A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

I found this blog post by a former Disney entertainment industry professional who lives in China:

So, what makes China go “Wilde” for ZOOTOPIA? Western studios hoping to appeal to Chinese audiences with the inclusion of superficial “Chinese elements” should note that ZOOTOPIA contains none whatsoever. Based on my observation in Chinese theaters, scrolling through WeChat posts, and conversations with Chinese colleagues, the appeal of ZOOTOPIA in China (and specifically, to China’s young adult females) appears to be: that it is funny but “real” (anyone who has sat all day in a Chinese bank or bureau gets the sloths); Judy is a relatable heroine (particularly with her parents’ pseudo-supportive encouragement to stifle her dreams); and Nick Wilde is a rakishly charming anti-hero (with a wounded heart in need of redemption, no less).

https://kevingeigerblog.wordpress.com/2016/03/22/china-goes-wilde-for-zootopia/

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Polaroids said:

Guo Jingming's L.O.R.D. sets release on Sept. 30th. It's China's first motion capture film.

Trailer:

Fan Bingbing will battle herself on Sep. 30. I believe her's drama " I'm not Madam Bovary " will release the same day as L.O.R.D. Now we have 3 big movies release on Sep. 30, two Fan Bingbing's movies & one from Jackie Chan (Huang Zitao, Darren Wang & handsome Wang Kai). L.O.R.D will benefit from being the first Chinese motions capture film & its (powerful) young casts (Fan Bingbing, Yang Mi, Wu Yifan, Chan Weiting, Arif, TFBoys Wang Yuan,...). As we know, GJM movie's quality is so poor (TT1-4), I'm not confident with this one quality either. But within 7 days holiday, its BO won't be that bad, as long as its quality not worse than Tiny Times series. 

14 hours ago, Quigley said:

It's funny how we're using the word "only" to describe a 37% increase. As for April, what films will be released?

Notable April releases:

4/1 Chongqing Hot Po 火锅英雄
4/1 My Beloved Bodyguard 我的特工爷爷
4/1 Who Sleeps My Bro 睡在我上铺的兄弟
4/1 The Boy 灵偶契约
4/8 London Has Fallen 伦敦陷落
4/15 The Jungle Book 奇幻森林 
4/22 The Huntsman Winter's War  猎神:冬日之战
4/22 Yesterday Once More 谁的青春不迷茫
4/28 Phantom Of The Theater 魔宫魅影
4/29 Finding Mr Right 2 北京遇上西雅图2
4/29 Miss Partner 梦想合伙人
4/29 Sweet Sixteen 夏有乔木 雅望天堂
4/29 Xuan Zang 大唐玄奘

Things are not looking very good, considering last Apr (4.1B) had that 2B Furious 7.

We badly need Jungle Book to be breakout (like a 1B movie, a live action Zootopia...), and both Bodyguard and Hotpot to overperform, plus Finding Mr Right 2 to deliver a satisfying opening ... Enlight's annual youth output Yesterday Once more also needs to perform.

My Bro, Miss Partner, Xuan Zang are destinied to flop. Apart from that, we can only afford Winter's War to flop to avoid a flat or declining April ... :ph34r:

Edited by firedeep

1 hour ago, Lihongkim said:

Fan Bingbing will battle herself on Sep. 30. I believe her's drama " I'm not Madam Bovary " will release the same day as L.O.R.D. Now we have 3 big movies release on Sep. 30, two Fan Bingbing's movies & one from Jackie Chan (Huang Zitao, Darren Wang & handsome Wang Kai). L.O.R.D will benefit from being the first Chinese motions capture film & its (powerful) young casts (Fan Bingbing, Yang Mi, Wu Yifan, Chan Weiting, Arif, TFBoys Wang Yuan,...). As we know, GJM movie's quality is so poor (TT1-4), I'm not confident with this one quality either. But within 7 days holiday, its BO won't be that bad, as long as its quality not worse than Tiny Times series. 

" I'm not Madam Bovary " likely will go Sep 15, the Middle Autumn Mooncake Festivel slot.

Now we have LORD, Memory War (easily one of the biggest homegrown fares of 2016 ), North East Past (I dont think this one will breakout) on Sep 30 for October holiday.

Jackie Chan-Ding Sheng's Railroad Tigers is said to move to December. The film wont be ready for Sep 30 due to delayed post-production.

Edited by firedeep

1 hour ago, firedeep said:

" I'm not Madam Bovary " likely will go Sep 15, the Middle Autumn Mooncake Festivel slot.

Now we have LORD, Memory War (easily one of the biggest homegrown fares of 2016 ), North East Past (I dont think this one will breakout) on Sep 30 for October holiday.

Jackie Chan-Ding Sheng's Railroad Tigers is said to move to December. The film wont be ready for Sep 30 due to delayed post-production.

Memory War, who is the director? Lead actors? I missed this project.

The fact of unlimited changing release date make me feel dizzy )-: I think Oct holiday is better for Railroad Tiger. The thing is there are already 2 action-comedy (Andy Lau & Wang Baoqiang) movies plan to release on Dec. 23. The is possible more action-comedy which Shu Qi is the lead role on that OD too. I think no big action- comedy movie release on Sep. 30. Damn! it probably missed it. Did The Great Wall change its release date too? I know its NA release moved to Feb next year. 

1 hour ago, Lihongkim said:

Memory War, who is the director? Lead actors? I missed this project.

The fact of unlimited changing release date make me feel dizzy )-: I think Oct holiday is better for Railroad Tiger. The thing is there are already 2 action-comedy (Andy Lau & Wang Baoqiang) movies plan to release on Dec. 23. The is possible more action-comedy which Shu Qi is the lead role on that OD too. I think no big action- comedy movie release on Sep. 30. Damn! it probably missed it. Did The Great Wall change its release date too? I know its NA release moved to Feb next year. 

http://news.mtime.com/2016/01/28/1551978.html

3 hours ago, firedeep said:

Notable April releases:

4/1 Chongqing Hot Po 火锅英雄
4/1 My Beloved Bodyguard 我的特工爷爷
4/1 Who Sleeps My Bro 睡在我上铺的兄弟
4/1 The Boy 灵偶契约
4/8 London Has Fallen 伦敦陷落
4/15 The Jungle Book 奇幻森林 
4/22 The Huntsman Winter's War  猎神:冬日之战
4/22 Yesterday Once More 谁的青春不迷茫
4/28 Phantom Of The Theater 魔宫魅影
4/29 Finding Mr Right 2 北京遇上西雅图2
4/29 Miss Partner 梦想合伙人
4/29 Sweet Sixteen 夏有乔木 雅望天堂
4/29 Xuan Zang 大唐玄奘

Things are not looking very good, considering last Apr (4.1B) had that 2B Furious 7.

We badly need Jungle Book to be breakout (like a 1B movie, a live action Zootopia...), and both Bodyguard and Hotpot to overperform, plus Finding Mr Right 2 to deliver a satisfying opening ... Enlight's annual youth output Yesterday Once more also needs to perform.

My Bro, Miss Partner, Xuan Zang are destinied to flop. Apart from that, we can only afford Winter's War to flop to avoid a flat or declining April ... :ph34r:

Cap 3?

According to BOM The Good Dinosaur has made 321 M WW. I noticed from other topics, that Disney decided to give Zootopia the China release date instead of TGD. Can anyone make a sophisticed guess that how much TGD could have made in China? I have read that Pixar has fairly bad track reconrd in China, and TGD's RT are not very good (animationwise), so maybe 50 million USD?

1 hour ago, fmpro said:

Cap 3?

Likely May 6. But it might also get delayed for a few days as rumors are that the the movie is too good and competitive to receive a day-and-date release. 

11 minutes ago, ttr said:

According to BOM The Good Dinosaur has made 321 M WW. I noticed from other topics, that Disney decided to give Zootopia the China release date instead of TGD. Can anyone make a sophisticed guess that how much TGD could have made in China? I have read that Pixar has fairly bad track reconrd in China, and TGD's RT are not very good (animationwise), so maybe 50 million USD?

too high ... more like sub $15m, Inside Out level.

Edited by firedeep

3 minutes ago, firedeep said:

Likely May 6. But it might also get delayed for a few days as rumors are that the the movie is too good and competitive to receive a day-and-date release. 

Arghhhhhhhhh. I really hope not..

When is the best release date around start May?

16 minutes ago, ttr said:

Hard to say. 300-400 mill yuan at the most IMO

7 hours ago, firedeep said:

Why are they afraid? It's not like it's going to challenge Mermaid for BO supremacy. At best, it could challenge 300M well below TF4, F7, MH or Mermaid.

3 minutes ago, druv10 said:

Why are they afraid? It's not like it's going to challenge Mermaid for BO supremacy. At best, it could challenge 300M well below TF4, F7, MH or Mermaid.

Not because they are afraid CA3 breaking records, but CA3 will shorten the local movies' legs, they will make much less.