Jack Nevada

85th Academy Awards (24/2/13) Official Thread- TONIGHT!! NOMINEES IN THE FIRST POST

I'm sorry, but I just have to say this. While Riva's performance is great, it's the same as those which you all always call "baity" and Oscar whoring.

Totes disagree. Her performance is so the opposite of chewing the scenery that I'm still surprised everyone was able to recognize her over Jean-Louis.

:worthy:Viva Le JLaw.She's the new Meryl Streep. Oscars on top of oscars on top of oscars.

Never gonna happen. There can only ever be one Meryl Streep, and when she's gone her record of ~25 nominations will never be broken. 

I can see her being the next Glenn Close with a string of back to back (or very closely spaced) nominations before the Oscars take a hiatus on her for a while. But, with a win of course somewhere in there. No one (beside Knightmare) deserves the Thelma Ritter or Glenn Close treatment. :P 

I'm sorry, but I just have to say this. While Riva's performance is great, it's the same as those which you all always call "baity" and Oscar whoring.

:blink:  :wtf:  :ban:

• Like 1

I actually dislike Amour. I give it a C+ I do think it has great Cinematography and was well-directed, but the story held no interest to me. Also, SLP was my favorite film of this year. However, Riva did give the best performance this year, and she does deserve the Oscar. And, I am saying that as someone who adores SLP and doesn't like Amour.

Out of the actress nominees Riva's performance is by far the most shocking. It was one of the more unsettling things I've seen to watch this awesome, proud old lady turn into a babbling wreck who pisses herself. Its also remarkably brave to take a role like this at the age of 85, because who knows if she has a chance of having that happen to her in a few years.

Alright, I guess these are my final predictions.

The ones I'm the most uncertain about are sound mixing & sound editing. I have a feeling Pi will win one of those, but I don't which.

Picture
Lincoln

Director
Ang Lee

Ori. Script
Amour

Ada. Script
Silver Linings Playbook

Actor
Daniel Day-Lewis

Actress
Jennifer Lawrence

Sup. Actor
Robert De Niro

Sup. Actress
Anne Hathaway

Animated

Wreck-It Ralph

Foreign

Amour

Cinematography

Life of Pi

Editing

Argo

Production Design

Anna Karenina

Costume Design

Anna Karenina

Makeup

Les Miserables

Original Score

Life of Pi

Original Song

Skyfall

Sound Mixing

Argo

Sound Editing

Skyfall

Visual Effects

Life of Pi

Documentary

Searching for Sugar Man

Edited by The Stingray

I think this oscar telecast will be the biggest one in years. Not as big as record-brekaing Titanic one, though, but big compared to what came after. Poeple seem to really care for nominees, Affleck controversy is hot and nominated movies are actually seen by the public.