#ED

Estimated Wknd Numbers - BD2(141.3M) Skyfall(41.5M) Lincoln(21M)

So are we going to change all the weekend records then? It would be silly to say that Thursdays count in 2015 but not in 2005.

No, people who actually care (like us) will simply note that the OW number includes grosses from Thursday night previews. I mean, if you really want to split hairs, why is Friday considered part of the weekend?

My problem is not as much that Summit is counting the 10PM Thu shows toward the weekend, it's that they seem to playing by different rules than all of the other studios. I mean, search "Skyfall opening weekend" and you'll find 87.8m is the estimate number Sony reported, rather than the 90m it apparently should have.It needs to be an even playing field.

And it will be. Watch all the other studios follow suit. This is a general trend in the industry, it's not like Summit is surprising people here.edit: I'm sure this article was totally discussed and dissected here when it came out (I was taking a hiatus from BOT so I don't know), but:http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/wake-dark-knight-rises-shooting-382873

[Taken 2], The Liam Neeson action sequel started at 10 p.m. on Thursday in what's quickly becoming a trend that's helping boost box-office traffic overall.

Owners of theaters large and small are lobbying all the film companies to consider starting earlier on Thursday evenings. In exchange, they've agreed to treat Thursday night earnings as midnight numbers so that the money can be counted as part of a film's official weekend total.

An executive at another studio questions the fairness of reporting any Thursday night booty as part of the weekend, pointing out that if a movie claims to have broken a record, it won't be an apples-to-apples comparison. "You have to draw a line. We have a history of opening a film at 12:01 a.m. This isn't right," he says.

A rival executive counters: "Let me give you a baseball analogy. There used to be 154 games a year. It's now 162 games a year. When Roger Maris broke Babe Ruth's record for most home runs, there used to be an asterisk explaining the difference. There's no asterisk anymore. It is what it is."

The industry is self-policing in this regard. If it becomes standard, then it becomes standard. Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 1

Skyfall isn't losing many showtimes here. Most multiplexes are keeping all of their screens for it (though some are dropping from 5 to 4), plus it still has IMAX. Flight and the other less dominating holdovers are losing a lot to Twilight/Lincoln.I think WOM is good enough that Skyfall will drop only around 50% this weekend. I do find it fascinating that Twilight's rush-out audience has stayed virtually the same since New Moon. They added 2 hours of extra showtimes and it still made just as much as Eclipse and BD1. No 'finale bump', just the same ~3 million people.

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 1

I don't recall seeing them split up. Bond's actually showed in Thursday dailies.

I think you're confusing Thurs previews and midnights. Thurs previews are always separated however mids are lumped into Friday since they are technically Friday. I can't remember an instance that BOM didn't get the pre midnight numbers separate from the post midnight numbers. Pretty sure this is a first. At least for a big film like this.

Phantom Menace adjusts to like 700M. Sorcerer's Stone adjusts to over 450M....it was logical to expect the finales for these franchises to take a hefty increase over its previous installments. They obviously have fans that dont show up for each and every film. Twilights highest ticket seller was New Moon, which adjusts to 310M. To expect anything more than that for BD2 was a little delusional....I mean, why would more people show up for the finale than any film in the franchises history? With the exception of LOTR, this is unprecedented among recent movie franchises.

Edited by Mr Potter

I don't think anyone was expecting this to go much farther than New Moon adjusted overall. It's just a given that as time progresses, rush factor increases, so we expected a larger initial here than before, and that would begin with midnights. It's not that unreasonable (actually it's pretty typical)

Edited by spizzer

I don't think anyone was expecting this to go much farther than New Moon adjusted overall. It's just a given that as time progresses, rush factor increases, so we expected a larger initial here than before, and that would begin with midnights. It's not that unreasonable (actually it's pretty typical)

But Twilight is the epitome of what frontloaded means. It can't really get much more frontloaded. BD1 had a 2.06x....that's as bad as it gets IMO. What were people expecting? a 1.75x?

Phantom Menace adjusts to like 700M. Sorcerer's Stone adjusts to over 450M....it was logical to expect the finales for these franchises to take a hefty increase over its previous installments. They obviously have fans that dont show up for each and every film. Twilights highest ticket seller was New Moon, which adjusts to 310M. To expect anything more than that for BD2 was a little delusional....I mean, why would more people show up for the finale than any film in the franchises history? With the exception of LOTR, this is unprecedented among recent movie franchises.

Hindsight. ;)

No, just marginally more frontloaded, about 2.00-2.03 (mid 150s OW and around 305M total). The increasing frontloadedness is a little misleading, NM and BD1 have both had adjusted multiplier of 2.32 and 2.34 respectively (Eclipse scaled to a 3-day weekend projects at a 2.37). This is going to do around 2.34 as well

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure PA4's 10PM shows were counted with the weekend numbers. I think Sony is the only studio that separates previews out. TDKR counted all the marathons and their inflated ticket prices with the TDKR gross. Studios always fudge numbers like this. Always.

BOM just posted Batman Begins and TDK new gross about a month ago. So I'm no longer sure they were counted in.

I think you're confusing Thurs previews and midnights. Thurs previews are always separated however mids are lumped into Friday since they are technically Friday. I can't remember an instance that BOM didn't get the pre midnight numbers separate from the post midnight numbers. Pretty sure this is a first. At least for a big film like this.

10 PM showings are the new midnights because some part of the movie (i.e. climax) was shown on Friday. :P Edited by Fake

Twilight has to be one of the most boring box office performers of all (both on and off screen!). It will have 30M midnights, 140ish weekend and run out of stream at 300 +/- 10M. The last few have all done that because they have a set market and thats that. Big numbers, but very very boring.

Twilight has to be one of the most boring box office performers of all (both on and off screen!). It will have 30M midnights, 140ish weekend and run out of stream at 300 +/- 10M. The last few have all done that because they have a set market and thats that. Big numbers, but very very boring.

Anything from TDKR to Skyfall was boring, but big openers are always hot topics.