Moviedweeb

Weekend Estimates:BD2: 9.2 LINC 9.115

Uhm.... Hobbit? I'm really worried that Skyfall will die when the Hobbit opens, but hoping that it doesn't and legs its way to 300M.

Hobbit has its own troubles to worry about. It won't affect Skyfall one bit.
  • Like 1

Even if Hobbit hits it and Skyfall drops in the 50%+ range with holidays upon us, 300M would be pretty close to a lock.

I'd say 45% drop. Skyfall is #1 this weekend so it won't lose huge amount of screenings next weekend.

Hobbit has its own troubles to worry about. It won't affect Skyfall one bit.

Doubt the bad reviews will affect it OW. Those who wanted to see it OW still are, this who arrn't still aren't. The reviews haven't changed a thing.

Doubt the bad reviews will affect it OW. Those who wanted to see it OW still are, this who arrn't still aren't. The reviews haven't changed a thing.

It's not like Hobbit is opening with 150m+. It will open with, say 100m, so there will be plenty of room for Skyfall as well.

Hobbit will take all the IMAX screens,

So it will do about 10% less than what it would have done otherwise.Assuming 10m as reference for this weekend:7m if no major film had opened.6m if a 100m film opened.5.5m because of further loss of IMAX.i.e. 45% drop. 50% is worst case.

Faulty logic. For even fan-driven films(except Twilight maybe) a big portion of OW crowd is made up of casual audience who make up their mind presently based on what they read in the papers or hear from friends. A clear demonstration can be seen in the case of Avengers, where WOM immensely helped Friday night and Saturday and Sunday holds.

I only need refer you to a couple of films, E.T. and Titanic. Beyond that, I'm 100% positive many other films have. Recently there was a small indie film called Avatar that I think did it, but who knows, it was kind of under the radar. :P

I meant: No #1 2nd, 3nd, 4nd, but #1 5nd weekend ...

No numbers, no thread. This is and always has been how it's done. How fair is it to the person who actually does have something to report when the thread is already open so it ends up on page 15 because we've been talking about everything other than Friday's numbers.

It's a boring weekend, no one cares much right now to report anything. I don't know what to tell you. The only reason this will stay open is because Rth reported something. Otherwise I would have to lock this just as I did DAR's.

/rant

No numbers, no thread.

Does a thread starter have to post numbers?

If so, the number of thread starters for a thread of this type will be very limited!

I meant: No #1 2nd, 3nd, 4nd, but #1 5nd weekend ...

Oh, that's about as clear as mud, but I think I get what you're saying. E.T. was #1 for the first 6 weeks then it went back and forth between #2 and #1 for the next 13 weekends, then it dropped all the way down to 5th before rebounding to #1 again in its 25th and 26th weekends. Hell, A Fish Called Wanda was wide for 7 weekends before getting to #1 for the first time.I just don't think it's anything to consider a record(cue Nikki "not a record" jokes here), but it is worthy of note as it is rare. Edited by Accursed Arachnid!™

No numbers, no thread.Does a thread starter have to post numbers?If so, the number of thread starters for a thread of this type will be very limited!

Indeed. On BOM, it was usually between 2-5 people who would post numbers threads. It's just the way it is. I'd love if Rth would just start a thread when he works up numbers if he has them first. Feel free Rth, we would all appreciate it, I'm sure. ;)