Moviedweeb

Weekend Estimates Hobbit 36.7 pg 33

To get to $300M, its going to need some serious push. Namely the critical and awards push as what happened with Fellowship of the Ring.

Fellowship was a blockbuster smash, yes. But some forget its awards run that got lots of people, who had put it off for the first month of release, curious to see it. And boy did they. Look at the strong legs it had. You can thank the reviews and Academy Awards recogintion for that.

So yeah its possible to still hit that mark. But given the mixed to negative reviews and its non-contender status at the Oscars, its... insanely

doubtful.

Hey if Twilight and Hunger Games can get strong late legs then who knows

Crappy numbers for everything that isn't Zero Dark Thirty. I'm inclined to say that box office yesterday was down as a whole. Hobbit increased 54% when its run had been mirroring I Am Legend's. I expect bigger increases all around today.

BY FAR. My top 3 would be

1) Hobbit

2) John Carter( Andrew stanton was coming on the back of 2 highly critically praised pixar flicks and so it was a huge disappointment to me)

3) This is a hard one but to me I would put Battleship. it hugely underperformed considering the genre.

Talk about a hyperbole. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I`m one of the biggest TH anti-cheers around here but putting it in the same category with real flops is proposterous. TH is a disappointment only in regards to ridiculous fanboy expectations. OTOH, JC and BS are flops in regards to actual standards of flopping - budget + marketing. Just stop.

Also, Gitesh`s weekedn estimate of $31 mio sounds too low. Not that I wouldn`t want it to go even lower, die TH die!, but lets get real. It`s a bullshit estimate.

Hopefully Les Miserables and Django Unchained smash next weekend

I think we're going to see Les Mis really impress on Tuesday. Presales are through the roof. sellouts are already popping up in NY/LA, and it seems like the best consensus bet for families on Christmas Day. It's going to fall fast afterwards, though. Think War Horse or Dreamgirls. If I had to guess next Tuesday's dailies- Les Mis- 16m Hobbit- 11.5m Django- 10mParental Guidance- 7mJack Reacher- 6m Still a fairly meh Christmas frame compared to last year.

Hey if Twilight and Hunger Games can get strong late legs then who knows

I`m sorry but why wouldn`t they? THG was a good movie with critical backing which managed to expend beyond book readers and interest others in checking out books. And BD2 had that OMG-freakin-insane battle that beats any battle this year. What new and improved did TH offer? Characters? Nope. Creatures? Nope. Plot? Nope. Pacing?Nope. HFR? Get out of here. It lives entieraly on LOTR goodwill. Except that it isn`t LOTR hence setbacks.

Last year there were much bigger and more appealing movies opening. This year's Christmas has very uninteresting openers.

I`d never call Django uninteresting but that`s just me.Also MI4 is now interesting only because Bird made an exceptional movie out of a tired premise. otherwise, any movie with 4 in its title or being 4 without putting it in a title is a bore. Edited by fishnets

I`m sorry but why wouldn`t they? THG was a good movie with critical backing which managed to expend beyond book readers and interest others in checking out books. And BD2 had that OMG-freakin-insane battle that beats any battle this year. What new and improved did TH offer? Characters? Nope. Creatures? Nope. Plot? Nope. Pacing?Nope. HFR? Get out of here. It lives entieraly on LOTR goodwill. Except that it isn`t LOTR hence setbacks.

Talking about the first Twilight actually. Both that and Hunger Games had strong legs after 60%+ drops
  • Like 1

For those of you who still think 300 is still possible can you show me how it gets there of a 33 Mill weekend?

These Fri estimates are too early and inacurate. Actual must be in $20+ range.Because actual is almost the same as last Fri - midnights, this is obviously Titanicing.Talk about smashing Xmas records will prompt AMPAS to give it a Daldrey spot reserved for critically underappreciated movies by AMPAS favorite directors. PJ is AMPAS`s Daldrey for fantasy and sci fi since they also nominated him as the producer of D9. They did not extend the love to D9 director arguably more deserving contributor to the movie`s quality. Nevermind that TH fanboys claim that Oscar noms help indie movies only and not blockbusters. We`ll pretend this is the costliest indie like Cloud Atlas.If all the above fails Puerto Rico won`t. Edited by fishnets

Talking about the first Twilight actually. Both that and Hunger Games had strong legs after 60%+ drops

OK, you guys should decide whether TH is the first movie ever or LOTR 4. Because Twi and THG are not prequels to anything. Edited by fishnets
  • Like 1

For those of u who think it can still do 300 can u show me how it gets there off a 34 mill weekend.

10.17m Friday 13.73m Saturday (35%) 11.12m Sunday (-19%) 35.02m weekend (-58.6%), 148.17m tally 5.45m Monday (-51%) 12.4m Tuesday (128%) 11.3m Wednesday (-9%) 9.95m Thursday (-12%), 187.27m tally 11.95m Friday (20%) 12.43m Saturday (4%) 10.55m Sunday (-15%) 34.93m weekend, 222.2m tally 8.23m Monday (-22%) 9.47m Tuesday (15%)4.45m Wednesday (-53%) 3.8m Thursday (-15%) (248.15m) 6.46m Friday (70%) 8.72m Saturday (35%) 4.97m Sunday (-43%) 20.15m weekend, 268.3m total. I think it's going to reach 300m. Best case scenario right now is 320m.