A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

Presales are misleading, since we don't know the percentage of discount tickets.

Qingming 2015((Sat -Mon):

Friday -108M

Saturday - 179M

Sunday - 198M

Monday - 145M

I think 2016 will increase at least 30% from 2015.

Edited by Olive

4 hours ago, Olive said:

Presales are misleading, since we don't know the percentage of discount tickets.

Qingming 2015((Sat -Mon):

Friday -108M

Saturday - 179M

Sunday - 198M

Monday - 145M

I think 2016 will increase at least 30% from 2015.

It will get over 100m on Friday with the holdovers help.  quinming is the 5th?  so sunday/ Monday was affected last year. its on a tues this year? or do they move to Monday to make it a 3 day weekend.

presales weren't misleading for CNY and for most other movies, they ramp up and have a multi. if anything, they fall short, not surprise to the high side. the new releases look low. I don't see how those 3 do 100m on friday

Edited by No Prisoners

6 hours ago, seduh said:

great hold by Zootopia. It should do 9 + 13 + 30 + 32 to finish with 1.411 billon yen an amazing number for a hollywood movie and even more impresive for an animated movie. 

Friday increase seems too good to happen.

9+11+26+25

Friday showtimes:

Bodyguard 27.9%

Hotpot 24.9%

Sleep Bro 23.3%

BVS 10.6%

Zoo 5.5%

118K showtimes have been scheduled, things won't change much, new releases should drop a bit, holdover should increase a bit.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, firedeep said:

I just saw a trailer of Ninja Turtles 2. It's as if a Michael Bay film... this will do big, possibly 1B+ with a summer release.

With the black out period... it will come out like in August?

TMNT 2014 was good but came out on a stupid date... and after prolonged delayed... more than 2months from its worldwide release, hope this one earns.

There is Stephen Amell(arrow) in this one, i see that there is a Tieba for him on baidu so he must have some fans in China.

52 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

With the black out period... it will come out like in August?

TMNT 2014 was good but came out on a stupid date... and after prolonged delayed... more than 2months from its worldwide release, hope this one earns.

There is Stephen Amell(arrow) in this one, i see that there is a Tieba for him on baidu so he must have some fans in China.

Turtles 2 could get a slot in late June as the last quote release before the summer blackout, if Paramount does a good PR job ...

The blackout period starts from July 1 and lasts until Aug 15.

TMNT always has a good following in China. And I see a strong Bayformers vibe from the trailer of TMNT2; it also looks more expensive than the first one. It probably will be Par's biggest movie this year here, beating Star Trek Beyond.

IMO, Hollywood wouldn't see its down trend today in China, if they stick to the funny, pure-entertaining (you may as well describe it as 'noisey') blockbusters like TF, Ant-Man, Fast Furious 7, ZOO and TMNT2, instead of those dark, self-serious BVS, SW7, Spectre...

Edited by firedeep

17 minutes ago, firedeep said:

Revised, March box office is only about 3.7B (BVS flopping prevented 4B), deducting the fudge of IPM3. That's only a 30% YOY increase.

So what is Ip Man 3's actual final box office?  Are websites like Maoyan going to deduct that part of the box office for Ip Man 3?

Just to show how dead BVS is in China:

This Thursday, today,  likely will be the lowest grossing day of 2016 year-to-date, nearly matching Lunar New Year's Eve (Feb 7, 38m). In the past, LNYE has always been the lowest day of the year at the box office with theaters closing for half day, no exception. BVS just made a history.

• Like 2