19 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Well truthfully, that is Albert Brooks in a comedy...whining comedy (unlike if you liked him in Drive, which was a more serious role.)

fyi, I wasn't discussing Albert Brooks in Drive or any other dramatic roles.I was saying that in most cases, Albert Brooks characters in comedies are whinners....or that is his normal act. Edited by Movie Man

i'm watching this right now,and i'm an hour in , and i can't understand how this is slightly over 2hrs

its kinda funny , and i guess pretty realistic but ehhh i find it scary 40!

i love how surreal it is , the mom went to the club and enjoying herself to forget the news about her pregnancy, and the scene with the doctor when she finds out she's pregnant lol

will edit in another 20mn...

best line by the little girl "i hope i  never get my period if this is what happens" :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl: 

also a good one was "i'm tired of everyone fighting all the time" something like that, so true

, i hate that it is such a truth of life when living with family, everyone blaming each other for this or that ,why are families like that?

gosh this movie was a little bit depressing, for a sec there i thought he was either going to get knocked over by a car or have a heart attack, but the door of a car was OUCH-worthy

didnt like the ending, it felt fake and yet so in character if that makes sense, i get what someone meant by at end of film characters are in same place as they were in the beginning! Also agree this needed some serious editing, that party went on for way too long, the subplot about the store also couldnt have been shortened, that asian girl could have been edited out completely

megan fox was ok in this, she's not so bad when she's not the focus of the film as a sexual object ( sure they show her off but that not all there is to her character)

Edited by ladyevenstar22

Heigl and Rogen's characters died in a plane crash. The several LOST references were Apatow's way of subtly alluding to that, because it was too painful for Mann/Rudd to even bring up. Also the reason Mann so wanted to reconnect with her father was due to Heigl's character's death. Alot of her character's emotional outbursts not only come from being hit by 40 but are also a way of grieving for her sister.

oOO rightttt they were the other couple in knocked up, i've totally forgotten that movie, like it did not leave a lasting impression on me, not a fan of heigl or rogen hmmmm

I have to admit, I hated this movie. It's not very funny (I only chuckled a couple of times), the subplots seemed to go nowhere (i.e. the boutique store theft was useless) and the entire thing felt mean spirited culminating with Debbie (Leslie Mann) cursing out a kid. I realize she was pregnant and profusely apologized, but it turned me off to the character and only got worse when Pete does the same thing to the mother (played by Melissa McCarthy who I've never found funny anyway). As obnoxious as the mother was, neither of these characters acted like adults. What did this mother do that was so wrong? Sure, she should've done it in a more private setting but she was defending her son and what does Pete do? Only escalate matters. And I have to ask, what did the kid do that was so egregious? Yeah, he was a punk but all 12-13 year old boys are jerks and their daughter already properly handled it.

Ugh, that's only the beginning and I really don't want to get into Albert Brooks' self-centered, irresponsible character who didn't have any issues asking for money from his son who has his own family to support. His business wasn't going well and decided because he didn't have the balls to tell his wife no, he goes along with her having a kid (which then turns into triplets)???

And as someone mentioned, this is just a depressing movie and the characters don't grow. I initially, on my own ratings list, a 1.75/5 but it's infuriated me to no end since watching it... By next week this could be down to a 0/5 ^_^

*½/*****, (D-, 3.2/10, 1/4)

Edited by The Movieman
  • Like 2

Not everyone grows in real life. Real life is not a 22 minute sitcom where there is a valuable lesson to be learned every time. This is 40 is a look at the life of a 40 year old couple and how their life unfolds. Thew film didn't need for anyone to grow. It just needed to show stuff that we can relate to.

• Like 2

I don't care so much about the growth (or lack thereof) but how these people treated others from Pete and Debbie towards the kid and his mother (again, what did they do to deserve it?) to Pete's father and taking advantage of his son (and Pete not standing up to him). I don't know, they all turned me off.

Edited by The Movieman

It was just good. The beginning had me worried I was walking into a pissy sitcom like "Oh, they aren't having sex and kids are annoying" type of thing but thankfully Apatow upped the psychology of the characters' issues until it blew up repeatedly and consistently was fun to watch, and the explosions were a treat. Watching Pete and Debby needlessly berate a snotty kid and his fat bitch of a mom and getting away with it, Pete yelling at people while riding his bike, it felt like a release for the characters and the audience at the same time, after watching just how damn annoying their lives are to watch them let it out in profanity-laden and well-acted lashes, even when they're giving it to each other. Unlike in most couple arguments we see in movies, which are usually designed to be sad, seeing Pete and Debbie rip into each other feels cathartic because they're venting frustrations that feel real and you're happy they're getting them out. But, there is a ton of bloat and no real story, it feels more like a series of skits maintaining continuity between themselves. It makes it more true to life, but life is messy, and so is this movie.Tons of sub-plots and none of it really seems to be building to anything other than when these people will finally have had enough of each other's shit. 7/101. Funny People2. Knocked Up3. The 40 Year Old Virgin 4. This is 40

I really expected to hate this, but I found this to be a decent film that could have been great.

In the end, editing was not the movie's friend as many scenes were simply not needed and bogged the storyline down.  Still, I thought that despite all the clutter, at its core this was a heartfelt and genuine film about family and aging, with some pretty hilarious scenes to boot.

Not everyone grows in real life. Real life is not a 22 minute sitcom where there is a valuable lesson to be learned every time. This is 40 is a look at the life of a 40 year old couple and how their life unfolds. Thew film didn't need for anyone to grow. It just needed to show stuff that we can relate to.

well said

The R-rating was wasted on this... Felt more like a drama more than a comedy. They could've dropped the few nudity and swearing scenes, get a decent rating and score at least 100M DOM box office. Had a few good laughs, but nothing too serious.

B-

• Like 2

apatow doesnt do pg 13

If he does R, at least he should do it right. Anything I've seen is Leslie Mann's boob and a few swear words that could've been easily avoided. This is like getting R rating just for the sake of getting R rating.

Don't feel like doing a long review ...

Good movie ... humor and some of the Apatow charm of his other movies like 40YOV & KU

... but it just dragged through the middle. I watched the unrated cut and it was 2 hr 17 min.

B

In other words, it's better than Funny People, but not on the level of his earlier films.