at Lake Changjin II) are historical epics with some actual basis in fact (in ways that are totally detrimental to the filmmaking, but there's an attempt to respect the historical record)

八佰 (The Eight Hundred) is also a historical epic rooted in fact, but its approach is entirely different from Lake Changjin (it's competently produced, for one) and it's also based in an entirely different war… the Korean War and the Sino-Japanese War are two very, very different things from an audience perspective

战狼2 (Wolf Warrior II) is a contemporary movie that is set in an unidentified African country; it's not even a war movie, it's just an action thriller. 红海行动 (Operation Red Sea) is similar to Wolf Warrior II, only somewhat more grounded and significantly more violent. Again, not based in any historic fact or any contemporary conflict

((Unrelated, but as far as Spring Festival 2022 releases centered on the Korean War, it's not even funny how much of a better movie Snipers is than The Battle at Lake Changjin II in just about every respect imaginable, other than production budget))

Edited by porginchina
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, PenguinXXR said:

Thats an actor, not a character….

To be fair, Wu Jing basically plays Wu Jing in The Battle at Lake Changjin, and especially in the newly released sequel (

Spoiler

his death scene at the end of the movie is so gloriously over-the-top and implausible, cinema!

)

27 minutes ago, PenguinXXR said:

But they (all the characters) are in multiple films together. That’s what makes it a franchise. You’re just putting together types of the same film that don’t share any characters or storylines. 

I am sorry, I got confused. (You chase me if you want :^))

Angry Kimetsu No Yaiba GIF by iQiyi

• Haha 1

Having seen a few links from the not-entirely-objective Global Times floating around this forum, figured I'd share a story on this year's Spring Festival box office from Sixth Tone, an English-language, China-based news website (they are state-affiliated but have a certain degree of editorial independence, to the extent that editorial independence is a thing in China, and have been internationally recognized for some of their reporting): https://www.sixthtone.com/news/1009613/chinas-holiday-box-office-sees-pricier-tickets

Noteworthy quote: "audiences seem to be a bit aesthetically tired of patriotic films" (a Chinese analyst).

[My cheerfully amateur take— based on current projections sending the movie towards 3.9 billion RMB, The Battle at Lake Changjin II will fall 32ish% from The Battle at Lake Changjin, which is an entirely reasonable downturn based on comparisons to how sequels to mega-hits have performed in the US/Canada in recent years, i.e., Avengers: Age of Ultron, Star Wars: The Last Jedi, and Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. However, the decline from the first Changjin (despite the advantages of higher ticket prices, a more humane running time, and a more traditionally cinema-friendly holiday release date) definitely indicates that there's a very real ceiling for patriotic Chinese movies. This is also borne out by my conversations with my Chinese friends, very few of whom have the slightest interest in seeing the big patriotic movies, none of whom can understand why I voluntarily watch patriotic Chinese movies as a foreigner (this includes chats with several people who have membership in the CCP)].

• Like 4

Today's notable box office milestones for Spring Festival releases—

—奇迹·笨小孩 (Nice View) has crossed the ¥1 billion mark as it progresses towards a likely final above ¥1.2 billion

—这个杀手不太冷静 (Too Cool to Kill) is almost at the ¥2 billion mark and will cross that milestone this afternoon China time as it progresses towards a final around ¥2.4 billion [edited to note that Too Cool to Kill has officially crossed ¥2 billion]

—长津湖之水门桥 (The Battle at Lake Changjin II) has now grossed just over ¥3.3 billion, placing it 11th all-time in the Chinese domestic box office rankings, just behind 糖人家探案2 (Detective Chinatown 2) at ¥3.397 billion and 美人鱼 (The Mermaid) at ¥3.391 billion. The movie should have enough energy to break into the top ten tomorrow. Current projections have it aiming at a final just below ¥3.8 billion; for a movie with a supposed 9.6 Maoyan score, it's proving awfully front-loaded.

Edited by porginchina
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Notthereverseflash24 said:

Looks like Batman is releasing in China.

Yes, it's official— 新蝙蝠侠 has been approved by the film bureau and secured a Chinese theatrical license. Still waiting on a release date, but it's past censorship. Should see more approval and scheduling announcements as soon as this week as Spring Festival winds down (Lantern Festival, the traditional end of the holiday, is tomorrow). Moonfall and (slight possibility) No Way Home could be next.

Foreign movies with secured Chinese releases (no release date)— Uncharted, The Batman

Foreign movies with confirmed release dates— Death on the Nile (Feb. 19), A Rainy Day in New York (Feb. 25)

flash back to 2012

The Dark Knight vs. Spider-Man! Superheroes to Simultaneously Duke It Out at Box Office in China

https://www.eonline.com/news/331534/the-dark-knight-vs-spider-man-superheroes-to-simultaneously-duke-it-out-at-box-office-in-china

its time for a rematch in 2022, spiderman no way home vs the batman same day release

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1