A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

2 hours ago, m3racer123 said:

How is a billion RMB not good?

The production budget was unreal for TGW, and its probably going to pull a Warcraft in terms of where it makes its money. They paid Matt Damon a huge sum to be in the movie to be its cornerstone, and reviews are really mediocre for it.. Budget is somewhere between $150 - $200m. 

That is why a billion RMB is not close to what you'd want out of the film. I hope it does OK here in the states (I'll probably go see it), but I'd imagine it may only make $50 million here, or so.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Mrstickball said:

The production budget was unreal for TGW, and its probably going to pull a Warcraft in terms of where it makes its money. They paid Matt Damon a huge sum to be in the movie to be its cornerstone, and reviews are really mediocre for it.. Budget is somewhere between $150 - $200m. 

That is why a billion RMB is not close to what you'd want out of the film. I hope it does OK here in the states (I'll probably go see it), but I'd imagine it may only make $50 million here, or so.

My friend told me it needs at least $360M - $370M WW to recover the initial cost.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nVIDIADriver said:

My friend told me it needs at least $360M - $370M WW to recover the initial cost.  

Using typical BO math, that would be correct. The one small thing that TGW has for it on re-couping is that Legendary/Wanda do own a TON of theaters in China, so the box office % may be a little bit better for them.. By how much, who knows. Its only earned about $30m OS excluding China, so it has to break out somewhere, and fast.. I don't see a South Korean release for it, and one would think they would be a favorable market to release in.

• Like 1

I love how honest Chinese reviewers are about TFA. All the complaints are true. TFA has weak characters with a story that absolutely collapses if you have no love for the originals. To China, Han Solo's death was basically "Huh. Sucks for that guy".

Yeah, why can't there be a Chinese actor in the main saga?

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

I love how honest Chinese reviewers are about TFA. All the complaints are true. TFA has weak characters with a story that absolutely collapses if you have no love for the originals.

I'm sure they will add them as time goes on and the franchise expands beyond its Anglo-American roots. I wish Donnie Yen had been in the mainline series instead of just RO, but in time, I am sure they will add more Asian and Chinese actors. One issue is that unlike, say, the Marvel franchises, you're not going to see more than 1 movie a year be produced involving Star Wars, so the opportunities may be a little more limited as opposed to other series that have no cannon to follow, and may be able to have more movies.

• Like 2

I hear that in China the prequel trilogy is actually more popular than the OT which is pretty funny to be honest. China is more familiar with the PT characters and settings like The Clone Wars and the Jedi Council. which TFA lacked.

9 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

I love how honest Chinese reviewers are about TFA. All the complaints are true. TFA has weak characters with a story that absolutely collapses if you have no love for the originals. To China, Han Solo's death was basically "Huh. Sucks for that guy".

There are still many "honest" audiences like TFA. And at least everybody loves BB-8.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

I hear that in China the prequel trilogy is actually more popular than the OT which is pretty funny to be honest. China is more familiar with the PT characters and settings like The Clone Wars and the Jedi Council. which TFA lacked.

If they liked the PT more... I imagine that a stand-alone Obi-Wan film should do pretty well there, eh?

1 minute ago, Mojoguy said:

Most Chineses audiences have never seen OT before and the reasons why general audiences like PT are very simple.

1, more battlefield scenes

2, tragic and epic atmosphere

3, young audiences especially ladies think Hayden Christensen is handsome (even though his performance is weak)

• Like 2

Disney is fully aware of the fact that TFA succeed because of nostalgia and great marketing, not all US fans were happy with what Disney had done (unoriginal plot, the lack of creativity and imagination,..etc...), but the studio didn't have many choices at the time, they had to win the old fans back after the damage that PT had done. The last time I heard about this problem, Disney said that...

"These movies will all be so different. [Episode VIII director] Rian Johnson is a friend of mine - he's going to make some weird thing. If you've seen Rian's work, you know it's not going be like anything that's ever been in Star Wars. You couldn't have three more different people than J.J. (Abrams), Rian and [Episode IX director] Colin (Trevorrow). Those movies will have the Star Wars saga as their basis, but everything else will be different. 
(Source)

We don't know how many risks they will take, but at least let's give Disney a chance to prove themselves. Obviously, no one has the right to proclaim that Disney won't cater the international audience such as China, Asia, Latin-Am,.... except Disney themselves. It will depend on how much greed and ambition Disney has, fanboys have nothing on it.

Edited by Leviathan
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mrstickball said:

If they liked the PT more... I imagine that a stand-alone Obi-Wan film should do pretty well there, eh?

I don't think so, the biggest barrier is not the story itself but the relationship of characters. if audiences have never seen OT before, they will be really tough to understand the motivations of each characters, for example, who is the lady at the last scene? Who is that mask man? Why did her father help the empire build that weapon? With some many questions, they will easily dislike the whole film. And unfortunately, we know that Obi-Wan isn't a new independent role.

• Like 1

john boyega is just not matching the beauty-appreciation for any Asian people(Chinese+ Korean at least)  especially ladies.

We like cute/cool and handsome guys, look at the new rising young actors in China or who are most popular now in Korea now.

EP8 will have a hard drop in China and SK I'm afraid.

• Like 4

Poor old Finn, spends his life hiding behind a stormtrooper mask, only to be ridiculed for his non-conventional movie star looks when he takes it off. I got your back Boyega! Flying the flag for the bang average looking guys! 

Edited by MonstersandRoy
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, nVIDIADriver said:

Most Chineses audiences have never seen OT before and the reasons why general audiences like PT are very simple.

1, more battlefield scenes

2, tragic and epic atmosphere

3, young audiences especially ladies think Hayden Christensen is handsome (even though his performance is weak)

Women tend to attract to charming or sexy brooding young men, that is a science fact. My Chinese female friend said that the (future) romantic relationship between Rey and Kylo was the most popular topic of SW on their social media sites such as Weibo, Lofter (the Chinese version of Facebook, Tumblr). Maybe Kylo and Rey can help SW a little :jeb!: Anakin and Padme version 2? :jeb!: or better version with an absolutely kick-ass Padme :jeb!:

Edited by Leviathan
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, MonstersandRoy said:

Poor old Finn, spends his life hiding behind a stormtrooper mask, only to be ridiculed for his non-conventional movie star looks when he takes it off. I got your back Boyega! Flying the flag for the bang average looking guys! 

Eastern Asians are most serious about appearance discrimination

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Leviathan said:

Women tend to attract to charming or sexy brooding young men, that is a science fact. My Chinese female friend said that the (future) romantic relationship between Rey and Kylo was the most popular topic of SW on their social media sites such as Weibo, Lofter (the Chinese version of Facebook, Tumblr). Maybe Kylo and Rey can help SW a little :jeb!: Anakin and Padme version 2? :jeb!: or better version with an absolutely kick-ass Padme :jeb!:

The beauty-appreciation here for foreign actors can be generally divided into three types, 

1, Cute, boyish, vulnerable and need to be protected, such as Ben Whishaw, Andrew Garfield.

2, Has unique individual temperament or has charming feature, such as Robert Downey Jr, Ralph Fienes. 

3, Cool and sexy young guys, such as Theo James, Nicolas Hoult.

So you can see why Hayden Christensen can attract many Chinese young audiences especially female even though his acting is extremely horrible.

And I can tell you that many Chinese male audiences including me think Daisy Ridley is a nice and pretty actress, but Kylo, I personally think Adam Driver is a decent actor since I have seen Silence last week but unfortunately, I strongly doubt that general audiences here will like his face, it cannot be Anakin and Padme version 2...

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, nVIDIADriver said:

The beauty-appreciation here for foreign actors can be generally divided into three types, 

1, Cute, boyish, vulnerable and need to be protected, such as Ben Whishaw, Andrew Garfield.

2, Has unique individual temperament or has charming feature, such as Robert Downey Jr, Ralph Fienes. 

3, Cool and sexy young guys, such as Theo James, Nicolas Hoult.

So you can see why Hayden Christensen can attract many Chinese young audiences especially female even though his acting is extremely horrible.

And I can tell you that many Chinese male audiences including me think Daisy Ridley is a nice and pretty actress, but Kylo, I personally think Adam Driver is a decent actor since I have seen Silence last week but unfortunately, I strongly doubt that general audiences here will like his face, it cannot be Anakin and Padme version 2...

So Poe (Oscar Isaac) is our only hope huh? That guy has everything that people want: good looking, charming, decent acting, having great chemistry with Daisy...

Basically he is Han Solo 2.0 :jeb!: I heard that Disney and the Lucasfilm studio had officially decided to expand his role too :jeb!: 

And... Honestly i think no one can blame the international audience for not liking Finn, all he did in TFA was... lie, run, sweat, get beaten up, being a clumsy sidekick to Rey. What an awful role. People on the reddit/r/movies and imdb even said that it felt like Disney placed him there just to prevent the annoying #OscarSoWhite.