jb007

Nolan vs Jackson

65 members have voted

1. 1. Who is Better?

• Christopher Nolan
    • Peter Jackson

Going with Nolan on this one because I feel like he is currently going on a better direction. But if it was just purely TDK trilogy vs the LOTR trilogy then Jackson would easily win.

Pitting one franchise against the other doesn`t say much about directors who should be judged by their entire opus. hence this poll. And that`s where Nolan wins hands down. TLB was a dud by all standards of dudness. TDKR may be individually disliked, myself included, but it`s a rousing success by all standards of success. I don`t even understand why TDKR is compared to TH let alone TLB. Edited by fishnets

Nolan all the way...The Dark Knight Rises was considered a disappointment only because it came after The Dark Knight, which is known to be one of the best movies of the last decade. Of course, if The Dark Knight wouldn't have existed, people would have considered The Dark Knight Rises a excellent movie...(It's just like you compare two numbers: You have a 10 at first and you expect a bigger one following it. 9 comes out. That means 9<10, and that, in your eyes, means that 9 is a total failure, not worthy to appear on the big screen (movie wise), but should've been directly to DVD... You forget that 9, even though is smaller than 10, is still a big number... The same thing works for the movie)Peter Jackson made Lord Of The Rings good, but The Hobbit was disappointing. Yes... I enjoyed the movie, but there was something missing... that something was a thing that would make the movie epic and remembering worthy.

I like Nolan`s personality better becasue it strikes me as honest. PJ burst into public eye through a big marketing gimmick (posing barefoot) that worked in the context of movies he was promoting at the time, but was quickly proven as not who he really is. So once gimmick was laid to rest and PJ became ordinary, magic was gone. That`s what happens to all fakes. OTOH, Nolan is consistent with his intellectual image. I don`t have a feeling he`s playing for cameras.

Edited by fishnets

TDKR was a disappointment to a lot in this forum. Outside this forum it's praised for everything including its domestic gross.Peter Jackson's best movies were LOTR. Nolan has proved he can do great movies outside batman.Nolan is 2-3 movies away from being called great.I would think only Quentin Tarantino is just above Nolan at the moment. Quentin's run is almost done though.

Well, they do different things but Nolan is overall a more consistent and quality storyteller.But PJ does different things...he does spectacle very well, and when it comes to me being excited PJ plus Middle Earth gets me more excited than anything Nolan does.But yes, I will agree with those who said so...Tarantino is better than either of them.Granted, it's a better world where all three exist...since they all do very different things.

Edited by kowhite

And why the hell brought Tarantino in? He's not even in this big-budget big-scale epic movie business.

exactly, QT is purely personal cinema stylist. He follows his mood making movies, IB strikes wider than his cult following, DU may do again, then he might throw you another Jackie Brown or Grindhouse. two mojo demigods showdown is fine (PJ seems to be fallen from the second coming status now), but directors of indie or personal cinema are better left out of the battle.
  • Like 1