A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

7 minutes ago, Leviathan said:

So Poe (Oscar Isaac) is our only hope huh? That guy has everything that people want: good looking, charming, decent acting, having great chemistry with Daisy...

Basically he is Han Solo 2.0 :jeb!: I heard that Disney and the Lucasfilm studio had officially decided to expand his role too :jeb!: 

And... Honestly i think no one can blame the international audience for not liking Finn, all he did in TFA was... lie, run, sweat, get beaten up, being a clumsy sidekick to Rey. What an awful role. People on the reddit/r/movies and imdb even said that it felt like Disney placed him there just to prevent the annoying #OscarSoWhite.

To be honest, I personally think Finn(not only the role but also the actor) is okay... well, Oscar is a good and charming actor, I like his performance in Inside Llewyn Davis, but maybe not handsome enough, anyway, I would be really happy if his role will be expanded.

And of course, the best character in TFA is BB-8,  many of my friend dislike the film but really love BB-8.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nVIDIADriver said:

The beauty-appreciation here for foreign actors can be generally divided into three types, 

1, Cute, boyish, vulnerable and need to be protected, such as Ben Whishaw, Andrew Garfield.

2, Has unique individual temperament or has charming feature, such as Robert Downey Jr, Ralph Fienes. 

3, Cool and sexy young guys, such as Theo James, Nicolas Hoult.

So you can see why Hayden Christensen can attract many Chinese young audiences especially female even though his acting is extremely horrible.

And I can tell you that many Chinese male audiences including me think Daisy Ridley is a nice and pretty actress, but Kylo, I personally think Adam Driver is a decent actor since I have seen Silence last week but unfortunately, I strongly doubt that general audiences here will like his face, it cannot be Anakin and Padme version 2...

Ok but what about actresses ? I have always thought that Angelina Jolie would've been far less popular Worldwide (especially in Asia and South America) if she was a blonde. 

4 hours ago, nVIDIADriver said:

To be honest, I personally think Finn(not only the role but also the actor) is okay... well, Oscar is a good and charming actor, I like his performance in Inside Llewyn Davis, but maybe not handsome enough, anyway, I would be really happy if his role will be expanded.

And of course, the best character in TFA is BB-8,  many of my friend dislike the film but really love BB-8.

Oscar Isaac not handsome enough? Wow, just wow! 

33 minutes ago, Giesi said:

Oscar Isaac not handsome enough? Wow, just wow! 

I think he is okay and I really like his role in TFA, but it seems that most audiences don't think so. But fortunately, I know he has some fans in China.

Edited by nVIDIADriver

51 minutes ago, TLK said:

Ok but what about actresses ? I have always thought that Angelina Jolie would've been far less popular Worldwide (especially in Asia and South America) if she was a blonde. 

I will never underestimated the charm of Angelina Jolie but I personally dislike her. And the beauty-appreciation for foreign actress is more complicated here and as my own taste is a little bit different from the preference of most Chinese audiences (my favorate actresses are Marlene Dietrich and Grace Kelly), I cannot give you a porper conclusion.

Are we gonna ignore the elephant in the conversation? East Asia is very much colorist and think that dark-skinned people are unattractive. It has nothing to do with John Boyega personally, it has everything to do with his race and skin color. Disney knows this which is why they made him tiny in the poster for TFA. In China, South Korea, most Asian countries.. the paler, the better.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Polaroids said:

Are we gonna ignore the elephant in the conversation? East Asia is very much colorist and think that dark-skinned people are unattractive. It has nothing to do with John Boyega personally, it has everything to do with his race and skin color. Disney knows this which is why they made him tiny in the poster for TFA. In China, South Korea, most Asian countries.. the paler, the better.

This is the case in many, many parts of the world. 

3 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

This is the case in many, many parts of the world. 

Yes but at least in Western countries they are making an effort to changing the beauty standard. In Asia, it's blatantly supported by the media with skin-whitening products being the norm. No one in their respective countries call out the colorism (some do but they're drowned by the majority).

An ad like this would never be approved nowadays in the west but got aired in Asia:

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Polaroids said:

No... Will Smith is quite popular in China.

Will Smith is handsome. 

Don't forget Dwayne Johnson. No1 hates Kevin Hart in China.

Edited by TigerPaw

11 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Will Smith is handsome. 

@Polaroids  -> You need to realize that in most parts of the word, the guilt in relation to things such as slavery etc that are so prominent in the US-UK and a few other countries, is simply not there. Not every country has the same crime history or the same sensibilities, the exact opposite in fact. 

Yes, I was thinking about the exact same thing. It's not so much about racism, but it's more about how good-looking an actor/actress really is. The example of Will Smith is a great one. He is popular all over the world, not because he is black or because some PC functionary willed it, but because he is good-looking and charismatic. Boyega is a good actor, but is not (imo at least, good-looking) Conversely, nobody anywhere on the planet looks up to Chris Pratt, Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone, Scar-Jo or J-Lo with admiration simply because they are white. No, people want to see these actors on the big screen because they are good actors, good looking and charismatic. Someone like Will Smith would be far more right for the role than Boyega. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Will Smith is handsome. 

He's "popular" (and I use this term very loosely) as a comedic actor. They don't like him because they think he's hot. Are you really trying to deny that China is colorist? Lol.

12 minutes ago, Polaroids said:

He's "popular" (and I use this term very loosely) as a comedic actor. They don't like him because they think he's hot. Are you really trying to deny that China is colorist? Lol.

He was pop because of DVD. Men in Black made ¥500m in 2012.

Edited by Gavin Feng

1 hour ago, Polaroids said:

Yes but at least in Western countries they are making an effort to changing the beauty standard. In Asia, it's blatantly supported by the media with skin-whitening products being the norm. No one in their respective countries call out the colorism (some do but they're drowned by the majority).

An ad like this would never be approved nowadays in the west but got aired in Asia:

God that is pretty bad to be fair. Man goes into the washing machine, comes out looking like a weedy boy who hasn't started puberty!

I liked Finn in TFA, but I am not basing my opinion on looks. Thought the concept of a stormtrooper not accepting his life was a good concept. I also think there is a good friendship connection between Rey (Daisy) and Finn (John), a friend friendship, not a romantic friendship. Not everyone can by an out and out badass in the film. He is learning about himself throughout the film, just like Rey is learning about herself.

Edited by MonstersandRoy
  • Like 1

Triple X is going to be released on Feb 10th in China. Hopefully it does better than R1. I appreciate the diversity in their casting and Donnie Yen deserves another huge hit.

34 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

@Polaroids  -> You need to realize that in most parts of the word, the guilt in relation to things such as slavery etc that are so prominent in the US-UK and a few other countries, is simply not there. Not every country has the same crime history or the same sensibilities, the exact opposite in fact. 

Yes, I was thinking about the exact same thing. It's not so much about racism, but it's more about how good-looking an actor/actress really is. The example of Will Smith is a great one. He is popular all over the world, not because he is black or because some PC functionary willed it, but because he is good-looking and charismatic. Boyega is a good actor, but is not (imo at least, good-looking) Conversely, nobody anywhere on the planet looks up to Chris Pratt, Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone, Scar-Jo or J-Lo with admiration simply because they are white. No, people want to see these actors on the big screen because they are good actors, good looking and charismatic. Someone like Will Smith would be far more right for the role than Boyega. 

That's why I said colorism pertaining to beauty standards. I am very much aware that China doesn't have the same racial history as the US and UK. But whiteness is still very much celebrated there and is found more desirable than darker skin because of their own beauty standards. If you place a dark-skinned person and a pale-skinned person with the same facial features next to each other, Asian people will choose the paler one as the more attractive one just based on skin color. Skin whitening ads and products are popular in Asia and most "beautiful" celebrities are on the paler side. This is nothing new or shocking so I don't understand the denial.

The thing about East Asia in particular though is that they might not think that black people fit their ideal beauty standards, but hip hop culture and basketball is popular so some of them worship black celebrities over there. Kobe is treated like a god.

I am not saying that John Boyega is handsome (I am not attracted to him) but to ignore that skin color plays a factor to China's aversion and rejection of him is just ignoring a basic fact about their beauty standards.

Edited by Polaroids
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, PPZVGOS said:

I remember a poster in previous pages said that Han Solo is one of the most favourite TFA characters in Weibo poll because Harrison Ford's charm makes the audience fall for him, despite the fact that he is a 70-year-old man.
When Benedict Cumberbatch was casted as Sherlock Holmes, most people moaned because he didn't have good-looking (Source), but his charm won people over.

As an actor, being good-looking and charming is definitely a plus plus factor. If you don't have charm, good-looking, your acting ability is so-so ,and the studio gives you an awful role to deal with, then.... may God bless you. I think that Disney was so unfair to Boyega. (Poe) Isaac had less screentimes than Finn but he shone like a superstar beside Rey.

Edited by Leviathan

TUESDAY ESTIMATES
Rogue One - ¥22.6M /259M 
Some Like It Hot - ¥15.9M/398M
Railroad Tigers - ¥6.9M/609M
The Great Wall - ¥4.4M/¥1113M 
Hacksaw Ridge - ¥1.9M/¥396M 
See You Tomorrow - ¥1.45M/470M
Nerve - ¥1M/9.35M

Moana - ¥0.2M/223M (back in top 10, wish it had more showtimes)

• Like 14

16 minutes ago, Olive said:

TUESDAY ESTIMATES
Rogue One - ¥22.6M /259M 
Some Like It Hot - ¥15.9M/398M
Railroad Tigers - ¥6.9M/609M
The Great Wall - ¥4.4M/¥1113M 
Hacksaw Ridge - ¥1.9M/¥396M 
See You Tomorrow - ¥1.45M/470M
Nerve - ¥1M/9.35M

Moana - ¥0.2M/223M (back in top 10, wish it had more showtimes)

Jackie Chan's Railroad Tigers continue to fudge... the box office is fake, and everyone in the industry knows it. 
What does Jackie want? 1billion yuan? Gosh. Its crazy, no one is doing anything to stop him.