baumer

Les Miserables (2012)

48 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I have a question about the barricade fiasco. Never tried to learn more about that part of history but did they think they could instigate the second French Revolution? That wa smy impression because they expected people to rise and they didn`t.

It's based on the real June Revolution of 1832, which was a failed student uprising in Paris following the death of General Lamarque. They thought the sudden revolt following the death of Lamarque would encourage the poor and commoners to rise, but they underestimated how quickly the monarchy could rally troops and overestimated just how much popular support for war there was.http://en.wikipedia..../June_Rebellion Edited by 4815162342

Thank you! So I was kinda right that they were hoping for revolution-type of event.Poor students. I felt really annoyed that they decided to fight a lost battle when they realized people weren`t coming to their aid. Just pointless waste of life.

All right, I've had a little while to organize my thoughts.

1. The 4 minutes of Anne Hathaway singing "I Dreamed A Dream" were the best 4 minutes of any movie I saw this year, and maybe in the last several years. I had no freaking idea how talented she was. She captured everything about Fantine with her face and her singing. I was spellbound and I plan to go see the movie again if for no other reason than to watch that incredible moment again. As I said before, I will seriously be pissed if she doesn't win Best Supporting Actress.

2. I don't know who Marius was but I thought he was awesome. He had some difficult songs to sing and nailed them all.

3. I give Hugh Jackman an A-minus for Valjean. He is a very good actor and a very good singer, just not exceptional at either, but I thought he did great justice to the role. It must be really hard to carry off that role and act into a camera zoomed in on your face the whole time. I just can't give him an A-plus because he didn't blow me away emotionally like Hathaway did, particularly on "Bring Him Home," which for me is the most emotional song of the musical.

4. I don't get the people who think Crowe was mailing it in. I think he was trying his best, but he's a level-B singer in a role than needs level-A singing chops. I don't think he ruined the movie by any stretch but there was a noticeable drop off whenever he sang, I thought.

5. The Eponine gal did very well. She had the 2nd best performance of the movie. Completely blew me away. If not for Anne Hathaway, she might be front-runner for BSA. Holy Moses was she good.

6. Cosette was very good as well, she and Marius soared on "A Heart Full of Love." Great duet between these two.

7. Overall the rebels were really good, especially the leader guy. Helena Bonham Carter and Sacha Baron Cohen provided good comic relief.That reminds me - the little girl playing young Cosette was absolutely magnificent and I was very surprised by "Castle in a Cloud."

Overall I thought the movie was really great and grand entertainment. A worthy adaptation of the Broadway play.

I give it an A-, just outside my top 10 of the year.

• Like 2

B.I liked all the individual components of the movie but somehow it didn't work for me. I'm a musical person but i'll confess Les Mis has never been a favorite of mine. I don't know why it doesn't completely work for me but something is off somewhere and i've never been able to put my finger on it.Anyway, I heard mixed things about the singing going in but I think everyone did a good job and I think the vocals matched the characters. Sounding ~broadway~ wouldn't have worked anyway. And in what must be the most unpopular of opinions I loved Crowe in this and I think he was perfect in the role.But that's enough of that, the best thing about the movie was ANNE who I will now stan for until my dying day. What a flawless performance. Get that Oscar girl!

• Like 1

All right, I've had a little while to organize my thoughts.

1. The 4 minutes of Anne Hathaway singing "I Dreamed A Dream" were the best 4 minutes of any movie I saw this year, and maybe in the last several years. I had no freaking idea how talented she was. She captured everything about Fantine with her face and her singing. I was spellbound and I plan to go see the movie again if for no other reason than to watch that incredible moment again. As I said before, I will seriously be pissed if she doesn't win Best Supporting Actress.

So you`ve seen DU and think this is the best acting of the year, hell, several years? Wow. Gotta disagree. She was great but what DU men do is just beyond extraordinary. And I also think she was better in TDKR. fabulous fabulous Catwoman.

I saw Django Unchained before I saw Les Mis, so what Anne Hathaway did to impress me was shocking. I didn't expect that type of singing or range from her. Django Unchained is more my type of movie anyways(I liked it more), but I still enjoyed Les Mis more than I thought I would.

So you`ve seen DU and think this is the best acting of the year, hell, several years? Wow. Gotta disagree. She was great but what DU men do is just beyond extraordinary. And I also think she was better in TDKR. fabulous fabulous Catwoman.

I thought DU's acting outside of the KKK scene, and DiCaprio was surprisingly ordinary. Jackson had no effect on me whatsoever. I have loads of films this year that I think have better acting than DU, such as Argo, Anna Karenina, Amour + the rest of my top 20 foreigns, and Les Mis.

Wow this movie is really mixed on here. I thought it was really well done, even if the ending dragged a bit and the singing everything was kind of awkward. The music was amazing and the performances were incredible. My favorite songs were "I Dreamed a Dream", "One Day More" and "On My Own"

Wow this movie is really mixed on here. I thought it was really well done, even if the ending dragged a bit and the singing everything was kind of awkward. The music was amazing and the performances were incredible. My favorite songs were "I Dreamed a Dream", "One Day More" and "On My Own"

Not particularly surprised. You could tell that some people just from past movie tastes were never going to like it, and we had haters right off the bat. Plus, it's an internet forum what did you expect? ;)I'm still shocked at the 8.2 on IMDB, that score definitely isn't right, it's fanboy central there. Score should've been a point lower at least. Edited by riczhang

Beautifully shot with great cinematography and a superb cast. Not a bad place at all to start for a film. I just didn't feel that some of the motivations by some characters were fully explained as to make me agree with them. Fantine gets sacked and just seemingly decides to piecemeal her whole body away for money. I get her motivation is her daughter but it appears this decision is made rashly and quickly upon her sacking. She's then trapped in this new lifestyle. Despite knowing the historical situation of the various Revolutions in early 19th century France I didn't see the acts that the characters were so determined to fight against. If you know nothing of the history, even in passing from a H.S. world history class, then the characters don't convince you of the righteousness of their cause. Javert at no point comes across as the suicidal type. That moment literally came from no where as I see it. Still I'm giving it a B cause so much else makes the film enjoyable for other reasons.

Yeah and managed to hold above an 8 for quite a while now. I bet it will drop when Oscar nominations come out and people decide it's "unworthy" though.

I don't think it will. It's entering Oscar season as the underdog-ish of the season. I think it's pretty much stabilised now with 28k votes. Probably won't fall below an 8 if it falls at all. Edited by riczhang

The cast was amazing and I loved them all. Yes, even Crowe. The weak point was Hooper's direction. Just terrible. But one great movie and truly deserves a Best Movie nomination at the Oscars.

• Like 1