A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

So it means SA can do a business of $4.5m atleast today(monday)??? Thats really huge. Can SA get more percentage of screens on wednesday like around 12-15% of screens!?? Is that practically possible?

Easily. Maybe close to 20%. Predicting around 200m $32m week for SA.

Edited by firedeep
  • Like 1

Most predictions for JW 5days are settling in the 600~700m range. OD may not crack 100m but should have great weekend increases.

if its around 20% then numbers will be more than expected. Who knows SA can fetch $500m worldwide as the WOM is positive allover the globe!

Yeah I agree that it looks SA now has a shot at $100m, after all. Next weekend's Dragon Boat holiday will also give it a sizable bump. thinking JW and SA will co-exist, and dominating the box office for this and next week, along with next week's SPL2 starring Wu Jing (Wolf Warriors).

Starting this one, apparently we are off into at least six straight epic weeks at the box office:

Week 24 (6.8~6.14): SA 2nd week + JW opening

Week 25: JW 2nd week + Dragon Boat Festival + SPL2

Week 26: HA opening + JW 3nd week +  SPL2 

Week 27: HA 2nd week + A Monk in a Floating World +  I am Somebody

Week 28: Tiny Times 4 + Young Forever

Summer box office in China started last week, from June 1 to Aug 31.

$100m for SA!? even after the release of JW and other movies?? I thought 80+m is fine. But 100m would be terrific given that SA pulls it off.

Unreal. Its still a few % ahead of last Thursday at 7pm. 4th weekday and it may be larger than OD.

The amazing thing is that weeknights are so much stronger than AOU, like FF7, so its drawing the older crowd but it still did the Fri 40% Sat 80% pop like AOU and Spidey. Sundays hold(strong evening helped) proved the older crowd further. The WOM for both older and younger has got to be on fire for today to be on par with OD.  A lot of demand still on the table. Its going to be an interesting weekend. If JW slips at all in WOM, SA could pick up more showtimes and really damage its numbers further.

If JW opens at 100mY. Then following SA with good WOM could be

100m OD

90m Thu

125m Fri

225m Sat

165m Sun

705m Tot $114m

If WOM is sub par then it opens below $100m for the 5 day and fades fast with SA on its heels and new openers coming soon. No room for error.

Hey johnny, you ever see a hold like this a week later on this size of a number, 35m? This is like Japan.

Edited by M F Lawrence

Unreal. Its still a few % ahead of last Thursday at 7pm. 4th weekday and it may be larger than OD.

The amazing thing is that weeknights are so much stronger than AOU, like FF7, so its drawing the older crowd but it still did the Fri 40% Sat 80% pop like AOU and Spidey. Sundays hold(strong evening helped) proved the older crowd further. The WOM for both older and younger has got to be on fire for today to be on par with OD. A lot of demand still on the table. Its going to be an interesting weekend. If JW slips at all in WOM, SA could pick up more showtimes and really damage its numbers further.

If JW opens at 100mY. Then following SA with good WOM could be

100m OD

90m Thu

125m Fri

225m Sat

165m Sun

705m Tot $114m

If WOM is sub par then it opens below $100m for the 5 day and fades fast with SA on its heels and new openers coming soon. No room for error.

Hey johnny, you ever see a hold like this a week later on this size of a number, 35m? This is like Japan.

omg as u said its going to be very unreal if this happens. Today $5+ is fantabulous! It shows that the WOM is as good as FF7 and other blockbusters! I am very eagerly waiting for today's estimates.