Impact

2013 Best Picture Thread

The Butler's getting strong reviews. If box office is strong enough to gain traction, it could be the 'pathos pick' of the Oscars this year.

This sounds racist, but the Butler is too black to win in a 94% white, 74% male and mostly ancient academy.

So Precious wasn't too black for them, but The Butler is? Unless I'm mistaken and Spaghetti is talking about it actually winning BP which of course will never happen. But with those reviews a BP nomination wouldn't be anything surprising.

Yeah, I was talking about a nomination. A win is completely unlikely. I'm guessing it snags a nod for Picture, and probably Winfrey, too. Perhaps a few nods for more performances and script, if it really does well.

Oops my bad. I thought Spaghetti was talking about a win. And no, I think it'll get a BP nom. Ugh. Puke. Maybe it'll be released too early and die in the festival circuit. A distinct possibility, with the slew of awards contenders premiering in the next 8 weeks, Butler could be buried by the avalanche of greater, more buzzed, and higher profile movies. 

So SPC is giving Foxcatcher a limited release on Dec. 20. I guess it's a good sign that they are confident enough to do that (otherwise they'd probably just push it back to March a la The Place Beyond the Pines), and based on his track record it wouldn't be wise to bet against Bennett Miller. On the other hand, such a late addition to the calendar along with the lack of any promotional materials makes it look like a major dark horse at this point. I don't think it's scheduled to appear in any festivals right now either.

• Like 1

This sounds racist, but the Butler is too black to win in a 94% white, 74% male and mostly ancient academy.

This sounds racist because it is.

anyways I've decided to compile a little list of potential BP Nominees from what I know now. Obviously things are subject to change

The Wolf of Wall Street

Her

12 Years a Slave

The Monuments Men

Lee Daniels The Butler

American Hustle 

August: Osage County

Gravity

inside LLewyn Davis

Captain Philips

Fruitvale Station and Saving Mr. Banks will be my alternates and I do wonder how Terry Gilliam's The Zero Theorem Will turn out.

Nobody at AMPAS knows who Terry Gilliam is.

Brazil, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, The Fisher King, Twelve Monkeys and The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus each received numerous Oscar noms. Granted, Gilliam has never had a film nominated for Best Picture or Director, but to claim he's unknown is ridiculous. He's responsible for more than a few stone cold classics.

• Like 1

CinemaBlend's first look at the Oscars

American Hustle

August: Osage County

Gravity

Inside Llewyn Davis

The Monuments Men

Saving Mr. Banks

Those are some awful winner picks. I can only see half of them conceivably winning. American Hustle, August, and Llewyn Davis. I don't think Monuments has a chance anymore. Nominations it'll do very well, but it's too much like Argo to win. 

• Like 1

Those are some awful winner picks. I can only see half of them conceivably winning. American Hustle, August, and Llewyn Davis. I don't think Monuments has a chance anymore. Nominations it'll do very well, but it's too much like Argo to win. 

Yeah I agree. I literally lolled at them saying "Sci-fi is due!! Gravity must win!" :lol: