Dementeleus

Weekend numbers thread (close between TH and DU 31.5-31 so far)

Spielberg's won several Oscars (3; two for directing and one for producing) and awhile Affleck has won one (for Screenplay), being rewarded as a filmmaker solidifies his comeback. And Hollywood loves them a comeback. Don't see how he doesn't win to be honest. He has the narrative.

I could see it happening but it's too early to jump to conclusions. I think we'll know what's winning by the time the PGA or DGA announces.Worth pointing out that at this point in the race Argo is only second to Zero Dark Thirty in precursor awards: http://filmgasm.com/...php?f=5&t=16845My BP slate right now- Lincoln ArgoZero Dark Thirty Les Miserables Silver Linings Playbook Life of Pi Django Unchained Amour Moonrise Kingdom Edited by Gopher

Is this a joke? Les Miz was never going to sniff 200m.

I remember seeing a lot of "Les Mis is definitely going to get 200M!" in the OD thread. :P

This year, I've had applause at Avengers at midnight, Dark Knight Rises, Rise of the Guardians (though it was mostly kids clapping), and Les Miserables. There was a few people applauding at Skyfall, which I think would've been more if the gunbarrel sequence hadn't interrupted it.

People here never applause. Never. That never happened to me.

People applaud to movies at my theater that you wouldnt expect them too- Pink Panther, Madea, Avengers, Hunger Games- that's just cuz it was midnight, Blind Side, ect...

So they're moving the nomination number down to 7?

Nobody knows. They're doing some bullshit "Whatever gets the top percentage in the first choice slot" gets the nod. Which could mean just 5 nominations or maybe 8. Whole thing is strange and their weaselly way outta back-peddling from the 10 film nomination.
  • Like 1

Yep. If its overseas total is weak, it isn't going to be much profitable.

I would assume there has to be a lot more money from avenues we don't know about....there has to be. The highest grossing Tarantino film WW is IB and that doesn't justify giving this a 150 million dollar budget (including marketing)

I would assume there has to be a lot more money from avenues we don't know about....there has to be. The highest grossing Tarantino film WW is IB and that doesn't justify giving this a 150 million dollar budget (including marketing)

Sometimes a producer or studio will work with a filmmaker and a budget for acclaim and the relationship, not to make a ton of money. Harvey knows that DJANGO and QT will make him $$ in the long run.

Great weekend all around, holy crap for Django! :o I way underestimated that one. I still can't believe that a movie like that is doing this well over Xmas, but good for it. I think it's safe to say Tarantino has officially become a big box office draw. He might wanna reconsider that whole retirement thing. Can't wait to see it.Hobbit is less than $20m behind TTT through the same point now, and that gap should narrow by Tuesday. I think it can outgross it and I'm pulling for $350m. We'll see how it holds in 2013. I wonder if it can spend a 4th weekend on top? Django's right on its tail though.Les Mis is still doing great, though admittedly a bit disappointing after that huge OD. Still pulling for the highest musical gross.Lincoln has now passed JFK in admissions as well as far as presidential biopics go, and I think it still has a spectacular January/February ahead of it.SLP is the biggest flub up of the season, as there's no reason that shouldn't be on it's way to a $80m+ gross if it had been marketed and expanded right at all.

Sometimes a producer or studio will work with a filmmaker and a budget for acclaim and the relationship, not to make a ton of money. Harvey knows that DJANGO and QT will make him $$ in the long run.

I agree and understand this to a point. But this budget is so much bigger than other QT budgets and it really doesn't make sense. It would need a IB run at minimum in order to break even for Harvey.