jb007

Nolan vs Jackson

65 members have voted

1. 1. Who is Better?

• Christopher Nolan
    • Peter Jackson

But the fact he didn't win was purely political. Same shit with Spielberg during the early part of his career. Nolan is in a similar boat right now. Going to have to sell out with some Oscar bait like Spielberg did.

Or maybe million dollar baby was just a better movie?

Disagree. They are about equally known hence why WB is pushing his name in MoS promo. That ain`t for geeks only.

Agree to disagree. Jacksons name has been around the media since 2001 and got a lot more coverage after his Oscar wins, Nolan has only been widely known since TDK. Jackson has had one hell of a head start. WB pushing his name doesn't make him more well known.

More the pity that PJ is now sticking to the same formula and his range has gone to toilet. It`s worse when a rangey guy loses his range than when the one without it never aquire one. LOTR gave PJ exposure but took away his range because he`s scared to make movies differently, even when they obiviously require different approach.

He messed up once with the lovely bones, that is all. I'd say the tone for TH was perfect. This is the thing, Its not like Nolan takes a risk here and there, Jackson did, he messes up and moved on. I fail to see how that makes him much worse..

Because TLB is a prime example of lost range. How the fuck do you tell an intimate family drama as a SFX fest? He bloated the heaven part as if it was LOTR in heaven and that was just completely ridiculous. Worse, his visuals serve him well as long as he shoots NZ scenery but dear God, what a a garrish kitsch nightmare his CGI worlds are! Always that cotton candy puke sky (Rivendell, Skull Island, Heaven) , always 5 freakin waterfalls, always golden lighting, ugh, enough!

Again, you base your opinion on one movie. The way I see it, Jackson has made a film far worse than Nolans worse, but he's also made 4 films better than Nolans best with a bunch of early movies experimenting in different genres and succeeding. I've not even stated that I think Jackson is the better director, I simply said they are too different to compare. They both have different strengths and weaknesses but using TLB to claim Jackson is worse just makes laugh, its like you're forgetting about his masterpieces. Nolan is very talented but sometimes he gets boring, he does everything by the book and its hard to feel much emotion in his characters (unless you have Michael cane). It's funny how there's more emotional involvement in Jacksons CGI characters than we get with Nolans fleshed out actors. Edited by Jessie

I know they are, but they also recognise talent when they see it. Nolan has never made a film that's been the best of its year, Jackson has, and that's hard for even the political Acadamy to ignore.

"Jackson has"?? When the hell was this?

Btw, Memento was easily one of the best movies of 2000. Way better than the winner of that year, A Beautiful Mind.

• Like 1

Or maybe million dollar baby was just a better movie?

Do what? I'm referring to films like Taxi Driver, Goodfellas, Raging Bull, Jaws, and Raiders of the Lost Ark. All of them came out many years before Million Dollar Baby. And Nolan didn't release any films in 2004, so I doubt you're referring to him. Edited by redfirebird2008

I know they are, but they also recognise talent when they see it. Nolan has never made a film that's been the best of its year, Jackson has, and that's hard for even the political Acadamy to ignore.

Here are the Oscar nominees in 2002, the year Memento was eligible: A Beautiful Mind, Gosford Park, In The Bedroom, Fellowship of the Ring, and Moulin Rouge. Memento is better than all of them. At a minimum it is miles better than Moulin Rouge and should have been nominated for sure.
  • Like 1

Here are the Oscar nominees in 2002, the year Memento was eligible: A Beautiful Mind, Gosford Park, In The Bedroom, Fellowship of the Ring, and Moulin Rouge. Memento is better than all of them. At a minimum it is miles better than Moulin Rouge and should have been nominated for sure.

In your opinion of course.
  • Like 1

I don't know about winning Screenplay, but it should have won Editing. Not sure how it didn't.

I think Black Hawk Down (which won) deserved it just as much. But Memento's screenplay is a masterpiece in itself, and as much as I like Gosford Park, that Oscar should have gone to Nolan right then and there.

Memento shouldn't win an Oscar. It actually presents the reason Nolan hasn't got a nom yet. Nolan's storytelling is about structure. In his films structure is often bigger than the story itself. The meaning of the story and the lives of characters are often lost in the showcase of the offensive structure. This isnt a good taste in Oscar judges eyes. It's a good thing that after getting hands on much more expensive projects like Batman, Nolan is starting to work a lot more one those things, but TDKR brought all my anticipation down beause he's once again fallen deep into his structure obseession sickness.There was a rumors saying he was gonna direct a biographical movie. I really hope he does, cause that requires the real attention to story and characters, and will defnitely elevate his storytelling.

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 1

Memento shouldn't win an Oscar. It actually presents the reason Nolan hasn't got a nom yet. Nolan's storytelling is about structure. In his films structure is often bigger than the story itself. The meaning of the story and the lives of characters are often lost in the showcase of the offensive structure. This isnt a good taste in Oscar judges eyes. It's a good thing that after getting hands on much more expensive projects like Batman, Nolan is starting to work a lot more one those things, but TDKR brought all my anticipation down beause he's once again fallen deep into his structure obseession sickness.There was a rumors saying he was gonna direct a biographical movie. I really hope he does, cause that requires the real attention to story and characters, and will defnitely elevate his storytelling.

I'm going to have to completely disagree with you on this. Just because YOU think the guy doesn't pay attention to story and character doesn't mean it's true for everyone else. I thought the Prestige was one of the best studies on obsession we've seen from Hollywood in a long, long time. Memento was a great study of a man who essentially had his life stolen from him and did everything he could to move on from such a tramautic experience.

I don't see the point of this thread. They are not even close match. You can set vote for the TDK and LOTR trilogy, but outside that Nolan had classics, Jackson had flops. Every film he's done since ROTR sucked big time, Nolan is yet to make a bad movie. Jackson has a half dozen.

Half a dozen? Nah

Jackson is more comparable to Raimi. Both made a name for themselves with popular cult horror movies (Evil Dead, Braindead) before taking their styles to more somewhat more mainstream territory (Darkman, The Frighteners) making successful bids for critical acclaim (A Simple Plan, Heavenly Creatures) and ultimately landing huge mainstream gigs with Spider-Man and LotR.The difference now being that Raimi, despite next year's Oz, is sticking to his horror roots with Drag Me To Hell and his upcoming original horror movie, while Jackson seems content to make everything big now.

• Like 3