jb007

Nolan vs Jackson

65 members have voted

1. 1. Who is Better?

• Christopher Nolan
    • Peter Jackson

If there is a thread on this already, please delete this one.While both love stretching their movies, I personally prefer Nolan. He is more versatile and can manage emotional sequences very well. Jackson did a fantastic job with action sequences in LOTR and KK, But he is the ultimate chewing gum director who just has a tough time editing out unwanted scenes. Nolan has his own issues with respect to pacing and staging action scenes.What say you?

• Like 1

When comparing Nolan's resume to Jackson's, Jackson has somewhat more stylistic range, no two films in Nolan's resume are as drastically different from each other as Brain Dead/LOTR.On the other hand, Nolan top films rival Jackson's best and has never made a film anywhere as bad/mediocre as The Lovely Bones.Their latest contributions to their respective franchises, While TDKR and TH are considered the worst of their respective franchises, TDKR still has more going for it and doesn't feel like they're stretching anything to make the film longer.Overall, Nolan's quality is more consistently good than Jackson's.

• Like 1

While TDKR and TH are considered the worst of their respective franchises...

This is a questionable comment in the case of TDKR, which has a higher RT and MC score than BB and has higher scores on IMDB and Flixster as well. The Hobbit, meanwhile, is unquestionably receiving a less enthusiastic response than the LOTR films on every website out there.
  • Like 1

This comparison makes no sense. Jackson vs Zach Snyder would make sense because both of them forgot that they have range and continue to apply the style from their biggest hit to inappropriate movies.Nolan is way better than Jackson because his movies have subtext that Jackson`s adaptations completely lack. Also, as bad as TDKR was in my opinion, TLB is a complete unmittiagted abomination. Just flat out fiasco on every level. Also, TDKR didn`t lack ambition while TH is the laziest knock-off of a previous success you`ll ever see.Finally, director-writer who creates something original takes the cake over a constant adapter who adds bullshit to a brand name because he thinks he can do better than the source but has no balls to create something original of his own and see how that goes. PJ paddling Boyens shit behind proven brand names is cowardace of epic proportions.

Edited by fishnets

This poll really isn't in Jackson's favor, considering the fact the TH1 is disappointing right now. :P

Plus his other most recent movie, Lovely Bones, really sucked. And there has been quite a bit of backlash about how bloated King Kong was. I liked KK a lot, but looking back on it I agree with some of the haters that it is way longer than it needed to be.

This poll really isn't in Jackson's favor, considering the fact the TH1 is disappointing right now. :P

Both Nolan and Jackson have had a big blockbuster release in 2012 and both of those movies have not lived up to their pre-release expectations. So this thread seemed logical. ;) Edited by jb007

While I did not like TTT and ROTK and was disappointed by the bloat in King Kong, Peter Jackson has proven that he is capable of operating at a very high level and has one of the most successful trilogies worldwide on his resume. .I would hate to relegate him to some lower tier just because he failed with The Lovely Bones and has stumbled a bit with The Hobbit.

This comparison is offensive to Nolan.

Absolutely. I understand that some people cannot accept the fact that PJ is no more in the league but that`s been the case sine KK and TH:AUJ certianly didn`t improve things.

Both Nolan and Jackson have had a big blockbuster release in 2012 and both of those movies have not lived up to their pre-release expectations. So this thread seemed logical. ;)

Absolutely illogical. TDKR popped up on many critic`s Top 10 lists, has certified fresh rating, improved on OS boxoffice without 3D premium and it`s domestic run was screwed by Aurora no way around it. It may not have topped or matched TDK`s $533 mio dom but Aurora did hit it hard because the tragedy was directly related to the movie itself.OTOH, TH has none of the above. I dislike TDKR and think it`s Nolan`s first stupid movie but objective merits of success or lack thereof point at TSKR being a critical and boxoffice success.

:lol:I kinda agree with Fishnets about PJ being more along the lines of Snyder. They're both obsessed with slow-mo, so that's another thing they have in common. :P

PJ made a terrific Heavenly Creatures and then he hit boxoffice gold with LOTR. LOTR had overuse of slo-mo and extreme close-ups and it was epic. So I guess that somewhere in his head an idea grew that slo-mo + close-ups + epic = boxoffice gold, not the story or character. Or something. So he started to apply the formula to movies that aren`t epic in nature and thus they appeared overblown and bloated. KK, TLB and now TH. Get over it. 2012 isn`t 2001-2003 and not every movie needs to be epic in scope. And slom mo need to die, period.Snyde rmade a terrific DotD zombie yarn and then he struck paydirt with stylish, slo-mo and sepia 300. from there, all his movies applied the formula even when it wasn`t appropiate. With diminishing results.However, unlike PJ, it seems that Snyder is reinventing himself with MoS unless the trailer is cleverly cut to hide his worst tendencies.

While I did not like TTT and ROTK and was disappointed by the bloat in King Kong, Peter Jackson has proven that he is capable of operating at a very high level and has one of the most successful trilogies worldwide on his resume. .I would hate to relegate him to some lower tier just because he failed with The Lovely Bones and has stumbled a bit with The Hobbit.

And I think it`s more valid for him to lose credit due to continuing drop in quality instead of keeping one just because he made one popular trilogy ten years ago. The guy`s a one-trick pony and TH is a proof since he can`t even keep the quality in the series that was his forte let alone in movies that aren`t related.Say what you will about Nolan but Prestige wa s anice little movie to follow BB and Inception was insanely infuential big movie to follow insanely influential TDK. TDKR isn`t even a stumble. Not in TDK range but by all standars of success definitely not a stumble. Edited by fishnets

And I think it`s more valid for him to lose credit due to continuing drop in quality instead of keeping one just because he made one popular trilogy ten years ago. The guy`s a one-trick pony and TH is a proof since he can`t even keep the quality in the series that was his forte let alone in movies that aren`t related.Say what you will about Nolan but Prestige wa s anice little movie to follow BB and Inception was insanely infuential big movie to follow insanely influential TDK. TDKR isn`t even a stumble. Not in TDK range but by all standars of success definitely not a stumble.

As I mentioned earlier, I certainly prefer Nolan over Jackson. But he is also hit and miss as far as I'm concerned.Love: Memeto, Batman BeginsLike TDKR, TDKDislike: Insomnia, The Prestige and InceptionPJ:Like: FOTR, Heavenly Creatures, The Frighteners, KK (just the action scenes)Meh: TTT, ROTK, TH Edited by jb007