#ED

Estimated Wknd Numbers - BD2(141.3M) Skyfall(41.5M) Lincoln(21M)

So we can call it a succes right :P

Sure, it definitely made money. I'd argue it probably didn't make money theatrically though...those Spidey marketing campaigns cost a pretty penny. Add on that production budget and the movie probably falls a bit short until home video money comes into the picture.
  • Like 2

Derpity take a look at my post above. That 90% is true, but it's not against total gross box office.

What would the typical house nut be for movies like Twilight,Batman and Avengers?

Yes, thank you kowhite. I know a lot about box office (only because I'm obsessed with it) but I do not know all of the inside minutia of it the way some of the posters here do. Thank you for enlightening me with some info I had never heard before. :)

• Like 1

Sure, it definitely made money. I'd argue it probably didn't make money theatrically though...those Spidey marketing campaigns cost a pretty penny. Add on that production budget and the movie probably falls a bit short until home video money comes into the picture.

Thanks... I was also just teasing Baumer a bit :)

What would the typical house nut be for movies like Twilight,Batman and Avengers?

Honestly I don't really know. I'm kinda backig into my numbers based on what I do know, which means the house nut is probably somewhere around 30-35%. I'm not even sure the nut changes depending on title.

Honestly I don't really know. I'm kinda backig into my numbers based on what I do know, which means the house nut is probably somewhere around 30-35%. I'm not even sure the nut changes depending on title.

How can the nut be % wise?I thought it was X$ pr theater or seats

Derpity take a look at my post above. That 90% is true, but it's not against total gross box office.

Read your post, thanks, but I still don't think the 90% is true for this movie because the economics makes no sense. Compare a movie like Toy Story 3 with Twilight 3. An exhibitor would be willing to give 90% for Toy Story 3 in the initial weeks because its going to be bringing in revenue for a very long time -- 188m in revenue after its second weekend. But they wouldn't be willing to do it for Twilight because it completely plummets after the second weekend -- 65m in revenue after its second weekend. So when Regal sits down with Summit/LG and negotiates the new Twilight movie, they're going to be FAR more aggressive in getting a higher take of the initial box office. And the distributor is likely to cede them some percentages, because they want Twilight as widely shown as possible.In that same vein, if you look at the theater count...it fell by 10% after Eclipse to BD1 and BD2 from 4400+ to 4000+. Not sure what that would be attributable to, but it could be unfavorable exhibitor/distributor agreements for one of the major chains.

Read your post, thanks, but I still don't think the 90% is true for this movie because the economics makes no sense. Compare a movie like Toy Story 3 with Twilight 3. An exhibitor would be willing to give 90% for Toy Story 3 in the initial weeks because its going to be bringing in revenue for a very long time -- 188m in revenue after its second weekend. But they wouldn't be willing to do it for Twilight because it completely plummets after the second weekend -- 65m in revenue after its second weekend. So when Regal sits down with Summit/LG and negotiates the new Twilight movie, they're going to be FAR more aggressive in getting a higher take of the initial box office. And the distributor is likely to cede them some percentages, because they want Twilight as widely shown as possible.In that same vein, if you look at the theater count...it fell by 10% after Eclipse to BD1 and BD2 from 4400+ to 4000+. Not sure what that would be attributable to, but it could be unfavorable exhibitor/distributor agreements for one of the major chains.

You're missing a big part of the equation. You're arguing that the only reason they give such favorable percentages is because of the legs the film will have. This though, is not the primary factor why they'll capitulate high rates to movies like Star Wars or Toy Story.They give 90% because the movie will drive tons of people into their theater. And lots of people means more sales of where they make most of their profit...concessions. That is why a movie like Twilight has a ton of leverage, and definitely could get 90%. The long term revenue isn't anywhere near as relevant as the reams of people that will come in and buy expensive candy and soda.
  • Like 2