A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

now what would be the approx final SA gross acc to u!?

Hard to say. too many variables with JW, locals opening, holiday, summer coming and screen count. Holding near flat to OD means it would be a runner and go to $150m+ in other markets. But this is china. Should be in the mid 80s by sunday. $110m-130m

so is it enuf to make $30 for this week(mon to sun)???

More than enough. F7 had a $28m weekend with 16%.

looking for $32-36m for the week

Hard to say. too many variables with JW, locals opening, holiday, summer coming and screen count. Holding near flat to OD means it would be a runner and go to $150m+ in other markets. But this is china. Should be in the mid 80s by sunday. $110m-130m

More than enough. F7 had a $28m weekend with 16%.

looking for $32-36m for the week

if this happens then its more than double of the pre release projected gross! Terrific! Hope JW will have a great week too! Edited by Jaybee

SA 2% ahead of yesterday at 14:00

Here are a few scenarios for JW. I might be able to tell which track its on by Thursday or friday afternoon. My guess for now is between 4 and 5. Really no Idea until we know how good the movie is and Chinese WOM which can reveal itself in just 2 days as it did with both AOU having immediate sharp declines(1.5 OW mult) and SA holding dead on flat(2.0+ OW mult?).

Doomed   OD OD x M OW(5d) OW x M Total $Total    
Worst Case 0 90 5.00 450 1.60 720 116    

1 90 5.50 495 1.75 866 140    
Mixed WOM 2 110 5.25 577.5 1.70 982 158    
  3 130 5.00 650 1.65 1073 173    

4 90 6.20 558 2.00 1116 180    
Good WOM 5 110 6.00 660 1.95 1287 208    
  6 130 5.80 754 1.90 1433 231    

7 90 7.00 630 2.25 1418 229    
Great WOM 8 110 6.80 748 2.20 1646 265    
  9 130 6.50 810 2.15 1742 281    
Crazy                  
Best Case 10 150 7.00 812 2.50 2030 327    

• Like 2

If it can gross 5m today then SA will get more percentage of screens. JW will be doing more than good if it can fall into 5+ category in ur analysis. if at all the opening is not great WOM can do wonders like SA

Edited by Jaybee

If it can gross 5m today then SA will get more percentage of screens. JW will be doing more than good if it can fall into 5+ category in ur analysis. if at all the opening is not great WOM can do wonders like SA

looking like 5m again. With losing approx half its screens it should still do at least 3m tomorrow. then do 3mTh. 4.2F, 7.8S, 6Su for a 34m week.

If it can do closer to 4m tomorrow then it could do closer to 40m which would be a sick hold.

looking like 5m again. With losing approx half its screens it should still do at least 3m tomorrow. then do 3mTh. 4.2F, 7.8S, 6Su for a 34m week.

If it can do closer to 4m tomorrow then it could do closer to 40m which would be a sick hold.

losing half of its screens, is it possible to pull more than 3m? If JW wom is positive then will it go further down?? Edited by Jaybee

JW gewara will be tough to reach 100k, a big surprise.

But presales on other platforms are much better, still think it will open higher than 100M yuan

Are there any other parties outside gewara that lead Ticket ? 

Wow! You must really like this movie!

I do like Jurassic Park series, but I have yet to see JW, I don't know whether it good or bad.

But I do like tracking box office, not only for this movie.

• Like 2

losing half of its screens, is it possible to pull more than 3m? If JW wom is positive then will it go further down??

FF7 was able to pull in 31m/$5m with 16% screens on a Thursday day before a holiday and 67m/$10.8m on Friday(holiday) while up against 2 local openers totaling $40-50m for the weekend. $3m shouldn't be a problem.

3m would be just a 40% drop.  AOU lost 45% from Monday 15.8m to Thursday 8.4m when 2 movies opened  on tues and 1 on Thursday. The 3 combine weren't as strong  as JW or fully direct competition but AOU wasn't as strong as SA either. The evenings are tremendous so I would say T-REX isn't  100% direct competition either with the older audience.

SA continues to stay 2-3% ahead of yesterday which came in at a revised 34.5m/$5.56m. Wants to breach 35m/$5.7m. That'll be the biggest weekday of the run I believe. Its like the Chinese condensed version of MBFGW :D  or maybe closer to Gravity. Where the WOM keep the big fat numbers pumped up instead of BO gravity pulling them down :ph34r:

Edited by M F Lawrence

FF7 was able to pull in 31m/$5m with 16% screens on a Thursday day before a holiday and 67m/$10.8m on Friday(holiday) while up against 2 local openers totaling $40-50m for the weekend. $3m shouldn't be a problem.

3m would be just a 40% drop. AOU lost 45% from Monday 15.8m to Thursday 8.4m when 2 movies opened on tues and 1 on Thursday. The 3 combine weren't as strong as JW or fully direct competition but AOU wasn't as strong as SA either. The evenings are tremendous so I would say T-REX isn't 100% direct competition either with the older audience. .

Ty.fingers crossed for today's estimates.

With bad reactions rolling in, it looks JW is not beating AOU in China after all. Maybe will do just 1B-ish.

Next week SPL2, a potential #100m grosser, will do a lot of damage to dinos. Online buzz for the sequel is crazily high. The first SPL was pretty incisive. (If you like HK gangster action thrillers, then you might want to give it a check.) But I am still not convinced by the quality of this one with the absence of Donnie Yen.

$100m is locked for SA.

Edited by firedeep
  • Like 1