14 members have voted

1. 1. Grade In Time

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I was hotly anticipating this film from its synopsis and posters but unfortunately once the trailer came out my hopes took a hit. Niccol, previously of Lord of War and the Truman Show, cemented my expectations that this could work despite having seen about a minute of the trailer and being reminded of past disappointments; Adjustment Bureau, Edge of Darkness etc. There's something about sci-fi that really attracts me yet I also do have a knack of telling whether the film will ultimately disappoint me, unfortunately I never, ever, think rationally and always end up hoping that somehow it can be turned around, sigh.So, for a film project I ended up watching the full trailer and confirming what I had already thought-that it would be a generic action movie, but yet today I ended up seeing it and my stubbornness was rewarded with the exact outcome I'd expected. The film tries to be too many things at once, from trying to be philosophical about time and its use, being a Robin Hood tale, a sleek classy beauty and crime hero/heroine action smash up but doesn't go anywhere really. Plot holes are abound, Timberlake fails to carry Will Salas convincingly, deux es machina, unresolved plotting...heh.And just like the movie, I don't have the time for a proper conclusion so, my grade's a C+.

Sooooo much potential.........wasted.

The idea was excellent and the movie explores many deep issues and even shows them in subtle ways.

But in the end it turns out to be a B-quality weird bonnie & clyde action film with a fantastic background.

B

Bingo. My thoughts exactly. I was actually frustrated when it was over because it's a great looking movie (thanks Roger Deakins!), the performances were good but there was that something extra missing. It turned a fantastic concept into something a bit more generic/hollow.

3.5/5, B

Finally got around to watching it on BD - not exactly a bad movie but far far from perfect. Like someone mentioned, a lot of wasted opportunities. Ok, I accept it's a kind of fairytale (the ecomomic setup is ridiculous) but even so there are quite a few scenes that leave me mystified/clueless/shaking my head. Like having a completely uncalled-for car chase, like surviving a flipover crash in said convertible (without your seatbelt too - like in Start trek!), like firing a gun for the first time and even hitting something, like the idea that a million years will change ecomomy where 100k can not, like having said million stored in a plastic case in a bank vault (Scrooge McDuck knew why he never let that thing out of his house) and so on ... all these ridiculous details completely overshadow the fact that this might indeed have been a film with an attitude and a satirical comment on today's ecomomy.All this would make the film a C maximum in my book but there are some redeeming qualities: First, I'm a sucker for pretty legs and Amandy Seyfried and Olivia Wilde show theirs off to maximum effect (though the many miles of running and jumping Amanda does in her high heels only ad to the ridiculousness), and second, Roger Deakins' camerawork is worth seeing as always (maybe he'll get the academy's recognition for Skyfall). So, B from me.

Incredibly compelling idea, tossed into a completely bland movie. Fascinating sci-fi angle, pretty good performances particularly from Murphy, but found myself repeatedly irritated throughout. Movies for me are all about storytelling and this missed the mark.C