iceroll

Weekend #s Hobbit 84.7 ROG 7.4 Linc 7.2 Sky 7.0 Pi 5.4 BD2 5.2 pg 90

I'm not saying $150m was ever realistic, because that was always a ridiculous number to begin with, but I'm sorry, some people here are acting like a $100-120m opening weekend was always an impossibility. LOTR was and still is one of the most beloved, popular franchises of all time. It wasn't at all unrealistic to predict an opening around or just above $100m for a massive project such as this.

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 2

You can really feel when people want movies to fail. That for me is BITCHING.

No. You are bitching. When people want a movie to fail they wish for $5 mio OW. TH OW of about $85-90 mio is anything but fail and that`s in relation to its budget too.Also, there is a difference between wanting for something to fail completely and wanting for something to fail in relation to ridiculous expectations. I certainly want every TH movie to fail to fulfill Neo`s :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: overpredictions and I want them to fail in that regard by a really REALLY large margin. That wouldn`t make the movies failures at all when you objectively think about it.

I'm not saying $150m was ever realistic, because that was always a ridiculous number to begin with, but I'm sorry, some people here are acting like a $100-120m opening weekend was always impossibility. LOTR was and still is one of the most beloved, popular franchises of all time. It wasn't at all unrealistic to predict an opening around or just above $100m for such a massive project such as this.

I agree, i can only hope that the reviews stunted the opening, but the WOM will restore its proper total gross. The critics and the GA are very much in disagreement over this movie. This isnt like Twilight, that has a built in audience, TH is a movie thats accessible to anyone, and doesnt have a rabid fanbase of tweens.

I'm not saying $150m was ever realistic, because that was always a ridiculous number to begin with, but I'm sorry, some people here are acting like a $100-120m opening weekend was always impossibility. LOTR was and still is one of the most beloved, popular franchises of all time. It wasn't at all unrealistic to predict an opening around or just above $100m for such a massive project such as this.

It`s totally realistic to expect less. TH =/= LOTR. If this argument is considered valid against critical bashing that TH isn`t as good as LOTR because it isn`t LOTR than it should be valid for explaining why OW did not blow past $100 mio or past Shriekapoo adjusted. It isn`t LOTR. Simple.This is comparable to FC really. Same universe, younger versions of familiar characters but! No Wolverine (no Aragorn), it`s a prequel (we know how the story ends and getting there is never as compelling as when you don`t know what`s gonna happen), new characters don`t register like old ones.

It`s totally realistic to expect less. TH =/= LOTR. If this argument is considered valid against critical bashing that TH isn`t as good as LOTR because it isn`t LOTR than it should be valid for explaining why OW did not blow past $100 mio or past Shriekapoo adjusted. It isn`t LOTR. Simple.This is comparable to FC really. Same universe, younger versions of familiar characters but! No Wolverine (no Aragorn), it`s a prequel (we know how the story ends and getting there is never as compelling as when you don`t know what`s gonna happen), new characters don`t register like old ones.

I see your point, but was Aragorn really the draw in LOTR? I really dont see it. Pretty much everyone else was more popular than him, besides LOTR ended on a high, FC came off the back of a not very good third movie.

Not loving it is very different from hating and wanting it to fail.

Nope. It`s the fanaboy unreasonable and hostile overpredicting this-will-crush-that that most people want to fail. if you make a completely competitive, gauntlet-in-the-face club like TH Over HP or THG or any movie Over different movie than you bet that fans of the other movie will want the club to fail. Stick to your own franchise and there won`t be wars and failure-wishing. I was saying so many times that TH fanboys should drop competing with HP and aim at beating Shreikapoo because beating DH2 is also beating Shriekapoo but making a club that`s anti-DH2 irks DH2 fans. Simple.
  • Like 1

So if this does 325 whats that in 2003 dollars....and take out 3D. Thats how much of an audience Hobbit lost.........just checked and using about 280 mill Hobbit adjusts to 218 mill in 03.....big drop from Shriekipoo.

• Like 1

I see your point, but was Aragorn really the draw in LOTR? I really dont see it. Pretty much everyone else was more popular than him, besides LOTR ended on a high, FC came off the back of a not very good third movie.

That's bullshit, Aragorn was the hero, he was the human character for us to relate to. There was no-one else more popular than him (gollum aside) unless you're a fanboy who loves Gandalf. Aragorn was the outcast, he was the leader and characters like gimli and Legolas were his side-kicks. Edited by Jessie
  • Like 1

I see your point, but was Aragorn really the draw in LOTR?

He was. he was one of Top 2-3 characters and definitely top with women. Fans of LOTR movies who never read Tolkien books still ask if he`ll be in the movies. And objectively speaking, his journey is the most compelling to all demographics - a king in exile who spends his day as a hermit-like badass protector of little people, forbidden romance with the most beautiful woman in the world (women loved the whole sacrifice and choice of mortality for love part), what`s not to like? That they are trying to model Thorin after him so much so many call him Aragorn dwarf shows you that they knew Aragorn(like) presence will be missed.

So if this does 325 whats that in 2003 dollars....and take out 3D. Thats how much of an audience Hobbit lost.........just checked and using about 280 mill Hobbit adjusts to 218 mill in 03.....big drop from Shriekipoo.

This is my problem. Im annoyed its likely to get less than THG not because I dislike THG, but because it demonstrates that the audience has contracted so much from the original trilogy. Both are books, but one has history, so where is the audience?

I'm not saying $150m was ever realistic, because that was always a ridiculous number to begin with, but I'm sorry, some people here are acting like a $100-120m opening weekend was always an impossibility. LOTR was and still is one of the most beloved, popular franchises of all time. It wasn't at all unrealistic to predict an opening around or just above $100m for a massive project such as this.

On or just above was okay.... but 125m+? In December? I'm sorry to be rude, but that is just poor prediction skills.