baumer

Zero Dark Thirty

57 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Hmm the film is indeed about politics....It asks if Torture was right or not and shows that in the end the killing of a terrorist. The film is level headed but it never casts doubt about was Bin Laden actually killed or not or if it was moral to do so.The film taked a side in that area.

Okay, I've now seen the movie 3 times in the theater since it has come out, and each time I'm just in awe of how great this movie truly is. The ending hits with a deep emotional punch. It's been a long time since a movie wrapped me up so much in its story line and its characters. The 1st time I saw it, the impact of the finale with Maya going home in the chopper was compelling and moving. I wanted to see if the movie had the same impact after seeing it a couple more times.It succeeded!

Edited by FilmBuff
  • Like 1

Actually, I think it definitely raises the question on "whether it was worth it", on either a practical or moral level. Or at least it leaves it open for the viewer to interpret as such.

I don't think it is saying "was it worth it"but "did we lose a bit ourselves along the way"I think the film when it comes to wheter Bin Laden deserved to face ultimate justice is rather in support of that and never makes you question that or the morality of killing him.I just loved that shot where the main character looks over Bin Laden's body in the end.

This film is quite interesting...

People who supported the war on terror will love this film.

Not true. While I love the war on terror and I want the terrorists to be pursued even more vigoroulsy than they are being now, I cannot love a bland movie made as a docu-drama about the greatest manhunt in history.

I would like some people to list what is so great about the movie.

Script?

Acting (excluding Chastain)?

Thrills?

Pacing?

Score?

Cinematography?

Direction? Specify.

Other than the real life event of eliminating the most hated jerkoff/mass murderer in recent history, this movie does nothing to make me appreciate it in terms of cinematic value. I feel the movie is being appreciated for the event it is based on.

Edited by jb007
  • Like 1

Script? Good, well written, well done

Acting (excluding Chastain)? Entirely forgettable

Thrills? Pretty goddamn gripping

Pacing? Meh, didn't like the middle

Score? I don't ever remember movie scores except for the maybe best of the best

Cinematography? Good

Direction? Specify. Good, except for the editing choices for the raid scene. Headache inducing shifts between nightvision and regular vision. That's probably one of the only horrible or even less than decent choices that the movie made.

I had no issues with any of the above. Script was definitely one of the best of the year, directing was great. Cinematography was good, pacing was good. Score was suitable and the thrills were definitely there.

Edited by acsc1312
  • Like 2

I thought the switching between regular eyesight and nightvision was brilliant. No headaches or issues there.

I get what she was trying to do, but I thought the nightvision needed some time to adjust to but before you could adjust you were yanked back to regular vision and it just repeated again and again giving me a headache. It's the only actually bad directing IMO in the entire movie. The rest of the movie is quite well directed.

Thanks, riczhang. :)When you look at the parts, it is ... ordinary.BTW, I feel United 93 was a far superior movie in every single way compared to ZDT.

I thought that the movie was rather gestalt-ian. The whole was definitely much greater than the sum of its parts.

I get what she was trying to do, but I thought the nightvision needed some time to adjust to but before you could adjust you were yanked back to regular vision and it just repeated again and again giving me a headache. It's the only actually bad directing IMO in the entire movie. The rest of the movie is quite well directed.

That's weird, I didn't even notice the switching because I was on the edge of my seat. I guess it just didn't register with me.

I had no issues with any of the hove. Script was definitely one of the best of the year, directing was great. Cinematography was good, pacing was good. Score was suitable and the thrills were definitely there.

While I disagree with all your contentions, I still would like to get your opinion as to why you think it had great direction and which are sequnces you found thrilling. Don't take it personally. People tastes and opinions vary. But as a movie buff for almost 4 decades, I do not find the evidence that the movie has anything of value in cinematic terms. I'm just trying to understand, why a movie lacking in many areas would be considered great by some here.

While I disagree with all your contentions, I still would like to get your opinion as to why you think it had great direction and which are sequnces you found thrilling. Don't take it personally. People tastes and opinions vary. But as a movie buff for almost 4 decades, I do not find the evidence that the movie has anything of value in cinematic terms. I'm just trying to understand, why a movie lacking in many areas would be considered great by some here.

That's fine. I have plenty of issues with how people consider Lincoln or Argo great (especially the former). I can just say this film hasn't left my mind since I saw it. Something that hadn't happened since The Master in September.

That's weird, I didn't even notice the switching because I was on the edge of my seat. I guess it just didn't register with me.

I did think that the film sagged a little in the middle so when I got to the raid scene I wasn't on the edge of my seat as you were so that's probably why.

I thought it was pretty good, but nothign astounding. Chastain was great in her role, and Clarke was good too. It was very thrilling, but I actually felt like the raid went on way too long. I can't really say much more about it, but it's a solid A.