A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

58 minutes ago, Lihongkim said:

I felt sad for my hero. I don't want to miss any of his films tbh, but hey it's the SW series. I have never watched one and don't want to watch either. 

How is his character? Did he get enough screen times? I just want him to do well and get worldwide recognition. He just broke into HLW in his 50s. It's kinda late but better than not. If the world has justice, he should become the king of action/martial art star soon. He already did it in my heart ???.

Have you watched it? If not... Why? Go watch this for him!

Don't worry about his role, he did very well. =) Really really well, I am not kidding. Just go 1 round through twitter, search "Donnie Yen", see how many people are tweeting about him as their favourite character. He trended on US/UK twitter and facebook for a few days when R1 just premiered!

At least 3 articles from reputable websites/news eg: The Guardian also rank him as the best character. =)

And if you are worried about Box Office in China, DON'T BE! Because Donnie is already well known there, and in most parts of Asia. R1 is doing well in Europe and North America, these are the places where people are seeing Donnie Yen first time on big screen, so box office there is more important for him if you want him to gain world-wide recognition. =)

Edited by TigerPaw
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, Lihongkim said:

I felt sad for my hero. I don't want to miss any of his films tbh, but hey it's the SW series. I have never watched one and don't want to watch either. 

How is his character? Did he get enough screen times? I just want him to do well and get worldwide recognition. He just broke into HLW in his 50s. It's kinda late but better than not. If the world has justice, he should become the king of action/martial art star soon. He already did it in my heart ???.

He was excellent in R1. As a fan of Donnie Yen, you should watch it. 

• Like 1

SATURDAY ESTIMATES
Rogue One - ¥82M /154M
Some Like It Hot - ¥30.2M/339M
Railroad Tigers - ¥15.4M/589M
The Great Wall - ¥8M/¥1097M 
Hacksaw Ridge - ¥4.5M/¥389M 
See You Tomorrow - ¥2.6M/465M
Nerve - ¥2.95M/4.8M
The Snow Queen 2 - ¥1.5M/30.9M
Moana - ¥0.9M/222M

Edited by Olive
  • Like 13

12 minutes ago, Olive said:

SATURDAY ESTIMATES
Rogue One - ¥82M /154M
Some Like It Hot - ¥30.2M/339M
Railroad Tigers - ¥15.4M/589M
The Great Wall - ¥8M/¥1097M 
Hacksaw Ridge - ¥4.5M/¥389M 
See You Tomorrow - ¥2.6M/465M
Nerve - ¥2.95M/4.8M
The Snow Queen 2 - ¥1.5M/30.9M
Moana - ¥0.9M/222M

crossed 80m yuan (if estimates hold up)... Disappointing, hope tomorrow(Sunday) it maintains or just drops a little.  Or else I doubt it can even match Star Trek Beyond =(

34 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Have you watched it? If not... Why? Go watch this for him!

Don't worry about his role, he did very well. =) Really really well, I am not kidding. Just go 1 round through twitter, search "Donnie Yen", see how many people are tweeting about him as their favourite character. At least 3 articles from reputable websites/news eg: The Guardian also rank him as the best character. =)

And if you are worried about Box Office in China, DON'T BE! Because Donnie is already well know there, and in most parts of Asia. R1 is doing well in Europe and North America, these are the places where people are seeing Donnie Yen first time on big screen, so box office there is more important for him if you want him to gain world-wide recognition. =)

I'm glad to hear that. Even I won't watch this on the big screen, I'm just so excited he's doing well. He deserves all these recognitions. I'm a bit worried about him. I think the reason why he was in this movie bc of China/Asia box office. If the movie didn't do well there, will its affect his future HLW work? 

I hope his new non-Asian fans will watch his Chinese film as well. I just hope everyone will know him as the Kung Fu/martial art master rather than his role in HLW.

57 minutes ago, jb007 said:

He was excellent in R1. As a fan of Donnie Yen, you should watch it. 

I'll watch this when it's available online. will watch only his part.   

9 minutes ago, Lihongkim said:

I'm glad to hear that. Even I won't watch this on the big screen, I'm just so excited he's doing well. He deserves all these recognitions. I'm a bit worried about him. I think the reason why he was in this movie bc of China/Asia box office. If the movie didn't do well there, will its affect his future HLW work? 

I hope his new non-Asian fans will watch his Chinese film as well. I just hope everyone will know him as the Kung Fu/martial art master rather than his role in HLW.

I'll watch this when it's available online. will watch only his part.   

If you don't even want to support him or watch it on the big screen.... and if many fans feel the same. Wait for it to come online, then how will the box office do well?

Trust me, he has some lines that you can only enjoy fully on the big screen! And you must see the audience reaction when he say those lines, he has arguably the Best Single Line in the entire movie, with the best audience reaction!

PS: Anyway I hope it won't affect his future Hollywood movies... Disney should be smart enough to know that R1 failed because of TFA and almost 0 effort in marketing in China in comparison to TFA (I have internal credible sources to say that, but i can't say it out). It is not Donnie's fault, but I don't know if other studios will know that....
Hope xXx changes that, earns a big deal in China and people know how consistent of a draw he is. =)

Edited by TigerPaw

1 hour ago, Lihongkim said:

Funny, if you are concerned about his future but wont buy a ticket... it is the opposite to supporting in my POV.

ROGUE ONE: THE FORCE AWAKENS earned est. ¥82M ($11.8M) on Saturday, just +20% opening day. China's 2 day total is ¥154M ($22.3M)

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Funny, if you are concerned about his future but wont buy a ticket... it is the opposite to supporting in my POV.

Completely agree, but perhaps this is the kind of thinking that pervades the Chinese market and other fan driven film industries. Maybe the OP can elaborate on his/her perspective?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

If you don't even want to support him or watch it on the big screen.... and if many fans feel the same. Wait for it to come online, then how will the box office do well?

Trust me, he has some lines that you can only enjoy fully on the big screen! And you must see the audience reaction when he say those lines, he has arguably the Best Single Line in the entire movie, with the best audience reaction!

PS: Anyway I hope it won't affect his future Hollywood movies... Disney should be smart enough to know that R1 failed because of TFA and almost 0 effort in marketing in China in comparison to TFA (I have internal credible sources to say that, but i can't say it out). It is not Donnie's fault, but I don't know if other studios will know that....
Hope xXx changes that, earns a big deal in China and people know how consistent of a draw he is. =)

That's what concerned me. It really isn't his fault. I guess they are just like me, too late to watch this series. After all still liked him but not the movie. 

Asked for XXX, I'm sure it'll do better. Hope his role as the villain won't affect Chinese. 

7 minutes ago, Lihongkim said:

That's what concerned me. It really isn't his fault. I guess they are just like me, too late to watch this series. After all still liked him but not the movie. 

Asked for XXX, I'm sure it'll do better. Hope his role as the villain won't affect Chinese. 

Go watch Rogue One, go support him. Just 1 ticket, really. Support him, if you want him in more Hollywood movies. =)
It is a spin-off, so you don't need to watch the entire series to understand. =) If need be, just watch the first 30minutes of Episode 4 - A New Hope.

Anyway for xXx, *SPOILER ALERT*

Spoiler

he isn't the villain! =/

Edited by TigerPaw

14 minutes ago, jiangsen said:

Completely agree, but perhaps this is the kind of thinking that pervades the Chinese market and other fan driven film industries. Maybe the OP can elaborate on his/her perspective?

I don't blame him actually, I mean some general audiences and fans are pissed off that Donnie Yen is cast in a Spin-off (外传)instead of a main episode。 And as you know, in Mandarin, Wai Zhuan sounds bad, like a completly different story, a "outside" story. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

I don't blame him actually, I mean some general audiences and fans are pissed off that Donnie Yen is cast in a Spin-off (外传)instead of a main episode。 And as you know, in Mandarin, Wai Zhuan sounds bad, like a completly different story, a "outside" story. 

Chinese title of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story is 星球大战外传:侠盗一号

星球=Star

大战=Wars

外传=Extra Story

侠盗=Rogue

一号=One

Extra Story might make most people think that I can just see this film by download.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Lihongkim said:

XXX franchise is more... lets say body orientated than other franchises.

He wont win recognition in GA in westerns countries for that, only for the part of the populations focused on that kind of films

E.g. me, older female from Europe, who does also like action wont watch XXX in general for that.

I might for other reasons, but wont find anyone here interested to see a film with story, that franchise is not known for... mindfulness. Not saying that SW is THE mindful franchise (is there even a mindful franchise?), but beside a few over-the-top internet or... reactions (out of those who seem to be against all), SW does have a reputation for being NOT being a mindless action film.

He made an impact in SW R1 for his acting, timing.... too. That will help him in the long run, but not being another (in cliché terms, not my opinion) Asian fighter-actor, see what can happen with XXX.

I hope for him that there will be scenes to show his acting... in XXX and that those scene will be used in the promos, that might help too, as a kind of built up on the foundation of SW R1 impression.

It can be the opposite, an actor only known for such kind of films (mindless action reputation) wont usually even get offered interesting or more generally respected roles.

That is, why I try to watch those films, where an actor tries to get away from typecasting and similar. I am living a bit too far away from a city, so I can not watch as much as I want to.

I guess I do not understand that kind of thinking (to not buy a ticket), but I am not expecting to understand all the different POVs of different cultures and backgrounds, still interesting to learn that. Please do not understand it that way, I tried to show up what the most usual reactions can be only to give a glimpse at another POV/typical reactions/..., not to judge your POV.

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 2

There's two ways to look at this, I mean honestly, the doom and gloom this week had me thinking it was gonna do 45 million or so so it'll exceed that, but not put up any impressive numbers. The relative average/negative WOM is disappointing though, I mean I get it, this has a lot of ties to A New Hope which simply isn't an institution in China as it is in countries like the US, UK, etc, so the first couple acts will have less urgency to newcomers than us.

But, I would think people took notice of Donnie Yen's charismatic performance and how audiences responded in general to him, not just China. Maybe he couldn't make up for other elements for R1's disappointing gross in China, but he got notices from the critics and fans, and that counts for something. I don't think his future in Hollywood lies solely on how well the movie does in China!

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Go watch Rogue One, go support him. Just 1 ticket, really. Support him, if you want him in more Hollywood movies. =)
It is a spin-off, so you don't need to watch the entire series to understand. =) If need be, just watch the first 30minutes of Episode 4 - A New Hope.

Anyway for xXx, *SPOILER ALERT*

Reveal hidden contents

I feel you, as I always convince my friend/family to watch his movie. 

I read somewhere that he plays the villain so it surprised me that it can release in China. Thank for your info. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

Chinese title of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story is 星球大战外传:侠盗一号

星球=Star

大战=Wars

外传=Extra Story

侠盗=Rogue

一号=One

Extra Story might make most people think that I can just see this film by download.

Gavin, you are too kind to only point out the 外传 part. =)
 Disney screwed up the chinese translation, and we know that. =)

星球=Star

大战=Wars

外传=Extra Story/Outside Story - which simply means not important/not main episodes - "Let's just skip this" - for any audience that knows Chinese

侠盗= There is no direct chinese translation for Rogue. Xia Dao here is the exact translation of Grand Theft Auto's chinese title(侠盗猎车手). So Xia Dao = Heroic Theft/Hero/Grand Theft 

一号=One or Number 1 or First or Call Sign One... 

So adding together. It means either Star Wars Extra Story: Grand Theft Number 1 or Star Wars Outside Story: Hero Call Sign 1.

And honestly, I have seen so many hollywood movies translation.. And I am not even exaggerating when I say, this is one of the worst chinese translaton of a Hollywood movie. =(

So when Donnie Yen/Jiang Wen fans say.. Why is my favourite star cast in a freaking outside story instead of main episode. Or a GA saying, why are Chinese Actors not in the main episodes?!
Well, we know their frustations.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, MrPink said:

There's two ways to look at this, I mean honestly, the doom and gloom this week had me thinking it was gonna do 45 million or so so it'll exceed that, but not put up any impressive numbers. The relative average/negative WOM is disappointing though, I mean I get it, this has a lot of ties to A New Hope which simply isn't an institution in China as it is in countries like the US, UK, etc, so the first couple acts will have less urgency to newcomers than us.

But, I would think people took notice of Donnie Yen's charismatic performance and how audiences responded in general to him, not just China. Maybe he couldn't make up for other elements for R1's disappointing gross in China, but he got notices from the critics and fans, and that counts for something. I don't think his future in Hollywood lies solely on how well the movie does in China!

I hope it didn't come to that impression, I think he did already have an impact at the GA see here in Germany or US or... he was great! I tried to point out, that per country it can help an actor in general to get tickets... if trying out something ~ new / outside the type-casting.

About him being 'only' in an 'extra' story:

Disney did take in my POV a risk with the extra story idea, they said they want to try out new ways to approach the SW world. They seemed to be willing to take great expenses, extra effort... into this film, that includes in my POV the casting. 

The casting was at an early point a sign for people to realise they (SW) try to get in a way the best people possible, to me it is a a sign of confidence on the part of the creatives to give him this kind of lines... an average to even good action actor with less capability could have 'destroyed' without that timing... an important part of the film.

It is not a sign of 2nd class thinking that they picked the people they picked, I think it is the opposite.

They want to start stand alone film series in a huge world, that wont work, if the first one isnt done with an high effort, they (studio) seem to think in years to come.

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Gavin, you are too kind to only point out the 外传 part. =)
 Disney screwed up the chinese translation, and we know that. =)

星球=Star

大战=Wars

外传=Extra Story/Outside Story - which simply means not important/not main episodes - "Let's just skip this" - for any audience that knows Chinese

侠盗= There is no direct chinese translation for Rogue. Xia Dao here is the exact translation of Grand Theft Auto's chinese title(侠盗猎车手). So Xia Dao = Heroic Theft/Hero/Grand Theft 

一号=One or Number 1 or First or Call Sign One... 

So adding together. It means either Star Wars Extra Story: Grand Theft Number 1 or Star Wars Outside Story: Hero Call Sign 1.

And honestly, I have seen so many hollywood movies translation.. And I am not even exaggerating when I say, this is one of the worst chinese translaton of a Hollywood movie. =(

So when Donnie Yen/Jiang Wen fans say.. Why is my favourite star cast in a freaking outside story instead of main episode. Or a GA saying, why are Chinese Actors not in the main episodes?!
Well, we know their frustations.

As a person who hardly play video games, I can't remember Grand Theft Auto’s…...

• Like 1