8 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Another film I'd love to see, playing in limited release in downtown Toronto.

Reviews kind of put me off a bit but still am interested. There is a screening near me next week but will probably see Anna Karenina instead.

As I said in another thread, I thought this was delightful. Funny in many moments and morbid in others. Audience loved it. And it was pretty to look at, thanks to Jeff Cronenweth.I'd campaign Helen Mirren but it would be solely for that one scene - "I cry for you when they are bad..." which is much longer and better than the trailer.

• Like 1

As I said in another thread, I thought this was delightful. Funny in many moments and morbid in others. Audience loved it. And it was pretty to look at, thanks to Jeff Cronenweth.I'd campaign Helen Mirren but it would be solely for that one scene - "I cry for you when they are bad..." which is much longer and better than the trailer.

Yeah it was great in the trailer. How was James D'arcy? I love him.

I found this film to be worse then HBO's The Girl.

Anthony Hopkins Hitchcock seems to be unable to emote past a few screams. It's really Helen Mirren's show. Maybe it was cause my theater was dead but all the jokes that were in the trailer fell flat.

I found the plot to be elementary. Hitchcock paranoid wife is cheating on him while trying to finish his passion project seemed like something straight out of a soap opera. Since Hitchcock himself was a black hole, it really dragged down rest of movie. Did not help that 1 expression Scarlett Johnanseen and 1 1/2 expressions Jessica Biel have big supporting roles.

There are a couple good scenes that save the film: The making of the shower scene, Hitchcock yelling at Leigh in the car, Mirren's monologue at end of fight.But meh, i found the movie to be confused as to where it wanted to go and how hard it wanted to push itself.

Aaaaaaaarhhhhhhhhh! The waisted potential, its driving me mad! What a disappointment, by god!

Alfred Hitchcock is by far the most legendary movie director of all time. Even kids who have never seen his pictures could recognize him from a picture. He made some of the greatest films of all time, and he became the first "celebrity director" with the tv-show he hosted. So we're dealing with a big guy here, and not just physically. When you attempt to play a character as iconic as Hitchcock, you need to do a fucking great job for the viewer not to go "He's nothing like the real guy". This happened to Michelle Williams with her much acclaimed role in My Week with Marilyn. I just didn't buy Williams as Monroe, and to me it seemed like she wasn't even trying that hard to sound or act like the real deal. 

Hopkins goes the other way; he overdoes it. He keeps puckering his lips and talking like he has slime in his throat. There's nothing subtle about his performance, its like a Hitchcock impression gone wrong. Hopkins isn't given much to do either, with the script making no efforts of digging deeper behind the legend. He stays as a one dimensional caricature that you cant attach yourself to. The real Hitchcock was a fascinating motherfucker, a really mysterious and witty and kinda creepy guy. The Hithcock they show in this movie is boring and about as interesting as a Madam Tussouds wax puppet. Bleugh.

Helen Mirren is good, but she isn't exactly breaking new ground as Hitchcock's wife. I'd still say she's the best thing about this movie, even though I saw her being on autopilot. They also have Scarlett Johansson, who has never looked more beautiful, as Janet Leigh, and she does an alright job.

Hitchcock isn't a good movie. Its shallow, its forgettable, its messy.. The bits with Ed Gein talking with Hitchock felt really out of place for me, for example. They gave no insight into Hitch's character, and they were just odd and unnecessary.

I still give it 2,5/5, because there's nothing hateful about it, and as I have said Helen Mirren is good in it.

So yeah,

2,5/5

The more I think about this the more I like it tbh. Sure the 'affair' subplot is fairly irrelevant but even at it's worst it's a well acted, shot and scored movie. Hopkins is far, far better than he's getting credit for, some of the scenes with just Hitch staring are really impressive. I know it's not extremely accurate but I don't even care.

I'll be getting the blu-ray.

For the most part, simply boring as fuck.

In the end what we have here is your typical contrived hack-job Hollywood drama.  There's nothing really worse than a film that plays it so safe that it's not bad enough to be fun and is instead simply dull to its very core.  It's kind of equivalent to studying the origins of the universe and only reading about creationism.  Brutal.

Plain and simple.........it's the kind of film your Mom will leave the theater raving about.

Enough said.